Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RG250 fork cartridge head scratching (may be same as X7)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizbit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: RG250 fork cartridge head scratching (may be same as X7) Reply with quote

I have one fork apart but during the separation I couldn't tell what the arrangement of parts should be at the end of the cartridge. Looking at the manual it appears to show the tapered, silver tube fitting like this:

But I think it goes the other way round because 3 washers sit perfectly inside the wide end which then protects them from the cartridge spring. I can also see a perfectly fitting wear notch where the cartridge spring would butt onto it.

Anyone have any ideas, as there aren't too many RG owners maybe X7 owners may have something similar in their machines?
Straycat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, ill check you picture when im back home (cant see images when im at work, its blocked) and see if I can recall. my picures from my resto thread may give you a clue, i think there is a picture there of all the fork parts laid out exactly as they came out of the forks.
1989 Yamaha RZ350 ypvs
1989 Yamaha FZR400
1987 Suzuki RG250 Gamma
1986 Honda NS400R
1988 RGV250 VJ21A-J
1986 Honda TLR200 Reflex
1985 Honda VF1000R (x2)
1985 Yamaha RZ500
wizbit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Thanks Wink
wizbit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the photo on your ww resto thread but yours doesn't appear to have this part.....unless its still in the bottom of your stanchion?
James P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That arrangement looks fairly normal for bikes of the era...except perhaps for the three washers. Although I haven't got an RG250, I do have parts catalogues for all models...it looks like the washers weren't fitted to the final 1987 version.

Doesn't the tapered collar fit inside the similarly-tapered bottom of the fork stanchion (although they should only fit together in use when the forks are fully compressed)? The damper rod (what you call the cartridge) with spring should fit into the fork stanchion from the top. Therefore, because the tapered collar and damper rod (with spring) are fitted from opposite sides, the spring shouldn't touch the tapered collar.

It seems to me that the orientation of parts as shown in your photo is correct. Could the wear notch have occurred through previous incorrect assembly? Alternatively, could the wear notch be caused by the machined surface in the bottom of the fork slider (since the tapered collar is clamped between the damper rod and the bottom of the fork slider when the bottom bolt is fastened)?

If none of the above makes any sense Laughing , could you dismantle the other fork assembly to check the arrangement of parts?

Regards,
James
Straycat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wizbit wrote:
I found the photo on your ww resto thread but yours doesn't appear to have this part.....unless its still in the bottom of your stanchion?

Yes, mine was inside the stanchion.

youhave it correct

see here:
http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-rg250-1987-h-e01-e04-e21_model14000/partslist/FIG38.html#results
1989 Yamaha RZ350 ypvs
1989 Yamaha FZR400
1987 Suzuki RG250 Gamma
1986 Honda NS400R
1988 RGV250 VJ21A-J
1986 Honda TLR200 Reflex
1985 Honda VF1000R (x2)
1985 Yamaha RZ500
wizbit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess the silver tapered part with the washers fitted above it never comes in contact with the spring once fitted. If it touched the washers it would cause problems by catching on it.

The other fork unit won't come apart using an air gun to shock it or using the old broomstick trick. I have got some parts together and a freind is going to weld them into a removal tool. Basically it's a 22mm A/F bolt head (from a M14 bolt) welded onto a threaded bar with locknuts and a T bar welded across the top for good measure to simulate the official tool.
James P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wizbit wrote:
I have got some parts together and a freind is going to weld them into a removal tool. Basically it's a 22mm A/F bolt head (from a M14 bolt) welded onto a threaded bar with locknuts and a T bar welded across the top for good measure to simulate the official tool.

Yes, I have had some damper rod holders made up in similar fashion. However, I had the nut or bolt welded to an old socket, which can then be used on the end of a socket extension bar. You can therefore use a ratchet handle or T-handle as desired. I found that this gives a special tool which takes up a lot less space and uses standard/common tools to make it work. It is especially suitable if you have several different kinds of fork assembly to dismantle. Still, the version which you are making should work fine Thumbs Up .

Regards,
James
wizbit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James, that is a good idea. I might try that if all else fails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: