Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Project RSS50
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Four-strokes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V5 for the Honda frame came today, and the "new" Derbi headlight. I'm pleased about both, but so relieved the Honda frame is now in my name and I can get on properly with the project.

I'm happy with the Derbi headlight, it's just the sort of modern cafe racer look I was hoping for.
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like that
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sort of unexpected, but somehow it looks good. I think I'll use the Aprilia tank and seat unit on the project too, but what I really didn't want was to just put the Honda / Lifan engine in the RS50 frame. I'm hoping that the work I do with the frame will make it different enough from the sources of the parts to be an interesting bike in it's own right, not just a modern bike with a crap engine!
nick69
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught up with this mate and really enjoyed it,keep up the good work.

That headlight looks factory oem,very supprised with how good it looks Cool
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see what this looks like when it's finished. It sounds like the design is, erm, evolving as the project continues. Do you have any pics of the sort of thing you're aiming for ?
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolving, yeh. That's a good way of putting it.

I'd intended to use the MT5 tank and make a seat unit, but running shorter forks and less rake alters the angle of the frame "rails", tips the tank forward, and puts the filler at a funny angle. I can cut the filler out and move it, it's a steel tank, but it's a lot of messin' about, and the tank isn’t in the best of conditions anyway. And I’ve still got a seat and tail piece to make as well.

Having got a big pile of RS50 bits I thought I could use the tank and seat unit from that. It also means I can use the RS50 lock set, with an Ignition/steering lock, seat lock, and a petrol cap lock. The geometry of the RS50 sets the angle of the headstock, and the tank and seat unit all flow back from there. The MT5 frame is steel so I can add bits or cut bits out where I need to.

The bits of RS50 have started to sell, making room in the garage and releasing some funding to go back in to the project. I’ve had a setback in that the engine I’d hoped to sell as is has thrown up a couple of faults. The starter motor has stopped working, and the clutch drags intermittently. If these are straightforward fixes I’d like to sort them out before I sell the engine, and the best way of knowing they’re fixed is to have the engine in the frame, so they’re probably the next job.

Once the RS50 engine is sold the remains of the bike will get broken in to chunks. I can mock up the MT5 frame with RS50 forks, swing arm and wheels and see where the rear shock sits, and if using the RS50 tank and seat unit is really an option. I’ve got engine mounts to make and a chain-run to sort out.

Before anyone comes up with a good idea, I don’t want to put the Honda/Lifan engine in the RS50. That was never the aim, and seems like too much of a cop-out to me.

As for how it will look, the photo above should be pretty close, apart from the alloy deltabox frame rails you can just see. Mine will be round steel tube, and there’ll be an exposed SS50-like engine hanging under the steel tube frame. I’d quite like to keep the RS50 style under-seat exhaust too, made out of a pit bike silencer and some home plumbing… Very Happy

And it'll be blue, because that's what colour the MT5 V5 document says it is. Aprilia stickers peeled, Honda Wings stuck on. It might even have white wheels Tim! Unless I go for easy-clean (no clean) black.

Last edited by arlurt on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project. I like my small bikes. Just got a Derbi 50 added to the collection.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news and bad...

The right footrest hanger was bent in one of the many accidents in the RS50's past, and the footrest ground away, and the rear brake lever bent. And as I want all of these and had spotted what (looked like) a decent hanger on eBay for £7 (including postage) I'd bought it. The "new" hanger came today, and it's as bent as the one I've already got! I've never had any success straightening cast alloy parts, now I've got two to play with has anyone got any tips? Is heat the answer?

I've filed up the foot rest, fitted the real "new" rear brake lever, and put it all back together with some grease and the better of the two bent hangers. It's not too bad and much better than it was.

The "good" news is that the starter motor has started working again. A tap with a hammer and all's well. I think it'll need a clean up and will be OK to sell the engine. You can see it in the photo, the gold cylinder under the water pump. It's tiny, maybe two inches in diameter, no wonder it's trouble.

The clutch still has me mystified. It's possible there's just no oil in the gearbox. It doesn't have a sight-glass, and if the starter motor is on the wet side of the crankcase then I bet it lost some oil when the replacement starter motor was fitted by the previous owner. I'l have a look at the weekend. It would be nice if a change of oil fixed it.

The fairing side panels sold, and for a good price, but the belly pan and "V" panel had no interest. Maybe they always survive the accidents? Mirrors and top fairing bracket up in the next few days. I foolishly committed to buying a new top fairing because it seemed cheap as a factory part at just £60, but it still hasn't come, and the dealer seemed reluctant to cancel my order because of slow delivery. I don't really want it any more, if I have to have it I'll build it up with the good headlight and screen I have and sell the lot. If I can get out of it this weekend and get my deposit back I will. I think I've been reasonable giving them four weeks to deliver.

I'm always amazed how much better a bike can look in a photo than in the flesh. I must stop taking pictures of it!
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stripped an cleaned the starter motor and it's clutch, it's a dinky little thing that drives a ring gear on the generator, so on the dry side of the engine. The clutch and ring gear were both very dry so they've had a splash of grease, all seems to work much better now.

As a first attempt with the clutch problem I've added nearly half a litre of gear oil to bring the gearbox up to the correct level. I don't know how much it holds but it must have been pretty low. Changes gear better now and neutral easier to find, but the clutch still sometimes seems to have a bit of a problem. Good enough to sell the engine though I think.

I messed about a bit more with the new headlight. Painted the side covers so they look a bit like an alloy casting, and modified them to take the Aprilia indicators. Pleased with the result.

nick69
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be pleased mate it looks spot on
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I need to stop messin' about with the little bits round the edges, and playing with the RS50 as is. It's time to sell off the oily bits of RS50, and get on with the Honda project.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I know I said I had to get on with thr proper work of the project, but I got distracted.

I'd like to use the Aprilia clocks, in keeping with the style I'm aiming for, but they looked a bit grubby so I popped the covers off to clean inside the clock unit.

Not too bad, but what I thought was muck on the card background is actually distortion of the plastic. It looks like heat has warped the platic card that site behind the glass, bright sunshine on the matt black card maybe?

I'm not quite sure how to flatten it out again. It's had a couple of hours in a heavy book and no better. I think it'll hake some heat to soften it and pressure at the same time, how about a hair-dryer and a couple of pieces of glass?
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
I need to stop messin' about ... and get on with the Honda project.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that... Taunt
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I borrow something heavy from you to help flatten out my clocks?

Haven't you got a project somewhere that might be just the thing? Wink
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
Haven't you got a project somewhere that might be just the thing? Wink

I have. I keep buying more bikes to distract me from it, I see it's rubbing off... Dance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Four-strokes All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: