Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Tiddler didn't want to come home last night!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Tiddler didn't want to come home last night! Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

well my AR125 decided se didn't want to come home yesterday!

She'd run perfectly well that morning but just refused to even threaten to start on the way home. I tried pushing her a few times but no joy.

So it was a long route home by public transport and I'll worry about getting her back over the weekend.

Still, at her age I honestly expected her to have such problems earlier, so it's not a real surprise.

Reggie

Last edited by The Cameraman on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh noooooooooooooooooo

Hope it's a simple prob and nothing serious

Presume you had a spark and all etc oh and not run out of fuel..heehee

Hope you get her back home soon
TS
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

Well here's an update, this morning I found that the front puncture on my XT225 was as a result of a bit of corrosion on the inside of the wheel rim.

Needless to say that this was quickly removed with a wire brush, a new inner tube was fitted and the bike back to health.

My mate Doc rang me in the morning to see what my plans were and drove up from Cannock Chase, picked me up and we headed to my workplace, armed with tools etc. I removed the spark plug and found it was clogged with oil, so swapped it over and the Tiddler started second kick.

All was OK as I gently rode towards the M6 and just as I started to join the on ramp on the motorway, the temperature gauge rose too high. I stopped and checked things out, to find a small water leak under the bike and decided I'd try to slowly ride home, with Doc covering my rear with his BMW X5.

All was OK and I was just about ready to leave the M65 when a Police traffic car pulled me up, due to me doing about 40MPH. When I explained the problem to the officer he understood and said he wanted to stop the bike as his first machine was a Kawasaki AR50, and he reckoned it was the best bike he'd ever owned!

So we had a bit of banter and a laugh and we headed off over Abbey Village, Belmont and back home. I rode all the way with my clutch hand ready to pull the lever in at any moment but she managed to get me home. I reckon it's a leaking cylinder head gasket, so I'll strip her down and see what we find. At least she's at home now and my XT225 can return to be my usual commuting bike.

Reggie

Last edited by The Cameraman on Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you and the AR got back safe and sound Reggie

Agree sounds like head gasket rubbers ... They are usually very reliable as long as seated properly and torqued down. Fingers crossed she's sorted out soon Smile

BTW... I wish the fuzz would pull up the cars that drive at 40 on the M1..
He must have been a top guy though if he had a AR50... Haha
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

well this morning I dropped the coolant and was glad to find some still in there but look at the colour! No I didn't drink the Bell's to give me an empty glass vessel!

I removed the brand new spark plug and found as follows.

So it's a miracle she got me home.

Then I removed the radiator and was most pleased with it's general condition, so I flushed out the remaining clagg with boiling water, until it ran free.

Then I removed the head to find this.

So it looks like the coolant has been passing the O'rings.

And here's what the top of the barrel and piston look like.

So what do you guys reckon is the best way to clean the head, and the top of the barrel, before I replace the O'rings?

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

well here's a bit of an update after some more tinkering!

Here's the head, with the thermostat housing. It was easier to remove it after the head had been taken off, so that a better purchase could be made on the bolts.

Housing removed.

Thermostat in place.

Thermostat removed.

Then after a bit of scrubbing, and use of a fine Wet n Dry, lubricated with WD-40 and here's the thermostat mounting. A bit cleaner eh!

And here's the base of the head, after the same process. I reckon I deserve a bacon butty now!

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

I spent the last hour with plenty of WD-40 and an old tooth brush, scrubbing the top surface of the barrel and piston, which came up a treat.

Here's the barrel and piston.

And here's a view of the barrel showing minor scuffing but nothing undue and confirms the indicated mileage of under 10,000miles.

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

well I've got a spare (after market) gasket kit that came with the bike and wonder if others have used these or do you use OEM only?

If you do use OEM then does anyone have a supplier of;

11060-1164 - thermostat gasket
11060-1165 - barrel base gasket
39062-1008 - bottom radiator hose
11060-1170 - water pump gasket

None of these appear to be available according to the Cradley Kawasaki's web side

Also is it right that the radiator hose clips (92037-1589) are £8.10each and there's four of the blighters?

Just thinking that whilst I'm tinkering with things that it would make sense to replace the hoses etc, with 'em being either old, or not original spec.

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Reggie, if I was there I would have bought you that well deserved bacon cob Smile

Before you fit the head, remove the number 4 alloy bolt next to thermostat housing as this is the bleed for the head when you fill her with coolant. Its a delicate bolt that snaps off in the head if your unlucky sooooooo removing now while you have good access is worthwhile and then please don't over tighten when you refit Smile

After market gasket sets are usually ok. Sometimes the rubber rings are not the best fit (slightly larger /smaller but a little smear of Threebond (or similar) usually seats them in the groove whilst you refit.

Set of hoses for sale new on eBay now in UK ... But if yours are not swollen or perished I would reuse them. As for clips.. If you want to save a few penny's stainless jubilee's work well.

Thumbs Up
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

ta for the bacon butty comment.

I removed the 4th bolt first and just popped it back in, just to remind me that it's different from the other three! It came out easily enough but I did have the head in a vice, and used a quality socket, so I did good!

I'm very good at just nipping things up and have managed never to snap off a bolt that I've previously fitted myself (famous last words eh).

I'll grab some three bond out of my toolbox, it's bloody good stuff.

I'll order the hoses straight away and I'll use stainless jubilee clips at £8+ each is robbery.

Ta for your pointers.

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

both hoses, and water pump gasket ordered.

Is there anyone that does a copy of the thermostat gasket, as it had perished or would you just use plain gasket sheets and mark it out?

Reggie
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

just found a base gasket (not that I need one at the moment) under a slightly different part number, so that's a result for sure.

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cameraman wrote:
Hi Shaun,

both hoses, and water pump gasket ordered.

Is there anyone that does a copy of the thermostat gasket, as it had perished or would you just use plain gasket sheets and mark it out?

If you haven't got one but you do have some gasket paper.. Its a simple one to make so I would do that. Again I would fit with a very light smear of Threebond just to make sure, but it probably wouldn't need it.

If your not in a rush I can send you one..?
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

I've managed to find one ta, so it's on it's way.

Thanks for your kind offer though, please keep it in case you need it yourself or one of our other members needs help.

Reggie
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs Reggie, glad your getting sorted out Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: