Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Just bought a KR1S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toby69

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Just bought a KR1S Reply with quote

Hi all, just bought a KR1S, been looking for an old 2 stroke for a while now. Was really looking at RD 350s mostly but this came up for sale just a few miles up the road for me so I decided to go have a look.

Had planned to get a KR1S away back in 1990 but a bad accident on my 125 this meant I had to get a car instead!!!!

The KR1S basically needs a total over haul & respray which I plan to do over the next few months and hope to have it back on the road early next year.

Where is the best place to get parts? I know a lot of stuff is unavailable from Kawasaki now so where do you get parts like this from?

Also who would you recommend for doing engine work? Think I'm just going to get a full rebuild on it before it hit the road again

Anyway here is a wee pic

Looks nice in the photo but the paint work aint the best so I've already ordered a full Decal set ready for the respray
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think top shaggy on here is the man to ask for all things kawasaki!
And as for rebuilds try mick abbey
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome toby69, I think Paul is being far too kind referring to me, but I do like these bikes Smile

First the good news.. A proper stroker, very nice ! Fastest 250cc production bike in the world (Bonneville 2007 and still unbeaten!!)

Challenging news.. Parts for these can be hard to come by and very expensive depending what you need. Some basic stuff like levers and head gaskets are still available from kawasaki. Don't use a copy head gasket or you will likely regret it...

Pistons and rings long since NLA from Kawasaki but you can get alternatives. Crank rebuild generally possible but expensive. Most bearings and seals readily available etc..

Good genuine plastics are like rocking horse poo !!

If you don't have any engine builders local then Mick Abbey is a wizz with these and used to build them for racers in the 90s.. Good guy and I trust him too. He is based out of Harrogate which may be a long trek. Now has his own RR too which helps. Just don't expect anything in a hurry and you must like chatting over cups of tea Smile

Hope all goes well. Please keep us all posted with pictures and the like. Happy to help if I can Smile

TS
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ! Bike looks great already. Cool

We love that you've joined us on here and we hope you hang around and keep us up to date with your rebuild. Having said that, we're more than happy to recommend the excellent KR Forum, where you'll find many more helpful and generous people with bikes just like yours. We're members of many other bike forums too and that's one of the better ones. Register on there too, put up a similar post to this one and see what response you get. You can never have enough useful information or sources of spares.

But stick around on here too please ! Very Happy
toby69

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSBBadmin wrote:
Welcome ! Bike looks great already. Cool

We love that you've joined us on here and we hope you hang around and keep us up to date with your rebuild. Having said that, we're more than happy to recommend the excellent KR Forum, where you'll find many more helpful and generous people with bikes just like yours. We're members of many other bike forums too and that's one of the better ones. Register on there too, put up a similar post to this one and see what response you get. You can never have enough useful information or sources of spares.

But stick around on here too please ! Very Happy

Thanks

I did register on the KR1s forum and stuck up post very much the same as this one but it said it needed to be approved and not heard anything since!!!

Think it might have been on there I found a link to this place.

I will keep you all updated

Bike has done just over 20,000 and the guy I bought it off said he did a top end rebuild on it but I would rather get a full rebuild and then I know whats what.

Took the tank off for a quick look and the carb rubbers look like they have had it and thats one of the bits I can't seem to find to buy!!! Any ideas where I could find them?
Howie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi toby69,

Welcome to the site. I own a Kr1 & have an ongoing Kr1s project.

If you need the engine side carb rubbers then cmsnl.com have them but carb to airbox rubbers never seem to come up, let me know if you find any because I need four!

Good luck with the rebuild, they really are cracking bikes.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know with the R 35mm carbs the airbox inlet ducts are exactly the same for the FZR1000. I bought an airbox just to get four of them Smile

I wonder if the FZR600 would be the same for the KR1S 28's ? Hmmm
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if the FZR600 would be the same for the KR1S 28's ? Hmmm

Could be worth looking at TS?

I'm fed up with heating my airbox rubbers (plastics!) to melting point every time I need to sort my carbs out Evil or Very Mad
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again proving that ts is a green fountain of knowledge!
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillinghampaul wrote:
Again proving that ts is a green fountain of knowledge!

More like a muppet... Lol
FZR250/400 probably more like it Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: