Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Zero Posters
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Forum Support & Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Zero Posters Reply with quote

Why have I got an email telling me I've been added to the 'Zero Posters' usergroup ? Confused

Well, you've registered on here but you've not yet posted anything. In an attempt to encourage more people to contribute, we contacted everyone with 0 posts asking them to say hello, post some details of their bikes and just generally join in. Creating the usergroup is just the easiest way to email everyone in one go, it doesn't mean you're in trouble ! Laughing Although eventually, all zero-posters will be deleted... Crybaby

Once you've made your first post, we'll remove you from the group. Wink
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

157 users on here now, all who've taken the time and trouble to register.

Of those, 64 have never posted a single message. Why ? Did they register just so they can access the protected For Sale / Wanted areas ? Confused

They're not spammers by the way, I went through and wiped those out ages ago. Rolling Eyes

They all get added to the 'zero-posters' usergroup, which does nothing except send them an email pointing that fact out. Do you think that pisses 'em off so they never come back ? Bang Head
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now 91 zero-posters out of 211 registered members. Rolling Eyes

Surely having gone to the trouble of registering, you must have something to say ?

"Hello, I'm Charlie, I've also got a V-twin TZR in a million bits" - that sort of thing...
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say that would hardly be news. Interesting comment might be something like... "I've got three V-Twin TZRs in three million bits..." Wink
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero-posters consistently hovers around 50%. 237 out of 470 as of this morning. Confused
cavemangidyoop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here goes my first post. firstly i must say how pleased i am to make it on here ,having visited the site often and followed peoples threads ,and of course bought one of your ace t shirts at your show stand , spoke to a very nice lady and admired the bikes on show .i was hoping to at the least get a bike somewhere close but having seen those bikes, well i might get a reasonably well polished pile of bits by spring. only the finest make it onto your stand ,i really must try harder will be in contact again cheers
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cavemangidyoop wrote:
only the finest make it onto your stand

and when no-one is looking I sneak one of my scruffy, unwashed, crashed bikes onto the stand Very Happy
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom's being unnecessarily modest about his bike, but he does make a valid point : unlike many other clubs, we're more than happy to display a well-used example of something interesting as well as a concours minter.

Crash damage, flaky paint, rust and even ten years worth of oil and filth have all been proudly displayed at one show or another. We even had a bike once with no engine fitted at all (no one noticed Laughing ). My own bikes look nice from a few feet away but are all pretty scruffy close up.

Anyway, welcome on board, thanks for buying a shirt, and we look forward to having your bike there at a future show.
cavemangidyoop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes he is i follow the threads and admire the photos, thanks for the reply by the way guys maybe there is hope for me yet .i own a 3xv and a3ma that spent 20 years under a hedge in japan what ever i was thinking when i bought it i dont know but it might just make it one day cheers
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A forum milestone today : 300 people have now taken the time to register on here but have seemingly got absolutely nothing to say. That's from a total of 592 members. Rolling Eyes

You can read almost everything on here without registering so we can only assume that they're doing that so they can access the restricted For Sale / Wanted area.

All new members get added to the 'Zero Posters' usergroup, just so we can email them in one go if necessary. Or even delete them in one go...
Darin
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSBBadmin wrote:
A forum milestone today : 300 people have now taken the time to register on here but have seemingly got absolutely nothing to say. That's from a total of 592 members. Rolling Eyes

You can read almost everything on here without registering so we can only assume that they're doing that so they can access the restricted For Sale / Wanted area.

All new members get added to the 'Zero Posters' usergroup, just so we can email them in one go if necessary. Or even delete them in one go...

Maybe we should adopt the way some other forums work, where a newbie needs to write a quick intro post to say hello and tell everyone about the bike(s) they have - or want to find! - before being able to see the rest of the forum??
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with newbies having to give a little info about their own bikes or what bikes they are interested in etc

Some sites ask questions to see if you are an enthusiast (I appreciate it's easy to cheat this - google etc). So rather than the up front test - the suggestion that they at very least make one basic post showing interest / knowledge / relevant experience of Strokers seems very reasonable to me.

Not necessary in favor of a user fee (although I would be happy paying a minimal access charge - say as an up front one off membership fee? Perhaps with free T Shirt by way of a balance or inventive?)

I'm the first to admit I'm not a big poster, but I visit fairly regularly and really appreciate the site. The only thing I couldn't get to work was the photo links to upload pictures which put me off trying to do this again. Otherwise excellent site guys. Thanks 
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from the Index banners that a cull of zero posters is underway. Newbies who don't post within a week of joining, and existing members being picked off at random. Seems fair enough to me, it's not a lot to ask to just say Hi and what you're interested in.
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

59 accounts deleted off here this afternoon. Didn't send any emails or warnings out, just zapped 'em.

None of them had posted anything whatsoever, and there was nothing in their profiles to indicate that they belonged on here. One was a duplicate of a valid account and 5 were just plain dodgy. All had registered in the last 12 months.

That's the thin end of the wedge. Gonna start working through the rest of the members list now... Wave
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero posters face Grim Reaper Tim !
Shocked Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Forum Support & Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: