Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RD350 Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: RD350 Project Reply with quote

Picked up this fine little survivor last night. Mid 70's Yamaha RD350. Bought from a fella that received it as partial payment on some landscape work. Previous owner was an old(mid 70's) gent that fixed this moto up for his son. Wasn't able to gift it to him before needing to make good on his landscape payment. The landscaper I bought it from just wanted to clear the payment amount so I got it for a steal! Going to be doing some research on the RD's. Always love having a new platform to learn, but normally I don't like deviating from my Suzukis. This time though - This yamaha has my eye!!

No paper for this one, but it's in great shape with a couple extras! Condition when I eyed it in person was much better than the seller's photos led on. He said the previous owner just had the engine rebuilt by someone in CA. I have a few numbers on the service/parts books that came with it. Going to try and milk any info out of the previous owner. Bike has ~7,500 miles on the clock. Tank paint need attention, but tank interior is great with little to no surface rust. Original everything is what I was told. Seat looks a little fresh for being an OG though. Plan is to keep this one honest. Clean it up and fix any smalls. Then ride it for a while and enjoy my first RD.

Brought it home and the Suzuki's were skeptical!

Had to nab a photo before unloading. Out of focus bumper sticker reads, "My other car is 10 motorcycles that don't run." Never has it been more true haha

Hoping to find the engine builder and chat with him. From a quick glance, top end seems to have been rebuilt. Bottom end is super clean and belly of cases are nearly spotless so I'm leaning towards this one actually having been fully rebuilt. Guy I bought it from said it ran when he received it, but hasn't been run in a few months. Battery was flat so I just gave her the initial inspection and put it inside to wait for warmer weather.

Was listed for sale as a '77 RD350. VIN sticker was pretty worn and tough to read much info off it. I'll be digging in and getting as much knowledge of this RD and the RD lines/models. Looking forward to reading up and learning about what got you yama-heads hooked!
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, I'm looking forward to seeing how upset the Suzuki clan become when you rebuild it Wink
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is nice.

Great find & I like the fact you're not going to fully restore it Thumbs Up
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the old Torque Induction. Lovely. I'd replace the missing tank badge and do nothing else, except ride it.

Great photos too. Very Happy
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:
Ah, the old Torque Induction. Lovely. I'd replace the missing tank badge and do nothing else, except ride it.

Great photos too. Very Happy

I totally agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: