Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Honda Ns125
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Honda Ns125 Reply with quote

There's been a lot of pesky Kawasaki projects on here of late Laughing

So I thought I would make a start on my Ns125

[img]

Start of the strip down, must remember to get some m8 helicoils!

I know, here's a good idea, why waste money on new swingarm bushes when you can just powder coat the swing arm & leave them in place!
[img]

Think I had better check the bushes & sleeves in this too.....hmmmmm
[img][/img]

How many bearings do you actually need in a bottom yoke?
[/img][img]

Honestly, this is what I found when I removed the stem, none left if the bottom race (which had also been left in place for powder coating Rolling Eyes )
Bit of an oil leak here, think its coming from the pump
[img][/img]

Sorry its a bit difficult to see but there is a lot of Silkolene comp2 sitting on this engine.
And finally one especially for Reggie.....
[img][/img]

Bloody Microns Laughing
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Mr H.. your right kawa activity overdose so it will be great to see your Honda getting a little tlc Smile

Is the micron catching the swingarm?? What you need suspension for anyway..lol
Howie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What you need suspension for anyway..lol

Are you saying I should hard tail the Ns Shaun? Laughing

Just finished for the day & this is what I found in the swing arm/shock linkages
[img][/img]

Bugger...........double bugger........
I can't shift the bolt you see in the pic...........will apply heat & swearing tomoz, that'll shift it.

Haven't found anywhere that still has the bushes/sleeves so It may be down to a bit of lateral thinking to replace the parts.

I do love a challange Very Happy

Ooooh & please keep the Kawasaki projects coming, I really am a Kwak man at heart Dance
Howie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good example of an ebay 'bargain' this one.

None of the engine bolts, wheel spindles or swing arm bolt had any kind of grease on them, actually tell a lie, the rear wheel spindle had but that was because I removed it to fit a new sprocket just to see if the thing worked! And greased the spindle because that is what you do

Giggity

Love the giggity emoti..thingy, I think I will use this a lot during this rebuild.

All the important bolts are a mismatch, some look like Honda, some like Yamaha, some are off the shelf at B&Q

Evil or Very Mad

I think what I have here is a bike made from Ns 125rk parts & Ns125f parts, lashed together to sell on ebay. I should have known when I had to reapply for the V5 using the the green slip (v5c?) because the seller couldn't be bothered to send off the proper V5.

But the numbers match the V5 & so I prefer to look at it as another stroker being rebuilt & ready for action by someone who loves the stupid bloody smelly things other than someone out for a quick profit Love

I've set a budget for this one (£250 on the road excluding insurance & road tax)............ sorry emissions tax? Hang about, if I cannot sell a bike with road tax nowadays does that mean it is me who is road taxed, so therefore If I have already paid road tax on one vehicle then surely that road tax should apply to any vehicle I have on the road or am I just being simple? Hmmmmmmm I'm pretty sure you can only ride/drive one vehicle at a time. So are the new laws on road tax a tax on the vehicle or a tax on the owner? Hang about I'm going off topic as they say.

Yes, so £250 to get my Ns125 back on the road............

Don't stand a chance do I Laughing
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see pictures of what your up to rescuing eBay specials Thumbs Up

I wonder.... If you find a cheap replacement for the suspension bushings, maybe you can sell a few sets to offset the hefty rebuild budget Giggity Giggity Giggity (oops got emotive trigger finger..lol)

Quite fancied an early NSR125 .. then again I used to want a early RG125 too and almost bought a TZR125 brand new (and would have done if the shop owner wasn't so full of himself..)

Thankfully my blood stayed fast green... Burnout
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howie,

thanks for the progress report and the footrest/brake pedal shots!

Looking forward to see how you get on with this.

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gents,

The search for swing arm bushes has thrown up a couple of options. David silver has OEM at £12.60 each or one of my suppliers can do a similar item for £7.20 a pair (probably Chinese made Thumbs Up )

Hmmmm, which shall I go for? Hee hee.....

As for the linkages, I have checked David silver, cmnsl, lings & various other Honda parts suppliers. Cross ref. Mtx125 parts but I just can't get any of the aforementioned to supply sizes, I'm pretty sure the Mtx stuff will fit but at the price they want, I need to know they'll bloody well fit.

My other option is to fit oil filled bronze bushes & have some sleeves made. The rear shock bush is rubber mounted on these models, so may have to buy OEM on this, grrrrr

Bizarrely I have some grease seals which will fit, that belong to a Yamaha moped front arm repair kit? Just remembered i have some NOS stuff lying about so i will have a good look through my Kawasaki NOS parts to see if there is anything I can use to build up the shock linkage.

And NO the bloody bolt from the linkages still hasn't budged, got some home made penetration oil on it at the mo, so I'll check it again in the morning Pray
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These arrived today,

Just waiting on the bronze bushes & me to blast & paint the linkages. I have no need of the rubber bushes (these are a generic shock absorber bushing kit(s)) but the sleeves are pretty much what I was hoping for.
The white bushes are for the swingarm

Needed a bit of tidying with a stanley but brilliant fit. I have the option of using the steel inserts or the original sleeve. The bushes are lipped (just) to stop the sleeves sliding all the way through, my original sleeve is erm.... not so good

You can also see the remains of the 'powder coated' bushes Laughing

Also had a chance today to start stripping the engine, I'm pretty sure something is missing off this.......

Ho ho ho, fortunately I have a couple of Nsr125 thermostats that will fit, just need to test them.

On the plus side & its a big plus side, the barrel is perfect Shocked
Not sure if it had been re-nikasiled or if its just a low mileage barrel but you can still see the cross hatching of the hone...... blimey
The piston looks perfect too but I think I will pop a new'un in just for peace of mind.
The crank has no play Dance However there is a lot of oil on it, too much in fact & when I checked the gearbox oil, it was low, very low.

It don't matter though, do it, I am rebuilding the engine anyway. Just not sure if I want to actually add some show to this bike, I normally aim for 'go' & who cares what it looks like Embarassed
Do I change the habits of a biking life time?
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howie,

great work and it sounds promising that the engine's in better nick than the chassis!

Keep it up.

Reggie
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like one of those special high flow thermostats, they also make you engine run really cool and if im sure cool means good!
Howie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like one of those special high flow thermostats, they also make you engine run really cool

Must have been a nightmare warming the engine, I have always used the start engine, roll a cig, smoke the cig(not generally accepted nowadays), attach motorcycling safety wear, slip clutch, ride according to conditions....method, with this bike I would have had to tripled that.

Anyway, had an hour or two free today, so did this.........

I really don't enjoy this side of building bikes Sad

Problem is, I have to get me mad professor hat on either tomoz or Wednesday or they'll start to rust again Evil or Very Mad
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of you in the mad professor hat please!

And i tend to smoke after getting the gear on then its just lid, gloves and go!
But im definately doing less of the smoking now im using a vape thing, still cant beat that first smoke with a coffee though

Enjoying the build, keep the updates coming
Howie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
still cant beat that first smoke with a coffee though

Oh GP, me & you both fella, roll on tomorrow morning Very Happy

I have limited my coffee to erm, a few cups a day now. My problem is, I can't drink that instant coffee & it has to be the proper stuff & as strong as possible Very Happy

Otherwise I get the jitters Crying or Very sad

My wife is trying to get me to cut down on the cigs & she is right, if I'm honest, its only the first cig I really enjoy or the one after a meal, or the one with a beer, or the one.............I think I need help Laughing
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a decent vape thing, theres a flavour called ry4 get some of that, its very good to start, dont get a pen though get a proper vape thing!
I can tell you more if you want?
Its one of the best things iv done, even with the couple a day i smoke now iv felt my lungs clear out and iv got more energy too, it tastes and smells better and is actually a suitable substitute! But its addictive Shocked
And i drink too much instant, but really really like a proper coffee when iv got time or facilities but spend alot of time out and about and a costa machine doesnt cut it at that price!
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillinghampaul wrote:
Try a decent vape thing, theres a flavour called ry4 get some of that, its very good to start, dont get a pen though get a proper vape thing!

Go on... Show us your Vape thing !

(I really want to see it, I do... Can't help thinking of frankie Howard though for some reason ... Shocked )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: