Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

boomerrang Bike (Yammagamma)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Specials / Hybrids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: boomerrang Bike (Yammagamma) Reply with quote

Bit of story to this one, which i will try not to bore you with Very Happy

My first Yammagamma was a C reg MK3 (C554 HOK) with swarbrick pipes and a pepsi paintjob. it never reaaly ran perfectly but I really enjoyed trashing it around the roads of bedfordshire. But as I was unable to sort the problems with it I swapped it for a 250LC.

Fast forward a few years and I bought this off ebay from a bloke, north of newcastle. The description in the ebay add could have been for a completely different bike Shocked

The exhaust headers were rotted through, the powervalve spools were worn down beyond use, it was badly painted, covered in stickers and filthy! and yet I still handed over my money and bought it home Rolling Eyes

I partially stripped it and started to clean it up. the exhaust went back to swarbrick to get some new headers made, I added a coolant expansion tank (off an LC), got the powervalve spools welded up so i could dress them back into shape and made a stainless steel chainguard for it.

the Plan was to get it back on the road for the LC Club wales rally but one day, whilst working on it, it fell off the paddock stand and damaged the bodywork and I then started to lose interest in it.
So i stuck it up for sale and My Bolas bought it, along with a load of other RG250 bits and bobs I had bought off Gagster.

Several months pass, one house move later and suddenly Kar from PB keeps going on about wanting a Yammagamma, this re-ignites my interest and I start looking around for a suitable project (ideally another MK3) and end up with a red mk3 RG250 with a bandit rear wheel and CBR600 front end in it Very Happy
Before I had even had a chance to rip the standard engine out and replace it with a YPVS one, a completed Yammagamma appears on ebay.
a few subtle enquiries reveal it is the same MK2 as owned previously but it has been stripped and rebuilt, loads of bits powdercoated, new exhausts, new tyres bought, even taxed and MOTed, but the starting price was way beyond my budget. But it doesn't sell and was relisted with a lower starting price Smile
So my RGV250 VJ21SP and the Red RG250 get sold and I manage to buy the Yammagamma back Very Happy

So far I've set the oil pump up correctly and finished running it in.
it still needs a bit of work as the rear shock has lost all its oil and therefore has no damping Evil or Very Mad and it could with the rear panels being resprayed back to the standard colours and I'd like to ge the exhausts chromed but a change in finances mean that these might not happen for a little while. The only other change i wanted to make was to add a solo seat convertor but with these being fairly rare I thought I was goin gto have a year long search followed by a bidding war on ebay Rolling Eyes but whilst trawling the autojumble at the stafford show I managed to find a genuine suzuki one, still in the original colours, for just £20 Very Happy
Anyway I'll add some more pictures after next weekend.

Cheers
Tom
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tom. See if you can hang on to it this time. Wink

Darin almost had that seat cowl for his Walter-Wolf Mk.3 but we couldn't agree what model it was off... Embarassed
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got no plans to sell this one, although I already have a buyer for it if i do change my mind Rolling Eyes

The solo seat cowl for the MK3 is very different to the one for the MK1/MK2 and looks like this:

Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that WE Yammagamma is going to stay as a special...so many are turning up without engines: I've been wondering if they are worth more to the LC crowd as just engines rather than as complete bikes!

Really is a special moment finding a WD/WE special part and not having to pay mega buck ebay prices for it! I managed to get a single seat and a set of fairing bottoms in a whole load of bits for not very much in the spring...well chuffed! not so chuffed when the MOT'er scratched the blazes out of the fairing bottoms last week Twisted Evil

Re Solo cowls.... Lots of cowls going around at moment which LOOK like they are WE versions [i.e. Light and mid blue decal follow bottom edge] but they ARENT going to fit the WD/WE back end...
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the rekindled interest in the LC (and YPVS) coupled with the RG not having the same following probably means you are correct.

Complete and unmolested examples of the RG250 (all models) should start to increase in value due to the rarity of them, but having owned a MK3 in walter wolf colours and being very disapointed with how slow it felt I would never own another standard RG.

Let us know if you see any more engineless WD or WD models as I know a man who'd be interested in one Wink
Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he wants a GJ21A frame with V5C [with some rubbish forks and enough bits on it to roll around] I've got one mouldering under a tree....

I'm wondering how many of the original 200 UK WD's are left...I've not seen one for years - The imports will keep supply relatively high compared to the limited market [think about it, not many around new will mean not many will want to spend their rich middle age reliving their youth] so I think values will remain low and they continue to be broken or modified until extinction...don't think they'll be "worth" anything other than parts Sad

Only worth for me is they make a great little bike to potter around on [but yeah, could always do with just a bit more power...perhaps I need a Yammagamma as well Embarassed ]

p.s. Just a thought Tom.... I actually like the side panels and tail in that dark blue..it was one of the things [apart from engine Laughing ] I really liked about the bike when it was on ebay
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigside_Pete wrote:
I'm wondering how many of the original 200 UK WD's are left...I've not seen one for years - The imports will keep supply relatively high compared to the limited market [think about it, not many around new will mean not many will want to spend their rich middle age reliving their youth] so I think values will remain low and they continue to be broken or modified until extinction...don't think they'll be "worth" anything other than parts Sad

I never had one back when I was 17 or whatever but I still want one now for some reason. Standard Mk.1 Gamma that is, not a hybrid. Can't take on another project though... Rolling Eyes

UK or import, I'm not bothered. Wink Look nice next to my KR... Cool
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigside_Pete wrote:
If he wants a GJ21A frame with V5C [with some rubbish forks and enough bits on it to roll around] I've got one mouldering under a tree....

Only worth for me is they make a great little bike to potter around on [but yeah, could always do with just a bit more power...perhaps I need a Yammagamma as well Embarassed ]

p.s. Just a thought Tom.... I actually like the side panels and tail in that dark blue..it was one of the things [apart from engine Laughing ] I really liked about the bike when it was on ebay

I'll ask him about the GJ21A frame and bits, but I reckon the answer will be: "Yes Please" Very Happy

as for the original 300 WD models, I've only seen one standard one in the last few years and it might be up for sale again soon. (Yes Tim, I will let you know Wink )

The blue panels on mine are ok, but the paint is cracking and failing off in a couple of places so they need repainting and I will probably get it done in the original colours to match the solo seat cowl. But it looks better than the black it was wearing before.
cheers
Tom
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

random pic of a yammagamma being (ab)used Shocked Very Happy
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw your bike at Donington Tom, very nice. Very Happy

There seems to be a bit of a Gamma resurgence going on at the moment. I haven't seen one for years, then there's yours plus an original Mk.2 at Donny, then Pete puts his Mk.1 on show at Bristol and the next week there's 4 on Ebay and more appearing on here all the time. Cool

Maybe it's 'cos LC's are way too pricey now ? Confused Gamma's are the next big thing I reckon, whether original or with a Yamaha engine transplant. If only I had some spare money and space in the garage... Crying or Very sad
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chat with the bloke who owned the Mk2 on the suzuki owners club stand. He'd owned it since it was 18 months old Shocked and still enjoyed it.
Mine has (finally) had some workshop time. the naff rear shock has been replaced with one with damping and the head bolts are now stainless steel.
It now doesn't bounce you out of the seat when you hit a bump Very Happy and pulled to the redline in top, down a local road.
Roll on Summer Laughing
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next months CMM (out end of August) apparently has a bit of a yammagamma feature Very Happy

Mine has been joined by another Twisted Evil

Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you buy Mick's bike[s]? [that looks like one of 'my' repro decals Embarassed ]
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigside_Pete wrote:
So did you buy Mick's bike[s]? [that looks like one of 'my' repro decals Embarassed ]

Yep, I cleared out Mick's garage of RG250 stuff. the Mk2 (that i bought off him) is up for sale and the mk1 will be built up Very Happy
Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got it all for what he was asking, then that's a stellar deal Laughing

If you put a yammaha lump in it, i'd be interested in the J201 lump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Specials / Hybrids All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: