Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RG500 grand prix racer built from road bike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: RG500 grand prix racer built from road bike Reply with quote

I recently unearthed some photos I took in 1991 or 1992 at Eastern Creek, possibly at the Australian Grand Prix, but more likely at a state or national race meeting there:

This is a Suzuki RG500 road bike modified as a grand prix racer. I spotted it while walking around and later noticed it in different stages of dismantling.

It was ridden by Scott Mitchell from the Wollongong area and (at that time) I had already seen a report in a local motorcycle magazine that he had only just failed to qualify for a previous Australian Grand Prix riding the same bike.

The frame and swing-arm appeared to be standard, but with heavy braces welded in. I think the swing-arm had also been widened to suit the wider rear wheel. From memory, the Australian Design Rules compliance plate was still attached to the steering head on the frame. The wheels, brakes, suspension and bodywork had all been changed. Externally, the engine casings appeared to be standard. The cylinders looked as if they came from a racing RG500. Keihin carbs were fitted, although I don’t know anything about the pipes. The ignition looks like Krober, but I’m not sure.
I later learned that the gearbox had been converted to GSXR750 by Chris Dowd of Dapto, who may have also carried out some of the other modifications.

A year or two after these photos were taken, I saw the bike advertised for sale in the Trading Post (a local 'for sale and wanted' newspaper) for $10,000. It would have made an interesting road bike, but I didn’t have that sort of money!

I understand that Scott Mitchell went on to race a Yamaha OW-01. I never saw or heard of the RG500 again after seeing it advertised for sale.

Regards,
James
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics and history.
Its hopefully hiding in someone's collection
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: