Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Ice storm whilst riding home yesterday!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Ice storm whilst riding home yesterday! Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

it's about bloody time that Winter let go of the weather controls and allowed the Spring to get a hold of things!

Yesterday I was riding home and in the distance there were some most ominous cloud formations. As my ride home headed for the Moorlands, the weather quickly changed for a gloriously clear day, to an ice storm!

Me and my trusty XT225 got through OK and my Garmin Virb XE camera soon became well n truly iced over.

Just as I was nearing home, I saw a mate of mine who pissed himself laughing when he saw my beard and when I got home, I found I looked like an Arctic explorer!

Have a laugh at this!

Now I know what a Spaniel feels like when playing in the snow!

Reggie

Last edited by The Cameraman on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha.. Sorry Reggie, I hope you don't mind but I thought it was well funny so shown it the kids.... They now think Santa rides a motorcycle and wears hi viz to be safe Smile
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun,

I totally agree!

Last week I stopped at a crossing, as usual wearing my open faced helmet and one of the kids pointed at me and shouted to his mates ' Look Gandalf's a biker'!

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't beat that but,

Did my first ever track day yesterday evening, at Cadwell in the pouring rain & less than warm weather.

Took my Kr1, had the good sense to remove the top fairing, my half decent rear fairings & my uncut rear mudguard.

Firstly I failed noise, coming in at 107db Shocked
Then I had to get on my mobile & contact DVLA because my photo card was out of date Embarassed

Only just made it to the safety talk thing. Went back to my bike, whipped the baffles out & re-wrapped them, went back to the holding area, where they passed Very Happy

Went out for the three sighting laps, absolutely soaking wet by this point, my glasses had steamed up. Came back to the holding area feeling good.

Went back on track did two free laps & lost the front at the chicane Embarassed

Bugger.

Picked meself up & bike, moved her over to the bales & awaited the truck of shame. Nice lad took me back to where we were pitched up & I went back to the clubhouse for a coffee & a cig. Got my band put back on & went back to my bike to check her out for the next session.

Checked bike,

No oil leaks
No petrol leaks
No rear brake lever (please look out for this next time you're at Cadwell cos I know someone who can weld it back on Laughing )
RHS swarbrick & hanger - few scuffs
RHS clip on/brake lever/grip - few scuffs
Crank case clutch cover - lots of scuffs
After market front fairing - lots of scuffs

Fine I thought, don't need a rear brake in the rain, lets fire her up & get back out for the next session.....................

Bugger, only firing on the LHS cylinder Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Haven't had a chance to see what the problem is yet, hopefully just the impact has knocked something loose.

Moral of this story, don't take your favourite bike on track in the p***ing rain for your first ever track day.
Mind you, can't wait for the next one Dance I will definitely be taking my Aprilia RS125 though, I can get wet tyres for that Twisted Evil
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howie,

at least you're OK mate.

Reggie
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little stiff fella Laughing

At 46yrs old I don't bounce back so well anymore

Mind you, silver lining & all that apart from scratching my trusty HJC & scuffing my new alpine gloves, my new 1 piece leathers are intact Dance

Apparently someone on an R6 in the intermediate group was leaking fuel all the way round but I'm not blaming that, I just got a bit cocky too soon Embarassed

And Dunlop alpha's ARE NOT wet weather tyres Laughing

Lesson learned Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: