Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Project RSS50
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Four-strokes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work on all these bits does contribute to the cause. The headlight, indicators, clocks, footrests, levers, clutch lever, and grips should all go on the Honda. The new parts bought, pads, disks, brake lever and the rest are also for the project Honda.

If the RS50 engine hadn't had a wobble it would've been pulled out of the frame by now, but to get the best price for it I need it in good order. The RS50 is SORN'd now, and I'm comfortable that the engine is good enough to go, so next job is to pull the engine out and sell it, and the exhaust which is also ready to go. I've done my sales video, shame the camera car couldn't keep up with the massive performance of the RS50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuZP_PVJFjs&feature=em-share_video_user

The bottom fairing, mirrors, and top fairing support bracket didn't sell, but as I'm going away for a few days they can all wait until I'm back. There's also the hope that once the bad weather comes, and the only bike you see on the road are ridden by 16 and 17 year olds, there'll suddenly be an increased demand for second-hand bodywork for sports mopeds.

I'm briefly going to be even more short of space while the RS50 is stripped and sold, and the parts that are required are all over the garage. Once I start mocking to the Honda frame with the RS50 wheels and suspension I'll get a little of the floorspace back again. I've got a wheeld rig that hangs from the JSJ in my garage and allows me to suspend a bike frame while I work on suspension.

And because it's on wheels I can trundle it up and down the garage out of the way. If it can cope with the Buell then it'll hardly notice the Honda "50" while I mess about with swing arm and headstock fitting.

I'll have a break for a few days then back to it!
Howie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the video,

That's a nippy little thing Shocked
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with that fat old bloke riding it! Very Happy Just think what they must go like with a typical 16 year old on board...

Wanna buy an engine?
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very jealous of your garage trundly crane thing. The alternative is scary, though I've done this several times now...

arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a trike?

We all manage to find a way of doing what we need to. I sometimes think back to jobs I've done and wonder how I got away with it.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squashed the clocks plastic face plate between an alloy plate, heated to 170 degs C in the oven, and a piece of glass then let it all cool with 8Kg of similarly heated steel on top of the alloy.

It's much better than it was, I daren't go any hotter as the plastic is starting to stick to the paper cover sheets I'm using. I think I'll finish up using an after-market clock setup on the Honda project. Though the Aprilia clocks are quite nice, they don't sit nicely behind the Derbi headlight so I think I'm better off selling them to fund something else in their place, plenty of options on eBay.

To stop myself from being tempted to ride the RS I've done this to it today:

It was light before, now there's a danger of it floating away! It's surprising how much space a bike takes up in the garage as you take it apart, there's bits of RS50 everywhere. I had quite a few parts listed on eBay but only some of them sold. I'm hoping that as the weather gets worse and hardy teenage moped riders start sliding off their mounts then demand for useable second-hand parts will increase.

Stripping the bike down I was surprised to find that the bolts holding the rear subframe to the main frame were only finger tight, and by how heavy the steel tube subframe is.

A quick mock-up of the Honda frame with the RS50 tank:

I need to re-make the tank mounting brackets but I think it'll work. The polished area on the side of the headstock is where the old Honda steering lock was. As a field bike it had obviously been smashed years ago, but the ingenious previous owner had shoved a stick-welder in the lock to stop it coming on by accident. It was a right mess, so I've cut the whole thing out and welded up the hole. I plan to use the RS50 yokes and locks which have the steering lock in the top yoke with the ignition switch as modern bikes do. Once I’ve modified the headstock to work with the RS50 stem and headstock bearings I’ll weld lugs on to the headstock for the steering lock and lock-stops.

The rear shock top mount looks like it’ll be more difficult. I think the tail end of the frame top rail extends too far back for things to fall nicely in to place, I’ll have to put some extra steel in to the frame to hold everything together, then start cutting. Unless the frame top rail is high enough so I can sneak the RS50 shock underneath it. Why do I have such difficulties with rear suspension?

Very Happy
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy got in touch through eBay today asking what other RS50 parts I had to sell. He said he was in the area, and agreed to call in to have a look at the bike. We did a deal for the engine, exhaust and some bodywork, and by half past three the Aprilia looked like this...

I've still got a few parts to sell, and the frame, but have so far managed to recover two-thirds of what the RS50 cost me. Really relieved that my plan to buy all the suspension bits I wanted for the project in one lump has come off OK.

Another engine came in the post today as well.

On the left is the Honda SS50 engine, and on the right a new Chinese engine with a gearbox fault. The latest new engine is 124cc, so I don't think the internals (crank) fit the Honda cases, but I hope the Honda gearbox will go into the Chinese cases. Quite a difference in inlet ports isn't there!
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a state!

Anyone got any good tips for cleaning and repainting corroded brake callipers?

I managed to get the wheels out without too much trouble and all of the M5 bolts that fastened the dusks and rear sprocket to the wheels. Everyone seemed to be on the point of sheering as it eventually decided it would come out of it's hole.

Last edited by arlurt on Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you done with the original motor?
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold the engine on Monday to a guy rebuilding an RS50 with a blown engine for his son.

I've still got some parts to sell if there's something you need?
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Very Happy

I rebuilt some kawasaki AR callipers recently for an AR80 and it was really interesting to find that the same calliper was used on the Peugeot Speedfight 2.. Wasn't expecting that Shocked

Oh sorry.. I was going to say how I cleaned them up... Unfortunately it was boring.. Brake cleaner and wire brush in equal measures.. Oh and the grease gun trick to get the rusted and seized pistons out Rolling Eyes

Look like new now though Wink
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

so what's the 'grease gun tip' matey?

Reggie
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
I sold the engine on Monday to a guy rebuilding an RS50 with a blown engine for his son.

I've still got some parts to sell if there's something you need?

I would of had the motor. Don't need any bits. Thanks.
I have built quite a few of those cub based engines. Upgrade the oil pump if you are going to work it hard.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cameraman wrote:
Hi Shaun,

so what's the 'grease gun tip' matey?

Its the way I get rusted and seized pistons out the callipers ..
Simply put... Put a surrogate bolt into the brake pipe hole to block it off, slacken the bleed nipple and put a grease gun onto the nipple... And pump.

Its amazing how easy it pushes out the piston so you can replace piston and seals etc

The only down side is having to clean out the grease in the calliper - but that's a very small price to pay and takes a couple of minutes

Btw - some say they find it easier with air compressor .. I've tried both and for me the grease gun works best Smile
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone got any good tips for cleaning and repainting corroded brake callipers?

Depends on what you have available?

I usually use a pillar drill with wire brush, a vice & electric drill will do. A lot of calipers are just painted or anodized so it comes off quite easily.

If they are powder coated then its a right pain in the back side.

A couple of years ago I bought one of those cheap ultrasonic cleaners, the ones that are meant for things like jewelry & stuff but prior to that I use to boil the cleaned caliper in a mixture of tap water & a suitable cleaner (non acidic? basically nothing like washing up liquid which would attack the alloy), outside of course on a camping stove etc

1st tip is to heat the cleaned caliper up, quite hot in fact. Then before it has cooled, give it a bloody good wipe down (lint free cloth etc)
2nd tip is to use gloves, maybe should be the first tip Embarassed

Once cool, clean it with something that doesn't leave a film (brake cleaner, white spirit etc)

Then just use a VHT or a dedicated caliper paint (loads of colours available now) And once dry, very dry..... heat it back up (the kitchen oven is best for this but........ Laughing )
But do it gradually, heat it to 100c, let it cool then heat it to 180c. Etc etc, really depends on the paint you use.

Always read the instructions on the tin Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Four-strokes All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: