Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Honda NS50F

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Honda NS50F Reply with quote

We can only dream of locating a bigger NS on this side of the pond, but I figured I'd whore out my little Nancy. Picked this NS up last summer and have clicked down 2000 miles of commuting and in town riding. I've only had one line on a bigger NS125, but had to pass as it was when I was picking up my RG250.

Not going to lie I cringed bringing a honda home to my Suzuki Stable, but can't beat the reliability, pleasure, and price of the ns50. Doubt I'll ever sell her unless someone blind sides me with a ridiculous offer(everything is for sale for the right number)

Here's she is getting picked up from the previous owner;

Picked it up running and riding. A fella and his pops fixed this one up and posted it on fleabay. I caught wind of it and jump without hesitation. I've had a couple shifty fifties(rx50, and a couple MB's) but never had the joy of saddling up a NS. After a quick title, tag and registration I brought her along for our first day commuting;

Such a fun ride! Replaced the rear/side fairings with a set that had OG decals. I'll be swapping some fresh tar on soon as I find someone that can get me a matching front for my rear Pilot Sporty I picked up. If anyone can get and ship one to me I'll make it worth your while! All my UK distributors have some crazy shipping prices..

Once I traded my blank side/rear plastics for a set with decals. It really made the bike for me. Reunited and it feels soo good!

New homemade workbench to get me out of the shop and into some of this gorgeous weather.

It was time for the first major round of maintenance - Drained and swapped all new fluids(gear oil, engine oil, and coolant), first good cleaning, and chain clean/lube/adjustment;

Video of shenanigans;
www.instagram.com/p/BCq-XJSDDLA

Left on the list is a clutch rebuild and freshen up brakes once I find a front and swap my new tar on. I am always on the hunt for a few bits; front headlight cowl, engine cowl/chin fairing(of course). Down the road she'll may get a decent wheel/disc brake/fork upgrade.

Thanks for reading! I'll update this thread as I tool on her
jim157

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cool little bike. The spoked wheels and drum brakes look like they belong to a bike twenty years older, when compared to the rest of the bike...
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same engine as this I think.

Even more fun on 12" wheels ! Laughing

andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Same as the NSR gag engine.
Alastair

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same engine was fitted to many small capacity Hondas being originally intended for the MBX/MTX range. There are quite a lot of subtle differences between them with different cylinders, cylinder heads and carbs from the same tooling. AFAIK, the fast stuff is the UK MBX stuff. The German and French stuff is down on power. The MTX stuff appears to be tuned for more midrange but had the same claimed power for the UK bikes.

CBR1000RR6 (0 - Court in 2.5 seconds)
NS400RF
MTX80RFD
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NS and the NSR gag bikes were Japanese market bikes. You get a full 7.2bhp with these! Laughing
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, its a blast to ride on my 2 mile in town commute! Although it's a hoot and super reliable.. It leaves me lusting for more power each shift!

Correct, same engine setup as the NSR gaggers. I've been on the hunt for a decent priced nsr heart to keep the stocker on the shelf and go a little wild with another engine. Not many around here on this side of the pond, but I always have an ear to the ground for one.
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many motors around in the uk. I grabbed a spare as soon as i'd seen one. Though probably won't use it now. Not planning a holiday so I can't put it in my luggage Laughing
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah thanks anyway Andy! Keep me posted when you plan a trek this way, I'm sure the tiny power plant will easily fit in the overhead compartment Wink

Finally with the help from Rob(bobbyboy) I was able to get the matching front tire!! Once the RG250 is back together I'll pull her in the shop and swap everything around.

Nancy gets rewarded for being so fun and reliable. New tubes/tires, brake shoes, and battery.

Had a spare minute so I cleaned out the battery tray and dropped in the new battery.

steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years searching and finally some results! Never had I thought I'd scour the face of the earth to find a set of fairings to put back on one of my motos. This is now the only Honder that will never leave my collection.

Should be getting the new tires/brakes on sooner than later now!
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a cracker in the new clothes. Lovely little thing Smile
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great.
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cringe when I stumble onto old photos before the front plastics.. cowls were absolutely needed! Now just to find a decent tach setup and I'll she'll have all the OG factory options

When your stands don't fit the bike, but you're dying to test fit the new tar;

Fought the front tire for a damn minute. These pilot sporty's are some of the stiffest tires I've ever attempted to install with just me and my 2 tire spoons. An hour or so wrestling the old tire off and the new tire on. Slapped it on to test fit and I put the damn thing on backwards!! I do that every time Sad Also attempted to use the trashbag trick to get the tire on.. MISTAKE! Haha.. The bead was so tight on these tires that I was unable to slide the bag out once tire was on.

Decided I'd had enough on this tire install. Pulled the rear and dropped them with my local shop. Will get the front's direction corrected, trash bag removed, and new rear tire/tube swapped on.

NomNomNom

Really need to find(or build) stands that fit this mini monster. For now she'll just nap on my shop futon

Tires mounted and look fantastic!! Michelin pilot sporty tire - 90/80 front and 110/80 rear

I'll have to massage the chain guard a bit to clear, but other than that everything has plenty of breathing room. Can't wait to feel the ride, hoping the different size still feels as quick and nibble as the stock size. Just need to be buttoned up and scrubbed in.

Decided to leave the existing brake shoes on. Looks to have been swapped in the past and they still have plenty of life. Will be holding onto my ebc set of shoes as backups. Hopefully button the wheels up on lunch and get to brap back into work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Honda All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: