Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

5 weeks into my AR125 project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

I’d won a bid on E-bay for a princely sum of £20.00, for some AR125 stuff so today we trundled over to Grimsby to collect the parts.

Once I’d got ‘em home I could see that some was just junk, like the side panels that were missing the tabs so, as you’d expect, they were put aside, to go to the tip!

Some of the stuff however was well worth while such as the front brake calliper, which is in much better condition that the one fitted to dad’s bike and will be a straight swap over.

After a short time, I’d got a pile of engine parts, that will be going to the scrap man, including a couple of leaking radiators.

The fuel tank however was in better condition that the tank already in use, so I’ll give it a thorough inspection and see if it’s suitable for some quality paint finishing?

Even underneath only had light surface rust.

I now have a working g spare speedo drive unit.

First thing I need to test is the temperature gauge, fingers crossed eh!

And it’s nice to have a spare oil pump.

So I now have a large box of bits to work my way through including switches, rear shocks, gearbox parts, suspension linkages et al.

I even found a genuine front brake lever (which I need as the one on my bike’s bent), along with front brake switches, radiator mounting rubbers, body mounting clips, even footrests and hangers.

The seat’s even in great condition and ready for a replacement cover, once the colour has been selected to balance the burnt orange panel scheme!

So I reckon, for the price of a bit of fuel, and £20, I got a proper bargain.

Reggie
AR-jack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice haul
whats up with the engine parts? just even if they are ruff it may be worth while to keep then (ive been glade ive kept some of what most people would say scrap cuase they always come in hand especialy when parts are not too common end such XD
even some of the broke plastic help especial when it come to repairing clocks and such

jack

Last edited by AR-jack on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jack.. I wouldn't throw the barrels head etc unless seriously damaged ..

Good haul btw Smile
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR-jack wrote:
nice haul
whats up with the engine parts? just even if they are ruff it may be worth while to keep then (ive been glade ive kept some of what most people would say scrap cuase they always come in hand especialy when parts are not too common end such XD
even some of the broke plastic help especial when it come to repairing clocks and such

Hi Jack,

the barrels have got chunks missing out of 'em, so there's no hope. I'm keeping the engine parts, gearbox clusters etc that don't show sign of obvious damage, as they too could be of use. I've removed every nut, bolt, oil pump, fastener etc from the items to be binned but have kept a small amount of plastic for possible future repairs.

Reggie

Last edited by The Cameraman on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:
I agree with Jack.. I wouldn't throw the barrels head etc unless seriously damaged ..

Good haul btw Smile

Hi Shaun,

nah, they're beyond help matey. If I thought they could be of possible future use, then I'd have kept 'em.

Still a fabulous bargain.

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jack & TS, never throw anything away. The amount of stuff i've repaired with odds & ends is amazing.

I always use to bid on joblots of parts 'just in case' that rare unobtainable part was among them.

And it is always good to have spares, I've helped out a couple of local Kr1 owners finish their builds this way Very Happy
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howie,

well I suppose I could just throw it in big box and try to find somewhere to put it but the badly damaged stuff will have to go then.

I'm the same with my Serow stuff!

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

the project has ground to a temporary halt, as I'm waiting for some parts coming from AJ Suttons! Now into the third week for a sodding exhaust collar to come, which has been delayed because of a front brake piston. Don't ask me about the logic of this and the worse thing is their total lack of communication to let you know whats happening.

One good thing is that I found a much better condition petrol tank in Hungary and that arrived after a mere 4 days.

I've been working mega hours at work, so I've been short of available time to tinker but I'm sure it won't be long before I can re-start.

The problem with this waiting lark is that it's giving me extra time to think about the future paint schemes and whether I go for a standard period colour scheme, or not!

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Guys n Gals,

the exhaust collar has arrived at last!

So all I need to do now is to buck up the courage to go into the garage, as it's snowed over night and it's friggin' freezin'!

Now where did I put my thermals?

Maybe I'll have a diet breaking steak pie and soup, to keep me warm, so I reckon I'll have a later start today.

I've also worn out the heated grips on my trusty 250 Serow, so I'll have to do those first, as she takes priority being my daily ride.

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Reggie.. Its a bit chilly init.. Don't blame you for sorting your Serow out first. At some point you will have to treat us to some of pics of your Serow loveliness especially if its out in the snow Smile
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

here's a shot of my previous XT250 Serow on my commute to work over the roads of the West Pennine Moors. Yeah sometimes I wondered how I got into work, over ice like this!

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold!

You lot from Lancs & Derbyshire don't know the meaning Laughing

Actually it's been a bit nippy here too in East Yorks but I dare not say anything because the natives are still walking about in shorts & T-shirts Shocked

Weirdo's

Anyway, whats with the 'diet' fella? And it should be steak pie & mushy peas.

Laughing
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brrrrrrrrrrt. ... that's a great pic...but it makes me cccccold just looking at it..haha
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howie,

the coldest I've ridden in was -12 deg C and trust me when I say that I'll never do it again!

Howie wrote:
Cold!

You lot from Lancs & Derbyshire don't know the meaning Laughing

Actually it's been a bit nippy here too in East Yorks but I dare not say anything because the natives are still walking about in shorts & T-shirts Shocked

Weirdo's

Anyway, whats with the 'diet' fella? And it should be steak pie & mushy peas.

Laughing

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Guys n Gals,

so for the next couple of weeks I'm working late shifts, which means leaving home at 1:15pm and getting home by midnight, so it gives me a little time for 'tinkering' before I get ready for work!

OK it's bloody freezing out doors today, with a very heavy frost and temps below zero but I was still enthused enough to get out there and to persuade the exhaust to fit, now that the correct collar had arrived.

Anyway she's on and I'm letting the sealant 'go off' until the same time tomorrow before I'll see if I've done a good job or not!

If so, it'll be time to go over her with a set of spanners/screwdrivers/allen keys before heading down to the MOT testing station. If that goes OK I'll then get her taxed and do the registration plate to dad's car, then run her around for a bit - to ensure all's well, before whipping the swinging arm off and sending it to the powder coaters.

Getting excited now!

Reggie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: