Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Honda Ns125
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried a Vape, tried patches, tried gum, tried plastic cig looking thing, tried tablets & tried sprays.

But I like smoking...........& I hate it in equal measure. I will quit....I will

Anyway, onto more important things. Did some zinc plating today

Just previewed it, terrible photo!

I really am a bit hit & miss with this sort of thing, one day I'll have the money to farm all this stuff out (it's getting every bit back I worry about).
I will polish up a couple of the parts (don't like polishing anything but....) because sometimes the process leaves things looking a bit dull.

Still need to do spindles etc but I'm not going mad because this isn't a full on factory spec refurb, so not much more to do plating wise. However I'll be getting the DIY powder coating kit out next, I actually don't mind powder coating Shocked

So come on you Kawasaki boys, get a move on, I'll be finished & on to the next one before you know it Taunt Laughing
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, and while we're on the subject of doing things on the cheap(were we? I don't know Confused )

I've just ordered some paint for the wheels & the engine.......from Toolstation.

Never painted wheels before, so that should be fun Rolling Eyes

So I'll give it a go & let you know, refurbing bikes shouldn't cost an arm etc
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that home made zinc plate? I think I remember seeing a post about the DIY version somewhere on here but couldn't find it with "Search".

How's it done?

I've got some bits that look pretty sorry at the moment that would really benefit. I assume you have to blast the parts first to get them properly clean and to provide a key?
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi arlurt,

The cleaning process is 'best with blast cleaning & then cleaning with an approved cleaner' from the kit supplier. Hmmmmmm

However......me being someone who doesn't approve of paying extortionate amounts for things we can do ourselves has found ways round these things.

It just requires more attention to detail........

Blasting is the best but you still need to clean the parts after.
Brick cleaner will strip rust (needs quite a few hours, best to use mechanical means first) but more importantly original zinc plate .

The kits they sell online or ebay include costs of things you can find readily around the house, the chemicals really aren't that expensive.

After saying all that, if I had a lot of original fixings that I wanted to restore to original, I would put it all in the hands of an expert.

But these things are handy to have at home Very Happy If you just wanted to restore 'a rusty bolt', these kits are perfect
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry arlurt,

I've gone off an everyone tutorial Embarassed

What I'll do Is a step by step thingy when I get round to doing the spindles.

I'll also try to find out which chems you actually need & let everyone know what bits you really need to do you're own home plating.

After all this forum is meant for enthusiasts & its good to share Very Happy
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:

What I'll do Is a step by step thingy when I get round to doing the spindles.

I'll also try to find out which chems you actually need & let everyone know what bits you really need to do you're own home plating.

After all this forum is meant for enthusiasts & its good to share Very Happy

Top man !! Thumbs Up
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an idea, I'll post in technical
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it, thanks. Very Happy
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matey,

you're doing a fine job ad I'm looking forward to viewing your tutorial postings.

I must admit that I'd love to add some kit to the garage, such as a basic media blaster, a parts washing station and even a basic grinding/polishing wheel set but very short of dosh and space!

One day though I'll wi n the lotto and have a workshop of workshops!

Reggie
Alastair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
I haven't tried a Vape, tried patches, tried gum, tried plastic cig looking thing, tried tablets & tried sprays.

But I like smoking...........& I hate it in equal measure. I will quit....I will

Anyway, onto more important things. Did some zinc plating today

Just previewed it, terrible photo!

I really am a bit hit & miss with this sort of thing, one day I'll have the money to farm all this stuff out (it's getting every bit back I worry about).
I will polish up a couple of the parts (don't like polishing anything but....) because sometimes the process leaves things looking a bit dull.

Still need to do spindles etc but I'm not going mad because this isn't a full on factory spec refurb, so not much more to do plating wise. However I'll be getting the DIY powder coating kit out next, I actually don't mind powder coating Shocked

So come on you Kawasaki boys, get a move on, I'll be finished & on to the next one before you know it Taunt Laughing

I use Brinksway Plating in Stockport. They'd typically charge £20 to do that lot in whatever colour you want. Cheaper and easier than doing it yourself.

CBR1000RR6 (0 - Court in 2.5 seconds)
NS400RF
MTX80RFD
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They'd typically charge £20 to do that lot in whatever colour you want. Cheaper and easier than doing it yourself.

Totally agree Alastair & as I said in a previous post, if I had a lot to do I would send it off to the experts, far better results than I could get.

However, if you do small quantities but often, it does work out cheaper to buy a kit or at least the chemicals required, don't want to be paying over the odds for a plastic tub etc Laughing
Howie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight inconvenience today, started cleaning the rubbish top yoke & found this

I was going to replace the top yoke anyway because it was crap but it just goes to show! Problem is you would never have known the top yoke was cracked just by looking the bike over, it has only come to light by cleaning the bloody thing up.

Can't wait to see what I find in the engine.............
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howie,

blasted thing.

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracked alloy... Along with ZX6 frames a nasty surprise when it comes to light Sad

I'm not a fan of steel top yokes but at least when they bend you have a fighting chance to see it / recover it.
Howie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi blasted Reggie Laughing

Ordered another used one today, off ebay, weyhey........hmmmm

£9 more off the £250 budget, so down to £201 now after the purchase of the swing arm/shock linkage bushes & new top yoke

Ooh tell a lie, £186, bought new after market head race bearings, oh & £6 for a tin of white spray paint, so £180 Crying or Very sad

I've still to buy a screen & wing mirrors (£60?) New after market bearings & seals for the engine (£25), new piston kit & small end bearing (£30)

Its not looking good is it? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: