Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RG 250 1983 CRACKED ENGINE HOUSING

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lollie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: RG 250 1983 CRACKED ENGINE HOUSING Reply with quote

Hi again everyone in RG land...
Well Bad news, my bike went bang crunch grind etc, and at one stage the back wheel locked up, so I limped it home to find that the engine housing immediately around the gearbox output shaft to the front sprocket has broken away form say, 12 O'clock to nearly 3 O'clock which has naturally caused a good deal of play to the drive shaft. Also, the gears are no longer selecting.
Is this a scenario that occurs from time to time on this model or just an unfortunate one off occurrence? I was wondering if there is a need to strengthen this area around the bearing by welding it if it were a common fault.
It is somewhat of a big job to fix I know, but I am very fortunate that I have another almost complete engine (not working unfortunately) with a good engine block case so I shall have to pull it apart and swap things around.
Before I put the other one in though I thought that if it were a common fault I would ask regarding preventing this from happening again by somehow strengthening things down around the bearing before I put it all back together. Any ideas or experience on this would be really appreciated.
Thanks again in advance,
Graham.
wizbit

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mk3 came with damage to the casing in this area and I believe was caused by the chain coming off. I've heard of other cases where the chain has come off and taken chunks of casing with it. In my case it took out the rear/top outer cover fixing which causes the clutch actuating rod to push the cover away from the bike rather than push where it's supposed to...on the clutch.
Luckily mine came with black Mk2 cases and I've completely transferred the internals into it after spraying it up grey.
Your problem sounds different though and is difficult to assess without a photo. Maybe a bearing shattered?
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found any evidence online that this is a common weak point in the cases. I will have a look at my MK1 to see how that area is holding up. Luckily you have a spare bottom end to mix match, not easy finding spares here in the US.. Are you thinking of reinforcing that area just for extra safety?

Best of luck on the rebuild!
wizbit

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't thought about reinforcing it, whether a piece of steel protecting the case would help I'm not sure but I may just take a look at that to see if it can be protected from chain break back lash. Your issue does sound a bit different though. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the damage you have.
Lollie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the feedback. If I can I will see if I can get a photo or two up. The drive shaft is able to be pushed forwards and backwards in the bearing now though, so the bearing I say must be shot. Perhaps the thought that the bearing shattered is the problem. I wouldn't expect movement otherwise, even with the housing cracked away.
When I purchased the machine, the previous owner told me the reason he had the spare engine was that he had to replace the alloy engine and chain cover on the engine because he broke a chain and it flew around and cracked this casing. (15 years before when this happened he found a complete - in pieces - engine for the same price as the new casting so he bought the lot). Perhaps there was a hairline crack there already from this incident.
Anyway, at some stage when I have the time over the next month or two I will pull the thing apart and probably get it welded up to keep the same engine number for originality rather than replace it with the good one - I am a bit like that. Thanks for the feedback, will keep you informed as I go.
wizbit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why RG250's have a propensity to snap chains given the lowish HP? I've heard of it happening on the RG500 too. Must be poor adjustment or nasty cheap chains combined with the ritual abuse these old bikes got back in the day? The existing chain on my bike had the clip link on back to front....that just about says it all Doh !
I will certainly be looking for a quality chain for my rebuild.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: