Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Rg250 WW on Ebay, and where are the mark 4's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
walter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Rg250 WW on Ebay, and where are the mark 4's? Reply with quote

Have you seen the Walter Wolf on Ebay from DK?
Doesn't look like 974km to me, and where has it been stored? Looks like its been in a leaky container on a ship thats seen one too many storms. The chain and front sprocket look hideous. Anyway, enough of these mark 3's, what I want to know is where are all the mark 4's (FCH)? Apart from mine I've only seen one other, and that was also on Ebay. I searched through the Yahoo Japan auction site, no sign of any mark 4's. One day I might need a spare wheel, or discs, or forks. I'm sure those parts must have been used on other Suzuki's of the late 80's, I need to find out which ones. I think I read somewhere that quite a few parts are the same ones used on the GSXR400, but did that ever have a 16 in front wheel?
Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deck cargo perhaps? Laughing Maybe the PO had never heard of chain lube either.

Last Year of GK71B's were H model year and have similar looking wheels to a "Mk4" but a 17 inch front. The next generation GK73A's where 17 inch front/18inch rear so not much use either.

Not many mk4's around...seem to remember someone here breaking a rolling chassis a while back.
walter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Found one Reply with quote

Mine looks like this

But with a full fairing. All my attempts to get information on the mark 4 have come to a dead end. I think I'll just have to write to Suzuki in Japan and hope that the letter reaches an RG250 nut.
walter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: The mystery deepens Reply with quote

I emailed Suzuki Canada to ask if they had any info on the RG250FCH (mark 4). The first reply was a denial that the RG250 was ever imported to Canada. I replied quoting a Suzuki Canada RG250 brochure and also told them I had a wiring diagram marked 'Canada only'. Under this intense pressure they admitted that the FCH had been imported in 1987, but they had no manuals or diagrams. They also claimed that no Walter Wolf models were imported, strange as he was/is (?) Canadian. If that is true, then I must have a Japanese market FCH with 'Canada only' wiring. I can see myself flying to Japan to track down the RG250FCH project leader........I have to know.
Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW is certainly alive and well and still a controversial figure!
(Canadian's still seem proud of his brief F1 dabble, I well remember seeing a pretty WR1 in a Toronto "shop" window - actually the "Hall of fame" museum/display in the middle of a shopping street)

Have you seen Jarmo Haapamäki's Suzuki site? Its brief info on Canadian market models for 87 seems dubious to me! (the C in CH definitely not meaning Canada!)

I'm not sure the model designation FCH refers to the Mk4...have you seen the parts book on the CMSNL web site? The preface refers to the FCH but seems to suggest that its just a "mk3" varient for quite a long list of markets.

As you say, quite frustrating that there's so little info on RG's generally and these "last of the line" in particular!
walter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have seen Jarmo's site and I am equally sceptical about C for Canada. It's interesting what you say about whether FCH and mark 4 are actually the same thing. I've seen the parts list on CMS (and they've got quite a lot of my money) which implies that the FCH is almost the same as the FG/FH. I suppose I've assumed that FCH and mark4 mean the same thing, all I really know is that mine is an FCH according to the frame number, and a mark 4 as it has 3 spoke wheels and fatter forks.
Somewhere in Japan there is an old retired Suzuki engineer just waiting to tell his story.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter wrote:
Somewhere in Japan there is an old retired Suzuki engineer just waiting to tell his story.

The Japanese have an obsession with secrecy when it comes to stuff like this, they're very loyal and even information that's 20+ years old and of no possible interest to competitors is still strictly guarded. Confused

What you need is to contact the Japanese RG250 Owners Club or something similar. Poke around the net looking for Gamma fan pages in Japanese and fire off a few emails. You never know where it might lead you... Wink
walter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been browsing some japanese sites, found aftermarket rear sets for the RG250, and wait for it, 110/80-16 front tyres. An Avon AM63 viper stryke, and a Michelin gold standard.
Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of gorgeous aftermarket Gamma bits if you go looking in Japan...there's a particularly pretty fork brace for the mk1 : beautifully engineered but looks to have the ridgity of spaghetti! [I still want it though!]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: