Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Kawasaki AR125 Performance Engine Modifications
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Kawasaki AR125 Performance Engine Modifications Reply with quote

Hi
Has anybody had any experience in getting more power out of a 12bhp Kawasaki AR125.
I have been told that a big bore kit was available a number of years ago but can't find any more information, I believe his was from Colchester Kawasaki but may have been from a tunner and re sold to Colchester Kawasaki, I have been in contact with them but they have no information to hand.

I have a unrestricted exhaust and will update the carb to 26mm from the 24mm along with the rotary reed modification that I have seen on this and other sites.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated
Regards
Sean
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sean, welcome to the forum

Another AR125 fan, that's all we need Laughing Laughing Laughing

Only joking, wouldn't want to offend anyone on the Diff'rent AR's forum Twisted Evil

Never owned an Ar125 (must get one to see what the fuss is all about & before all the wheels are sold off) but I have owned bikes with big bore barrels before.

Never again. I would look more towards converting the AR to the derestricted model (A models???) Then go from there.

If I owned an AR then I would make Top shaggy/the cameraman/fazey my best friends.

Hope this helps
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: AR125 Big Bore Reply with quote

Hi Howie
Thanks for the reply and words of wisdom
I had a AR when I was 18 and regularly got taunted by The RDLC boys because of lack of top end power.

This time I want to re address this issue and put the boot on the other foot

As I don't do hardly any miles on the bikes the reliability up to yet has not been a problem ?

I have a AR80 with 98cc BDK stage 3 tune plus VForce reed block and a hole load of other stuff to make it move, let's say it can hold its own and I thought I would do the same with the 125, but no info on big bore kits and the normal it's not worth the effort.

What bikes have you got
Regards
Sean
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sean,

Fair play to you for wanting more top end power, I was trying to do the same to a Kc100 a while back. I failed & sold the Kc to buy parts for my Ns125, which I am also going to try to eke out a bit more oomph.

However, if I remember rightly the Ns125 has the advantage of sharing its engine with the Mtx125/200, so I'm on the hunt for the 200 top end.

I have a few bikes, mainly strokers, the main one being my Kawasaki Kr1, which has most of the good bits from the Kr1s on it. I also have a Kr1s as an ongoing, ongoing ongoing project.

Good luck with the AR, be nice to see what solutions you come up with Thumbs Up
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Sean

Been away for a few days..
Yes have tuned AR125s

You can not get a big bore off the shelf nowadays..

Starting with B model 12bhp cdi model with flywheel pick up.

A Disk valve
Good Exhaust
Keep airbox
Vm26 Carb should give you 18/19hp

Then taking to A model spec
Head and barrel almost impossible to find, particularly the barrel. I have a few nos but very reluctant to part with them as I keep them for my own bikes..

Raise exhaust port from 29 to 27mm to top of barrel.
Skim head to reduce volume by 2ml (from 15.5 to 13.5ml)
Skim to A model indicator casting between chamber and engine mounting. Do not change transfers

A Spec as all above 21/22bhp maybe slightly more if exhaust is good. Very drivable and still reliable.

Next suggestions come with health warnings..like all 2Ts

Flow barrel and casings to rris and carb inlet. Cut squish 0.8 with 8mm wide band. Exhaust to 26mm. Gives 26-28hp. Pod filter higher top end power but loses mid range.

Use of 28mm flat slide carb and resonance bottle off rris casing 28-30hp

12-13000rpm. Crank definitely ok up to 12000 under load. (Not had one fail)

Ditto exhaust to 25mm. Reduce transfers by 0.5mm. Use 1-2mm oversize piston. Advance disk timing. Around 30hp +. Very peaky. Can be tedious on the road.

Other suggestions:
Lots of possibilities depending on cash, time, skill (of which I'm limited in all)

Oversize piston and different rod to increase bore / stroke slightly
Eg KR150 piston and Yam rod with thicker Base gaskets. Ditto using KH400 oversize pistons. Seen this done a number of times successfully. Not tried it myself. Gives more mid range potential taking full advantage of rris reeds not top end revs

Possible resleeve (liners are available but never tried this).

Add exhaust valve into top of pipe.. again seen but not tried.

Use ignitech to improve ignition curve.. not seen or tried on AR125 but on my to try list.

Other thoughts??

I know a guy building a top tuned AR125 engine and he's even had a titanium crank made. May not be standard AR barrel once it's finished. It's all very secret this one..

Gearing - finally a really boring suggestion but it's such a cheap and easy way to get the best out of the engine.. one of my AR'S is geared absolutely spot on and pulls really well in all gears. I would be happy lining ut up on the road against many a RD..A to B I think they may just get a shock Smile

Easily available sprockets
Fronts 13 to 17T
Rears 32 to 38T

Keeping airbox sounds boring but it also keeps mid range drive and is easier to set up and more reliable. Airbox mods I can show.

I have lots of pictures I can share for another time. Photobuclet is a pain.

That should be a reasonsble starter for ten anyway Smile
Best
Shaun

How about some pics of your lovely AR'S. . I want to see your alloy swingarm Smile
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun
That is mega info
Do you offer a barrel mod service, if so let me know how much
Really fancy as close to 30bhp as possible.

I am with you on the air box, never seen a bike run correct after removing, if you can send pictures that would be great, as a side note how do you attach a picture as some pictures can be seen and others are via a link.

If you have any NOS parts you want to sell let me know what you have, my mates own ZPower so have raided all they have.

I have emailed a few people about the new liner but nobody has got back to me let, other option will be off to SEP at Derby and see if they can help

Bought a new nos shock from Martyn's in Mansfield but when I got it, it was way different, was going to get one off eBay from China, have you another source.

I have a Nikon with Arrow Can, Micron, Allspeed was going to go with the Nikon to start, the valve sounds interesting, have you got pictures and what does it actually do.

I would think the crank would handel 30 bhp no problem, so not really doing to that expense, we have looked at programmable ignition on the 80 and one of my mates bikes has the BDK kit on I think.

I am going to get carbon reeds, seen sheets of carbon on the net so will get this sorted at work.

Let me know what size shirts you wear and I will print some AR / KR1s ones for you, I sell textile printing and cutting machines, same goes if you need modified gaskets, really handy

I wonder who blabed about the swing arm. Phill ?
Still working progress on this, but will have to get back to it along with the open Clutch window.

The 80 also has gear change indicator and full LED conversion including clock and indicators and rear light, all look as Kawasaki items up till you light them up, that was a nightmare to get correct, it also has Mega bright 3000 lumin head light

Regards
Sean
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sean

Lots of questions will come back to you on.. need to get off the mobile

Generally don't do work for others but help out when I get time.. that said you seem to be very local to me.. I'm near Alfreton - maybe a meet and catch up may be easier sometime Smile

Mechamex did your swing arm..Yes? No it wasn't Phil who told me I've put 2x2 together from people I know

See post link for details of posting pics

http://diffrentstrokers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1587

See updated thread on shock alternatives Smile EDIT
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you set me off so here goes... Spec of AR big bore kit on a budget

Standard barrel can be used

59mm diameter bore
KR150 Wiseco x-lite piston
Head 15cc
9mm squish band
Standard AR con rod
28/30mm pwk carb
15/34 or 14/33 gearing and it will fly
Good power and drivability. Have video of bike running this kit...I just need to find it Smile
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaun
Looks like I have a expensive shopping list
I guess the piston is the first port of call and then take it to SEP
Please find my email address for the video when you find it
sean@gs-uk.com
Let me know what size tee shirts you want and I will Kawasaki them
Regards
Sean
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: AR125 pictures Reply with quote

Hi Shaun
Finally got a few picture of the AR125 so far
Let me know what you think and if the link worked

Regards
Sean

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qdrx7sefr9afyte/AABdRMPmWxFTGJXzCk7-pQeIa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yajcie86lm5js10/Photo%2011-09-2016%2C%203%2014%2008%20pm.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xf88uu3z7bjlhx/Photo%2011-09-2016%2C%203%2014%2021%20pm.jpg?dl=0
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AR125 pictures Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
Hi Shaun
Finally got a few picture of the AR125 so far
Let me know what you think and if the link worked

Regards
Sean

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qdrx7sefr9afyte/AABdRMPmWxFTGJXzCk7-pQeIa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yajcie86lm5js10/Photo%2011-09-2016%2C%203%2014%2008%20pm.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xf88uu3z7bjlhx/Photo%2011-09-2016%2C%203%2014%2021%20pm.jpg?dl=0

Hope you don't mind, I've put them into my Photobucket so I can post the image files.

Looks very very nice in fast Green Smile

Who covered the seat? They made a good job to replicate the 'period' heat pressed look

Is it the angle of the camera or is that front fairing altered to sit lower over the clocks?

Using standard indicators or going for something Diff'rent ?

Looking forward to seeing this one rebuilt, great stuff mate Smile
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic.

Top stuff Sean Thumbs Up
vestanpance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very clean! Cool
Sean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Glad you all like what I have done so far
Please see my other little monster

https://www.dropbox.com/s/su79s1tjpj33poj/File%2007-10-2016%2C%209%2035%2043%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

Regards
Sean
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
Hi
Glad you all like what I have done so far
Please see my other little monster

https://www.dropbox.com/s/su79s1tjpj33poj/File%2007-10-2016%2C%209%2035%2043%20pm.jpeg?dl=0

Regards
Sean

Here you go.. May be worth setting up your own thread for your gorgeous little KHI AR monsters. Liking the rarer colours of your early C model, very nice.

I've also got some front fork braces, have you just fitted one and not put down the dust covers? Got a few genuine Kawasaki rear huggers too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: