Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Eastern European's Infiltrate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Other Strokers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Eastern European's Infiltrate Reply with quote

Someone just had to do it and I could'nt resist the temptation.

In addition to Jap two stroke technology I have a soft spot for the MZ 250 having owned and worked on them for many years - long before MZ race series. I also own a 250 LC that has been on the track straight from the showroom in 1981 - ridden by my 20 yr old son and I at track days.

No excuses here - beneath the surface MZ's are ripe for modification - I hope to publish some pics of my special and race bike in the coming days. After all, it has a modified pipe and reed valve unit from a 250 LC and 70's TZ seat unit which somehow makes it acceptable surely!

Fantasic site by the way.

StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your radiator's fallen off ! Laughing

Welcome to the site. You seem to have exactly the right attitude for this place. Cool I look forward to seeing more pictures and details. And congratulations on having the first non-Japanese bike on here.

(I wonder if I can get away with posting some pictures of my Mum's Honda Express ? Shocked Wink )
emzedder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered featuring my Honda Vision with full moped mayhem race history and "patina" (ie damage) but had to draw the line somewhere.

Only kiddin'

I was hoping someone would dig out something unusual like an Aspez sport or similar - a guy in Norwich used to own one, nicely enginering but quite a rarity.

One thing - my MZ DOES get used in the manner intended ie run hard in most types of weather spring-autumn . How much of the jap's here get used. I'm of the view they were built to be enjoyed and should be used - not the same as neglected of course.

I rarely see these machines anywhere other than shows, I appreciate the financial damage in maint, fuel (and two-stroke oil!) can bite but by modern sportsbike costs and depreciation rates still well affordable.

Emzedder
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emzedder wrote:
One thing - my MZ DOES get used in the manner intended ie run hard in most types of weather spring-autumn . How much of the jap's here get used. I'm of the view they were built to be enjoyed and should be used - not the same as neglected of course.

I rarely see these machines anywhere other than shows, I appreciate the financial damage in maint, fuel (and two-stroke oil!) can bite but by modern sportsbike costs and depreciation rates still well affordable.

You rarely see my TZR 'cos it only runs properly flat out - that red/white blur that went past you was me ! Laughing

All my bikes are taxed/insured/Mot'd but I can't pretend they're daily transport or anything. I make sure they all come out occasionally but I suppose they do fall into the 'sunny day toy' category. Embarassed I agree you shouldn't just park 'em up - it's bad for them and such a waste... Rolling Eyes
Darin
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:
I agree you shouldn't just park 'em up - it's bad for them and such a waste... Rolling Eyes

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Stroker Boy,
I promise I'll try harder in 2007 . . . if I can start one of them! Rolling Eyes
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's the eve of a new year and all good resaon to fire up them there strokers up and annoy the neighbours with oodles of blue smoke while "clearing the throat". Fortunately my neighbours have gotten used to it over the last 30 years so prob there.

The MZ is undergoing routine maintenance and a few improvement mod's including a newly designed and fabricated expansion pipe and carb intake.

LC pics definitely will follow!
john-b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow how cool is that just dont tell anyone i said that Embarassed Laughing
emzedder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Restoration Reply with quote

I don't quite understand the obsession with restos of any bike (any age or make). What a shame to lose that "patina" and accumulated battle scars that can never be reproduced. Interesting how the veedub scene has evolved (was an aircooled van owner till last year) where barn-stored, rusted vehicles are making as much if not more interest on the road/shows than resto's. They get used regularly too.

Preserve and keep mechanically useable but in my view restoration [to sometimes better than factory std finish] just removes life history with consequent cost recovery implications for other buyers.

Dunno whether I stand alone on this.

By the way I am an imposter 'cos I have two highish mileage and mildly blemished FZ 750 1FN's, not mint but are full of character and not at all embarassed at track days even 20 yrs on. Will upload pics by request, may be banned now!
bluemistjunkie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome emzedder. I've took this cracking bit of MZ history from the British MZ Racing Club (BMZRC) and thought some of you may find it interesting, especially you emzedder.....

MZ racing history:
The name Motorradwerk Zschopau first appeared in Grand Prix racing back in 1957. At various times from then until 1976, MZ works racers competed in World Championships for 125, 250 and 350cc classes. They secured 13 Grand Prix victories and 105 rostrum finishes in what surely were "David vs. Goliath" battles, given the Cold War and the harsh economic realities of life in East Germany.

The inspiration behind MZ's success was Walter Kaaden, a true engineering genius. He perfected the rotary valve and conventional two-stroke and expansion chamber technology. In 1961 his MZ125 was the first engine in history to exceed 200 horsepower per litre. An MZ125 was also the first two stroke ever to win a 125cc Grand Prix. Even the legendary Mike Hailwood won a Grand Prix on a MZ250 in 1963. The defection of Ernst Degner to Suzuki (and so to the West) in 1961 gave the Japanese motorcycle industry the technical knowledge they required to build a racer equal to Walter Kaaden's MZ - the forerunners of today's top racing bikes.

Alan Sheppard, a former president of the club, was a member of the original MZ racing team between 1961 and 1964, the year when he came third in the World 250 Championship and won the first round to be held in Daytona, USA. After German reunification the factory was re-launched as MuZ. Subsequently production was relocated to Turkey where the faithful strokers are still produced in large numbers.

emzedder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that article.
MZ success and engineering excellence over the years doesn't receive the credit it is due.
Success in the ISDT was also significant. I knew a guy that campaigned an ES 250 during proddy club racing when it was in its infancy competeing against RD's, KH's and the like (by the way does anyone remember Tom Bemberton who campaigned a 500 triple with outstanding success in the early 70's). It wasn't a winner but competed week after week at respectable speeds and placings. Not a popular choice but loads of development opportunity.
Try one while they are still affordable and they do not attract collector status prices - grass roots biking at its best, you won't be disappointed (particularly when you stay a modern bike on cornering at a track day, tends to cause some annoyance)
bluemistjunkie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MZ racing it class.
To me it's the two wheeled version of 2CV racing. Not very fast compered to other classes, but always close and competetive.

Heres another interesting MZ page I've stumbled across...
MZ History Page

And if I could get hold of one of these........

MZ RZ 250/2
emzedder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics from the MZ build for those who may be interested in home builds. The barrel was shortened top and bottom with re-ported and introducion of boost ports using corresponding holes machined into the piston skirt. Uses a Suzuki 2 ring piston as per std race series practice.

Fitted a PVL self generating ignition system favoured by Kart racers and MZ series. Very good and the taper fitted the std crankshaft perfectly! Home made mountings etc.

Fitted with an LC reed block using fibre competition petals. This is a push starter only!

I think these engines are very well designed. Crank lightening and case stuffing likely in future, possible disc valve in place of reed.

A change of scenery - LC's, my sons road bike and my race bike which became ny sons on his 21st. Team point for the person that spots the deliberate "error" on one of these bikes. Doing this conversion guarantees someone will talk to you when parked up. Guaranteed to break the ice at parties!

Here he is at Cadwell. This is a special bike, split heads for absolute squish settings, TZ O ring sealing conversion, auxilary exhaust ports, one off hydraulically formed expansions. Built and raced by a friend, can't take the credit for the build unfortunately! Very quick but peaky, interesting ride over Cadwell. This bike has been on the track all of its life - never road reg'd.

nzKRnut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good idea, the bar clamps on the top triple.. must be useful in the wet? Cool
emzedder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Update 2 years later Reply with quote

I have developed the MZ further over the last 24 months, now fitted with a basic total loss lighting set using a small gel battery. Expansion chamber has been fabricated to suit, also a few mods to the carb. Tried a flat slide last winter but with poor results, just couldn't control intake at low/medium revs but revved like a chainsaw at the top end. Ah well, I tried!
Bike will be on the road again soon.
Pics to follow.
emzedder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Latest pic Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Other Strokers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: