Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Finally on road but need help with oil light and suspension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevebrown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Finally on road but need help with oil light and suspension Reply with quote

Hi all

Finally got my rg250 finnished and took her for a run last night. Engine was running great and had a big smile on my face after 2 years of hard work getting the bike to a fair condition. Absolutely laughed my head off as accelerated into the power band lol.

2 probs though. The oil light flickered when in 2nd 3rd gear at high revs?? Is there a pressure sensor somewhere? I know the oil pump is working as I checked by running on premix and checking the output of oil but I didn't notice any sensors. Only a plug on the oil tank which I assumed was an oil low light?

Also when I returned home in the dark the rear of the bike was noticeably lower. After a while the rear popped up so I pushed it down only to find it stayed down. I only messed a bit in the dark so wondered if it's the actual shock or could it be linkages?

Thanks for all the great help so far. Will put some pics up soon. Cheers all
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The oil light flickered when in 2nd 3rd gear at high revs??

My Kr1 does that, unfortunately I don't know why, so can't help you there, sorry. But my bike hasn't seized on me yet, if that's any consolation?

However the rear squatting could be either the shock or the linkages & possibly even the swingarm bearings (etc).

I would have it all apart just for peace of mind.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally on road but need help with oil light and suspens Reply with quote

nevebrown wrote:
The oil light flickered when in 2nd 3rd gear at high revs?? Is there a pressure sensor somewhere? I know the oil pump is working as I checked by running on premix and checking the output of oil but I didn't notice any sensors. Only a plug on the oil tank which I assumed was an oil low light?

I would have thought it would just have a low-oil-level sensor and light. In which case, maybe it's a poor electrical connection - or even the sensor itself - that is shaking loose at high revs ?
nevebrown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Well I have to loosen the tank to take apart the linkages shock etc so I'll check the oil light connection. Wondering if I'm gonna look silly and find the oil level a bit low and accelerating hard is making it come on. Shame though about shock as really loved riding it. Hopefully find out what it is this weekend.

Cheers
gammaguy21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about earlier models but the rocker linkage on the mk3 is a bit wierd. Instead of the dogbones meeting in the center, they are slightly offset... kinda like a 'merry-go-round'. If it was at the top when you stopped, pushing on it may have put the linkage to the bottom of it's stroke, dropping the rear of the bike.

Bitacticus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have dogbones on the MK3

not listed in the partsbook or in the manual.

never seen it before.

please correct me if i am wrong

Regards Erik
gammaguy21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitacticus wrote:
i dont have dogbones on the MK3

not listed in the partsbook or in the manual.

never seen it before.

please correct me if i am wrong

Regards Erik

Sorry, you're right Eric. No dogbones on the rg250 mk3. On my phone and was the easiest way to describe the welded arms that are part of the swingarm.

The pic was to show the wierd linkage on the mk3... the dogbones that you can see are from an rgv swingarm.

I had a similar drop issue when I swapped swingarms.
nevebrown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So took the shock out and rusty on the main travel part, all linkages moving good, so need a new shock Crying or Very sad trouble is all ones on ebay I have messaged say they cant guarantee working order Crying or Very sad and cheapest one £60.

is it worth trying to recondition my one??? is there anywhere I can get it reconditioned?

Also just to add insult to injury, I also noticed my front seals are weeping oil, they were ok but think I blew them by adding air. ARGHHHHH just want to ride it lol. anyone have info of putting in progressive spring kit?

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks
wizbit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox Racing told me they could rebuild a Mk3 rear shock for £150 and a full like new aesthetic refurb for £300. I'm not convinced the Mk3 shock is rebuildable. Whilst I'm not rolling in money I have just "bitten the bullet" and gone for a replacement which is currently being built to order by Mike Capon at the The Shock Factory. A new rear shock is going to set you back £300 at least and the reviews of the Shock factory's M-Shock are very good. They are £350 all in (tools and delivery), fully rebuildable and with a quick turn around. Personally I think they look really nice too and I prefer the look of them to the Hagon alternative.

Reading your post again I realise you are looking for a cheap fix but with these old bikes sometimes it's just not possible. I think of mine as my 'mini-ferrari' that way all the parts seem cheap Rolling Eyes
nevebrown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will consider a replacement but hoping to keep standard.

I managed to get a second hand mk3 shock but stupidly tried to put a bit of air in it while off the bike to see if the air line held as it was worn. It held air but when I let the air out the oil blasted out of the shock. Obviously as it was laying down the oil was level with the air outlet and oil blasted out the air hose . Put the shock on and it works although I have to put over 40psi in to keep it firm as I'm quite heavy and manual says shouldn't put over 15psi in?? is there a way of getting some fresh oil in there to top it up??? I think I may have let too much oil out.

Thanks
wizbit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno Eh? I put 15 psi in mine and it all leaked out overnight.... that was enough to tell me it's probably had it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: