Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Photobucket
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Forum Support & Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vestanpance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Photobucket Reply with quote

A rumour I've heard.

It seems Photobucket are trying to charge £ for image hosting on forums, photos disappearing, mine are ok so far.

Could be a lot of useful info being deleted. Sad
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pictures seem to have disappeared.... certainly older ones. Looked for the piston pictures for the different model ARs earlier....

Will check out photobucket later...grrrrrrrr
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right... Think I've found the problem and Photobucket are being complete and utter tossers.....

I've only used 36% of my allowance but they have stopped all linking to external websites unless you buy the 100 plan which is $99 per year...

Bastards Evil or Very Mad

I nearly went though the payment system because I really don't want pictures and the like to be lost here

I wonder if there is any other way forward? It looks like this is it and if they haven't got you yet..its only a matter of time.. Options anyone please??

LOVELY DS ADMIN PERSON - I would rather pay you than photo'ripoffbastard'bucket.... Any other options from the site?? I for one would be happy to subscribe to DS if its possible to host pictures here. I appreciate its a big ask.... Please

Crying or Very sad
Howie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOVELY DS ADMIN PERSON - I would rather pay you than photo'ripoffbastard'bucket.... Any other options from the site?? I for one would be happy to subscribe to DS if its possible to host pictures here. I appreciate its a big ask.... Please

I second that, bloody photobucket......grrrrr
The Cameraman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

I'll third it!

Reggie
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we'll stop recomending Photobucket then. Bang Head

This site runs on the bare minimum of domain/webspace/BB package, with very little maintenance and support by Admin. Which is just me, with a full time job that involves sitting front of 3 of these bloody screens all day. I have zero interest in spending any extra time looking after this or any of my other badly-neglected webpages to be honest. So don't expect any solutions on here I'm afraid. Sorry. Crying or Very sad

I'm very sympathetic though. It's going to impact all sites like us, through the fault of no-one and with no quick fix. It's a hot topic on many other forums I use. There are many other photo hosting sites ( Imgur / Flickr / ImageShack / TinyPic / SmugMug / Shutterfly etc. ) but I have no experience of them and who knows if they'll go the same way. I can only suggest not panicing, waiting a bit and seeing what the verdict is from the internet as a whole. A solution will emerge I'm sure.

Oh, and it's up to you of course but personally I'd abandon my account rather than pay the new fee. Fuck 'em. Up Yours
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on the Photobucket Facebook page if you want a good laugh. It's not just forums like this one that's affected, it's also hit Amazon, Ebay and other stuff no-one saw coming. It's being described as a masterclass in how to kill a business. Laughing

Some people are deleting all their photos and closing their accounts. I don't recommend that, not yet anyway. It's possible that they'll backpedal and reinstate the 3rd party linking in exchange for a reasonable fee. No-one wants to have to edit all of their links to make their pictures visible again, we certainly wouldn't expect you to on here.

By the way, if my previous post seemed a little harsh, sorry. My day job is basically an endless depressing stream of "someone did this, now you have to fix it" orders and I don't need those outside of work too. Very Happy
emzedder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying some Microsoft hard ball tactics, pay through the nose or lose it .... risky strategy for PhotoBucket they aren't that good ... might see them disappear completely if they don't drop charges as they won't attract advertising revenue. Greedy gits.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to have lost all the photos from my posts. I've always liked the fact that this forum has been big on photo's and I do believe that a picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't want to pay $99 to reinstate my pictures, and I don't want to have to edit ten years worth of posts on here.

I'm with Strokerboy on this, let's wait and see if Photobucket come up with a more appropriate fee for our type of user. We're not a business, we're not making money out of them, we're just a bunch of people with a shared interest.

I haven't considered what I would think a fair price to pay, but the danger is that once you start paying you're sort of on the hook...

Ah well, that's life guys.

Sad
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see Photobucket lasting long now unless it reverses the changes. They have annoyed many people on many forums. They will find out that we will not be held to ransom. Evil or Very Mad
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a lot of anger on other forums, with some members saying that it's down to Admin to magically fix everything somehow, and Admin saying that it's down to each member to ensure that their photo links remain valid.

We can see both sides of that argument, and our position is entirely neutral.

We're not going to trawl through every single post on here, identify the image link, find and grab a copy of the photo, upload it to our meagre webspace and correct the link, one by one. Nor are we going to rework the forum software to capture new images and host them ourselves. But nor are we going to insist (as some are) that you all have to fix your own posts yourselves or leave. We're all victims here, and though this place is now a bit less useful and entertaining than it was before, we can get through this.
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've not tried this, we don't even particularly understand it, but I spotted it on another forum and it seems to have fixed the Photobucket issue for some people. It may not be appropriate for you, it may not work, and if it does work there's no guarantee how long it'll last before they stamp on it.

If you try it, don't blame us if your laptop catches fire. But do tell us how you got on, especially if it works for you.

Chrome Extension For Photobucket Fix
steezin_and_wheezin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome's hotlink fix works perfect for me. Great for those old build threads with links jacked up by photofucket's money hungry bastards
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potential equivalent Firefox fix HERE.
James P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSBBadmin wrote:
We've not tried this, we don't even particularly understand it, but I spotted it on another forum and it seems to have fixed the Photobucket issue for some people. It may not be appropriate for you, it may not work, and if it does work there's no guarantee how long it'll last before they stamp on it.

If you try it, don't blame us if your laptop catches fire. But do tell us how you got on, especially if it works for you.

Chrome Extension For Photobucket Fix

Tim,

Coincidentally, a friend of mine sent me a link to that "extension" before I found your post. Now I can see the photos again! Let us hope it is a long-term fix.

Regards,
James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Forum Support & Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: