Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Eastern European's Infiltrate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Other Strokers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you a'int highly excited by this footage you a'int looking at the right forum .... what strokers are all about ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8aAGiE0arw
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic - it's made me look outside and it's a dry day ... Sooooooo the o'l smokers coming out to play Laughing
emzedder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Some obscure footage Reply with quote

Here is some rather unusual MZ-der stuff, all 2-stroke of course ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_A34ZDff94&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1w4QvLkIVk&feature=related
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Curiosities Reply with quote

Interesting how tastes are influenced from an early age here is a picture taken of my father in early 70's on an Itom 50 competition machine. Stayed with me for all this time, of course the neighbours were well accustomed to non-helmeted test sessions in those days ... this pic is unusual because there is no customary fag hanging from mouth ... I owned one of these, this was an Astor 3 speed foot change, the other was a standard road hand change setup similar to scooter. Made fizzies look positively modern and I was considered a freak (understandably, says a lot really) but resorted to same and Fantic GT 6-speeder until 17 yrs.

YDS7 was the progression ...

Anyone got any older Italian stroker stuff in the shed?
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if this link works..

Great nostalgic photo - I had an uncle who used to look exactly the same on his BSA bikes (with the customary fag!)
emzedder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh, new MOT booked and managed to shear the clutch off the clutch taper this morning ... managed to knacker the soft--metal tapered clutch hub but new replacement in post thanks to a very nice gentelemen at Spares and Repairs that dealt with my request real quick.

Well, better now than at Cadwell ... that's positive thinking ....

emzedder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, received a new replacement clutch component but spent last 3 days trying to work out why the clutch keeps locking (not an good idea on a stroker!) ... after much messing around found unit was machined out of tolerance. Fortunately have a son that is a machinist who can trun this to required spec this week ... all a bit of a panic ...

Doh

emzedder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Petrol hazards Reply with quote

Well, I walked into the graden early Saturday and smelt petrol ... so visited the shed to find the MZ has dropped half a tank of precious 30:1 full synth mix on the floor. After closer inspection found the base of the tank was the issue so removed and drained. Found that the fibreglass / gelcoat was simply separating and glass was like powder.
This is despite coaing with Wassell tank sealant which is normaly superb although it loses its red dye resulting in purple-coloured petrol for months.

Ethanol has a lot to answer for, the tank is scrap and I suspect the accelerated deterioration is due to the aforementioned component that the EU supplierd are increasing .

So back to the "banana" steel tank as an emergency until I find something better ....
emzedder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't uploaded a pic recently ... latest incarnation

emzedder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ... the VMCC Historic Racing section are considering a further rule change to encourage MZ's to compete in a BEARS formula series. I'm considering that the MZ will have a complete rebuild and engine makeover to be compliant with eligibility rules and I intend running in 2014. I hope to keep the bike street legal.
emzedder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy by the name of Frans Van Leur runs this DKW stroker engine outfit, the engine is from a very early Wartburg car ....

emzedder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MZ managed to destroy its expansion mounting hanger again so after standing in the shed with a mug of tea decided action was necessary. While I was at it decided to take the top end off for first time in 7 years and a check over.
Amazingly after years of road abuse and many track days she looked like new, no bore wear or other issues (two little bare metal areas on piston crown where boost ports vent - sweet!) ... amazing stuff that full synth oil.

Reassembled her but noticed something I've never had before, the generator side crank sea areal showed signs of oil with a little pool oil (?) in the case ... she has always run fine with good starting etc. I though sucking air was a bigger issue with wear but anyone eperienced this before?
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the MZ. Any thing different from the norm is what i like.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emzedder wrote:

Reassembled her but noticed something I've never had before, the generator side crank sea areal showed signs of oil with a little pool oil (?) in the case ... she has always run fine with good starting etc. I though sucking air was a bigger issue with wear but anyone eperienced this before?

I've had that before, check that its not running weak and if ok.. I wouldn't worry. If it takes 7 years for a little oil to collect in the generator cover, it's hardly a major problem.

I'm presuming its gearbox oil and not 2stroke?

If on the other hand your really concerned then replace the crank seal.

I sometimes think that nowadays we all try to keep our bikes in pristine working order with the best oil etc, when years ago I for one treated them like cr@p and they still ran for ever.
emzedder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts entirely, they don't suddenly let go and she runs okay ... just that in all my stroker years I have had clutch side seals go (lots of smoke and losing gearbox oil) but not ignition side.

Got a 70's CZ motocross alloy fuel tank on the way ... for a bit of a makeover.

She'll think its her birthday!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Other Strokers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: