Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Seized RG 125 - Tuners / Rebuilder - Any reccomendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RG125_1986

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Seized RG 125 - Tuners / Rebuilder - Any reccomendations Reply with quote

Hi, just joined the site and just brought a 1986 RG 125. The piston has seized (takes what it looks like when I look down the cylinder and see it covered in rust and black crap), it wont move. Have tried freeing it (lots of WD40 etc) but no joy so it looks like an engine rebuild in order. My skill levels are not up to this (I dont think) so need some advice. Loads of people / business say they can strip and rebuild but not sure who to approach. Any recommendations? I live in Surrey, happy to strip it down and travel. Perhaps you know that to strip, replace and rebuild is not that hard and I should give it a go then let me know. Have workshop manual (not the best!). Any advise or help would be great, thanks

Pics of the piston
http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/RG125_1986/library/
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome RG86

PJME are worth considering.
They do a shipping, rebore and piston replacement service and offer a fairly quick turn around. A lad from the SE recently used them and was extremely pleased with this service.

May be worthwhile giving them a ring and sending the barrel as it stands with the seized piston still in there and letting them work their magic.

http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Cylinder_Re-Boring.html

Whatever you decide, please let us know how you get on Smile
TS
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasnt completely stuck id say go for it but be methodical with your first strip down, a half decent socket set will save an immense amount of cursing and if you do have a go take loads of photos and lay the bits out in order as you do them, these two strokes are fairly simple and the satisfaction of doing it yourself is great
RG125_1986

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Decided that I might as well strip her down as other things need doing as well. Will leave the engine for a couple of weeks and then remove it and see how I get on. Almost finished with the radiator (stripped, cleaned and ready for painting (two nights of straightening fins!). Have also started cleaning the head unit, removed carbon and polishing inside (not sure what to do about the exterior).

Already have loads of pics of the work I am doing, step by step but sure I will forget something (thats what these forums are for lol). Will keep you updated, if engine beyond me then will check out the PJME (will at least have saved some money by stripping and cleaning it).

Again thanks for the replies, nice to know I am not alone Very Happy
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me you are not alone here with a siezed and partially stripped two stroke!
If you can seal the ports up try leaving some liquid in there to seep through past the rings then maybe try a little heat, quite often heat helps free things off
RG125_1986

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is the piston is half way up so exhaust port is half open so any liquid I poor in seeps out but I found a solution. The bike is how hanging (forks up) so the liquid doesnt flow out). I keep topping up and will leave for a few days and then see if I can budge it.

In the meantime I have cleaned the head

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/RG125_1986/library/Cylinder

Seems I have to much time on my hands
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the head looks in great condition, job well done Smile
RG125_1986

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 99.99% of the bike to go....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: