Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Photobucket Users
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Forum Support & Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Photobucket Users Reply with quote

We're united in our hatred of the greedy bastards at Photobucket for their recent attempt to fuck up the internet for everyone. There appears to be no easy resolution to it.

So, if you have/had pictures hosted on Photobucket, linked to on here and now they've gone, let us try and persuade you to adopt another provider. We can't recommend one specifically 'cos we've not tried any ourselves, but there are many alternatives such as Imgur / Flickr / Google Photos / Instagram / ImageShack / TinyPic / Imgbox / SmugMug / Shutterfly etc. etc. Check them out and decide which one suits you best, and feel free to share your findings on here.

Then, go take a new photo that sums up your love for all things DS, upload it to your new provider, and reply to this post with an embedded IMG link to it and a few words about it. We'll rustle up some sort of prize* for the one we like best, as encouragement. No deadline, no rules, but if it makes us laugh or jealous then you're on the right track.

So far, Howie's winning, with this pic he uploaded to Imgur earlier today (it's an old one, but it counts because it gave us the idea) :

GO ! Thumbs Up

* (prize may be limited to an old spark plug or other worthless token, the organisers accept no responsibility for disappointment etc.)
Haggler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my attempt at Image Shack

DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers
vestanpance

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded with Imgur, not exactly sure how I've done it!

Last edited by vestanpance on Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So far, Howie's winning

Yay Dance But not for long I should imagine, ho ho ho.

But its great to see some pics on the site again. Well done people.

Lets keep them coming Thumbs Up
Haggler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image shack is another pay app, first month free
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my official entry, taken while tidying the shed.

I've gone for the abstract angle....

Not really sure if it sums up what I love about 2 strokes because it is just a small pile of old pistons after all.
Haggler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which app did you use Howie?
Howie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Imgur. It's free (at the moment) & I think it's easier to use & quicker than bloody photobucket.
vestanpance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by vestanpance on Thu May 24, 2018 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
si.likes.guiness
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
I'm using Imgur. It's free (at the moment) & I think it's easier to use & quicker than bloody photobucket.

I know this is an old post Howie, but (since you seem to have Imgur sussed) could you explain how it is done?

I joined Imgur, uploaded a couple of photos and then tried to use one of them in a DS post. I selected the image, copied the "BBCode" and pasted it in the post I intended to create on DS. When selecting "Preview", all I could see was the BBCode I had pasted, which appeared in white text - no image!
If I copied and pasted the "Linked BBCode" instead, it produced a 'hot link' in red text which the viewer could select to make the image appear in a new window. However, there did not seem to be any way to embed the image in the DS post.
Imgur Help wasn't much help, as it just told me to do what (I thought) I was already doing. Any idea what I'm doing wrong...?

I'd be glad to receive advice from anyone who knows what's going on!

Thanks & regards,
James
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James. I've never used Imgur, but I've looked into various users' "can't display my photo" problems over the years and usually work out a solution in the end. Very Happy

I found a random image on Imgur just now, as shown on THIS PAGE. I right-clicked the image and selected 'Copy Image Location'. I then pasted that into a new browser window and the image appeared OK. Once you get to that point (whichever hosting site you're using) it should just be case of embedding that same URL within [IMG] tags on your post :

Howie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(since you seem to have Imgur sussed)

Laughing

Wouldn't go that far James, I'll take another pic of one of my bikes later this week & then I will try to post it........

Just to remind myself how it's done Embarassed
James P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSBBadmin wrote:
Hi James. I've never used Imgur, but I've looked into various users' "can't display my photo" problems over the years and usually work out a solution in the end. Very Happy

I found a random image on Imgur just now, as shown on THIS PAGE. I right-clicked the image and selected 'Copy Image Location'. I then pasted that into a new browser window and the image appeared OK. Once you get to that point (whichever hosting site you're using) it should just be case of embedding that same URL within [IMG] tags on your post :

Thanks for the suggestion Tim. I've made some progress, but not the kind I was hoping for! It seems I can embed any photo from (theoretically) anywhere on the internet:

...but not ones that I uploaded myself:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/CSTSjpx.jpg?3[/img]

I've tried copying the location of my image several times in subtly different ways, but I get the same result every time. My own image obviously does exist because I can copy and paste its address (https://i.imgur.com/CSTSjpx.jpg?3) and it appears - I just can't seem to embed it.
I've come to the conclusion that I didn't upload it properly to Imgur in the first place, but I'm not sure what I've done wrong Sad . If you or Howie (or anyone else) has any tips, I'm all ears...err, eyes Laughing .

Regards,
James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Forum Support & Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: