Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

5 weeks into my AR125 project
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: 5 weeks into my AR125 project Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

I thought it was about time that I logged onto Photobucket, to give you an update into my first Kawasaki project, with my purchase of an AR125 B3.

Here’s how she arrived a month ago.

She even came with the locking tail piece!

As you can see, she’s in need of some TLC, with the fork lowers looking in poor condition, the foks were also leaking so new seals were needed.

With general corrosion around the bike.

And with some bodged switch gear. I managed to source a replacement damaged unit on Ebay for a couple of pounds, so I striped it down and swapped the switch lever over. Nice and easy job.

But she’s in one piece.

First thing was a look inside the fuel tank, Yuk, or words to that effect!

So I stripped her down and whipped off the carb, to find this mess.

Anyway I dismantled the carb and spent yonks cleaning out all of the clagg and it came out like this.

By the way, this is what came out of the tank!

Looking around the bodywork, it was obvious that there was light rusting everywhere but nothin' too bad. Here’s the grab rail mounting before I attacked it with de-greasing, rinsing, wire brushing, then a few mistings of Hammerite Smooth.

And here's after.

The clutch lever had been fitted with a really poor after-maker design that didn’t even clear the switch gear!

Here you can see the difference twixt that and the OEM kit, with the OEM atop the poxy after-market kit.

A new battery arrived so was fitted, all the connection blocks were dis-connected, coated with ACF50 and re-connected, the key turned and there’s a god after-all, let there be light, and there was!

I removed the spark plug and turned her over a few times, with a splodge of petrol oil mix in the cylinder, then rigged up a temporary fuel supply and bugger me, she started on the third kick!

So enthused by this stroke (or should that be two stroke) of good luck, I attacked many rusty area’s with gusto.

Chain adjusters.

Spacers.

Rear brake.

No where was safe from prepping!

I was most impressed with the fish on the rear wheel, which came up a treat after several hours of effort.

The front’s not as good but still came better than I could’ve hoped for.

As my dad’s also building a project AR125, his fuel tank was available to use, so I switched over the locking mechanism, added some fuel but found a minor leak. This was fixed by replacing the fuel tap seal.

All the body panels, plastics and lights were removed, leaving a naked machine.

As you can see the forks had been removed, as they were somewhat pitted. I managed to source replacement NOS stock, so the next thing to do was to replace the head bearings with tapered types, as the originals were totally mullered.

I even removed and painted the under mudguard supports, so that I knew they were solid.

But drilled out the original rivets and tapped out the hole to accept replacement bolts & nuts.

So here’s how she looks in less than 5 weeks since purchase.

I must admit to be really enjoying the process and I’m amazed at the original build quality of the machine. I’m sure if you tried the same with a current bike (when it’s 28 years old), then you wouldn’t be this far down the road to a successful return to the road.

So my next plans are to continue with the build, with works to the braking systems, replacement cables etc and then an attempt to get her throughout the MOT test. Once done I’ll then transfer the registration plate to my dad’s car, as it contains the letters UKE and my dad’s a very active member of the George Formby Society and anything that mentions a Ukulele is good in their books.

I’ll then decide on what to do body wise, as I do like Shaun’s white beastie, with the early belly pan and without the middle fairing , then do I use OEM indicators or do I look at smaller options, before deciding on what colour scheme to go for (white’s looking favourite at the moment), then to get the swinging arm media blasted and coated in a matching gold, to the rims.

Anyway that’s enough of your time and I hope you’ve enjoyed my five weeks worth of tinkering, performed whilst working full time, and on shifts.

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant pics CM Clap

Its definitely coming along well, top stuff
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great set of pictures Reggie and looks like you have a really good, solid bike there to work with.

Hopefully by the weekend I will have found a belly pan and radiator cover for you if you want to give it the early more naked look.. That said, I really like the colours of your standard early model..

If your going to Stafford Show I may have the white AR on the DS stand (as long as Tim pulls his finger out... Taunt Taunt Taunt ) you can have a look in the flesh and no doubt I won't be too far away if you want to chat..

Friendly Warning though - talking about Kawasaki AR/KR bikes at Stafford can seriously affect your mental stability and wallet..lol

Please keep us updated on your lovely rebuild Smile
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
Brilliant pics CM Clap

Its definitely coming along well, top stuff

Hi Howie,

cheers matey.

I'm really enjoying it.

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:
Great set of pictures Reggie and looks like you have a really good, solid bike there to work with.

Hopefully by the weekend I will have found a belly pan and radiator cover for you if you want to give it the early more naked look.. That said, I really like the colours of your standard early model..

If your going to Stafford Show I may have the white AR on the DS stand (as long as Tim pulls his finger out... Taunt Taunt Taunt ) you can have a look in the flesh and no doubt I won't be too far away if you want to chat..

Friendly Warning though - talking about Kawasaki AR/KR bikes at Stafford can seriously affect your mental stability and wallet..lol

Please keep us updated on your lovely rebuild Smile

Hi Shaun,

yeah please let me know when you find the belly pan and radiator cover.

My middle fairing has a crack right through it so I'd prefer to remove it, rather
than fix it and I simply prefer the more naked look.

As for Stafford, I'll only know my working shift on Saturday, so if I'm off, I'll be there!

My mental stability is iffy at the best of times, so I'll happily fit in.

And now I've remembered my Photobucket account details, I can easily add further images.

Reggie
AR-jack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she's looking good!! nice to see another AR comming back to life XD

jack
fazey
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good reggie. Yours will be ready way before mine. Interested in what your old mans bike is all about. Any chance on a few updates on that too.
Did you sort the rear sets out. Gagging to order some but waiting on yours to see them fitted.
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR-jack wrote:
she's looking good!! nice to see another AR comming back to life XD

Hi AR-jack,

I'm really looking forward to getting her back on the road, I believe it's many years since she was last ridden and she deserves some TLC.

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fazey wrote:
Looking good reggie. Yours will be ready way before mine. Interested in what your old mans bike is all about. Any chance on a few updates on that too.
Did you sort the rear sets out. Gagging to order some but waiting on yours to see them fitted.

Hi Fazey,

dad's project is still in the early phase but I'll be grabbing some shots when I can. He's currently working on a set of endurance racing, clip on, handlebars.

Reggie
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:
If your going to Stafford Show I may have the white AR on the DS stand (as long as Tim pulls his finger out... Taunt Taunt Taunt )

As long as it's only my finger I pull out... Giggity

Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooher... That's a little below the belt...hahahahahaha
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, so it was you TS.

Allegedly this was the speed camera that rusted through only an hour after someone (TS!) had wantonly vandalized one of our precious life saving devices.

Alas it fell on to a bus load of nuns on their way to a Daniel O'Donnell concert killing them all, shame on you TS Nono

Leading to the Nuns & St Peter joke,

You should hang your head in shame TS Laughing
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

yippee, I can go to Stafford!!!!!!!

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cameraman wrote:
Hi Guys n Gals,

That's brilliant !! Hope to see you there Thumbs Up
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top-shaggy wrote:
The Cameraman wrote:
Hi Guys n Gals,

That's brilliant !! Hope to see you there Thumbs Up

Hi Matey,

sure will!

I can't wait to get there and will be accompanied by my dad Fred, who'll be absorbing the whole atmosphere of the event.

I reckon it may be an expensive day!

Reggie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: