Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

SDR200 front brake conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: SDR200 front brake conversion Reply with quote

I was/am planning to fit a larger diameter front brake disc to my SDR200. I have seen SDRs with what appear to be TZR 1KT/2MA 320mm front discs fitted and thought this would be a good start (especially since I've got one spare).

I've got an FZR250 3LN 4-piston brake caliper, which is a straight swap for the standard 2-piston caliper (if using the standard brake disc). I also managed to get hold of a cheapish SP Tadao caliper spacer bracket which fits nicely - preliminary measurements suggest that this bracket should allow a disc of at least 310mm diameter to be fitted (and may even allow a 320mm disc).

The trouble is that the TZR disc is offset by 5mm, whereas the SDR standard disc has no offset. The TZR disc fits, but only just - there is less than 1mm clearance between the fork leg and outermost part of the TZR disc. The 5mm offset also means that the disc fouls the caliper. I tried reversing the TZR disc, but that created other problems!

What I need is a 310-320mm zero-offset disc (about 4-5mm thick) which bolts straight onto the SDR wheel (or a replacement zero-offset carrier for the TZR disc).

I'd prefer to use OEM parts without having to modify anything. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks & regards,
James
James P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I MAY be able to machine 5mm of material from the disc mounting faces of the SDR wheel (and make a 5mm spacer if I decide on refitting the standard disc), but I'd prefer not to do this without exploring other options.

Advice welcome!

Thanks & regards,
James
smithyrc30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get a custom carrier laser/water jet cut out of flat ally sheet? Then get the 310 disc put on to it.
ZXR750 M1
TZR250SPR
NSR250SP
James P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithyrc30 wrote:
Why not get a custom carrier laser/water jet cut out of flat ally sheet? Then get the 310 disc put on to it.

Yes, that is definitely an option Smithy. However, I have had that sort of work done in the past and it wasn't cheap. I'd like to investigate using all OEM parts before having anything custom made...unless I can do it myself!

Regards,
James
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't read the whole thread, but remember this a while ago

http://diffrentstrokers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=807&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any problems with disk offset, it all lined up OK, but I can't tell you what the disk was off. I sourced it from James who's username you'll see in my thread, it was in amongst a selection in his garage.

Maybe he can remember what it's off if you ask him?

Strokerboy did quite a lot with the disks on his 3MA when converting to an USD front end. I think he also had some info on disk sizes and offsets.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
Strokerboy did quite a lot with the disks on his 3MA when converting to an USD front end. I think he also had some info on disk sizes and offsets.

Oh blimey, I'd gladly forgotten all this. Confused

The original 3MA-1 disks from the RWU forks were bigger diameter (298mm) than the ones I needed for the USD front-end I was fitting. Offset and bolt-spacing were the same but the 3MA-3/4/5 or 3XV disks were 282mm, as were the 3LN (FZR250R) discs I used in the end. I think.

arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disk on mine is 298mm diameter and with a 5mm offset running a Brembo calliper from I don't know what. It was just an eBay prurchase. The calliper has the right offset, and the top mount was correct. I made a bracket to support the calliper bottom mount as you'll see on my SDR thread.

The set up works really well using the standard master cylinder and hose. I'd have prefered to use a Yamaha calliper but couldn't find one with the right mounting holes.

Your other option is the Yam 4-Stroke single that used a similar from end to the SDR. Again there's a picture on my SDR thread, but the larger heavier 4-Stroke bike had different fork sliders that mounted the calliper higher for use of a floating rotor disk.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha SRX-4 had a similar front end to the SDR but with bigger brake and four-pot calliper as standard.

I've only seen one in the flesh, so I don't think they're common, but on the plus side, they don't seem to be sought after either so parts are usually cheap.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
Yamaha SRX-4 ... I don't think they're common, but on the plus side, they don't seem to be sought after either so parts are usually cheap.

Yeah, I swapped the yokes/bars on the SDR for SRX400 parts.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pair of (knackered) SRX600 forks on eBay, item number 301656600850. £25 Buy it Now, and he'll take an offer!

The 600 was twin disk so you have two chances of finding a recoverable slider to use with your SDR stanchions.

Obviously you should confirm that the stanchions are the same diameter as the SDR before you go that way...
gammaguy21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look for a second SDR front wheel.
Modify that one and keep the original set up, just in case.
Probably cheaper and easier than either a custom rotor or a full front end swap.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use stock parts, I think the SRX-4 fork slider, calliper and disk is the only way to go. I haven't seen an SDR with a floating rotor that didn't have the calliper on some sort of additional mounting bracket to make it work with the SDR.

I couldn't find a floating rotor same size as the SDR, small disk are usually there because they're cheap, and if you;'re going for a more expensive floating disk it may as well be a decent size...

If the fork tubes are the same size on the SRX as they are on the SDR then you don't have to do a front end swap, just fit the SRX fork slider in place of the SDR one. If you have theSRX disk and calliper it will all just bolt together. If you don't have the brake parts then I'm sure they'll be common to something else in the Yamaha range and available from somewhere.
James P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info so far. I had seen most of the SRX-related stuff, but lacked any measurements to make a firm decision.

This is where I'm up to so far:

The disc is apparently for a Ducati Monster 695. It is 300mm OD, 5mm thick, correct bolt pattern and zero offset. It is an aftermarket Metalgear item; Part No.21-098.

If the disc was 310mm OD, it would be absolutely perfect. Unfortunately, with the SP Tadao adaptor, there is a band of brake pad surface (about 5mm wide) doing absolutely nothing. Thus, I'll have to make a new adaptor to move the caliper 5mm closer to the wheel spindle. I've already made the new adaptor in cardboard - just got to check that it fits properly before making it in metal!

To fit the standard 1KT disc, I would have had to make a new adaptor anyway AND mill down the disc mounting bosses on the front wheel hub by 5.5mm. I daresay a 5.5mm spacer could have been made if I decided to return to the standard disc, but all the extra machining work would likely make the 1KT disc the more expensive option.

I found Metalgear's "search by dimensions" facility very handy in this instance. I've posted the link on a couple of other forums, but here it is again for anyone interested:

http://metalgear.com.au/search_by_disc_measurements.php

Regards,
James
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disk looks great, very light.

Of course your new calliper bracket can't just be in flat plate can it? The one you have looks like it's milled away where it mounts to the fork leg, and I guess it's also cut away on the face that the calliper mounts to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: