Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

KMX125 is it worth it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: KMX125 is it worth it? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of restoring/blinging/pimping (whats the modern word for improving nowadays, god I'm so old!) my winter use KMX125.

Now firstly, is it worth the bother seeings as it will still be used as a winter use bike?

It is an de-restricted B model (1987?) Which I have just found out needs the barrel re-plating & a decent quality piston kit.

So what do you think?

Howie
Darin
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Howie,

For me it's just a personal choice thing - if you want to rebuild it for any reason, you should just get on n' do it, enjoy the strip and rebuild and riding it after (I can talk!!!! ) If it's a case of "will it be financially worthwhile and worth more after"... well maybe one day! Whatever though, it's always good to see old bikes you never see, and I can't remember the last time I saw one of those! Good luck with it... if you decide to restore, bling or pimp! Laughing
Howie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement Blue smoker.

I think for this year at least (yes I know we're in December), It will be just the essentials. Got my Kr1 to sort out for spring time Very Happy

Perhaps the KMX will be a summertime project?

Howie
BenR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it! I'd SM it, shouldn't be too difficult. Take some pictures as you go though. Very Happy
Howie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BenR,

Ok, what do you mean by SM? Hang about, supermoto? (thought you were talking about some kind of sexual fetish thing) Embarassed Put road based tyres on it? Upgrade the brakes to cope with braking on our wonderful British roads? Are you mad sir? Laughing Its a Kmx 125! (in fact i'm going to add another)!

But I live in the East Riding of Yorkshire, the farmers leave more muck on the roads than they do on their fields Laughing

Its more like off roading on road here this time of year, bless the farmers, they do a wonderful job.

Like the idea BenR but I do need something to cope with the back lanes (sounds like another sexual fetish) of East Yorkshire.

Mind you, you wouldn't happen to know if any of the USD forks off the KX/KDX range would fit my KMX?

Howie
BenR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see why not, use the KX yolks as well. Yeah I did mean super motard to be honest road based tyres would probably lend much better grip than knobblies just not off road. I had an MTX125 once (back in the day Embarassed ) & had a couple of offs on that (one of them particularly nasty) because the knobbly tyres couldn't cope with frosty weather & smooth roads, sports tyres have a much greater tread area than knobblies too so you get grip even when cranked over. What colour are you going to do it in?
Howie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BenR,

Well, at the mo it has a Kawasaki green tank, rad guard & RHS panel. A blue headlamp surround, red LHS panel & both front & rear guards are black.
Seat is blue & the frame has been sprayed a silver colour which is now starting to show the rust coming through.

And yes, it is as bad as it sounds Laughing
I'll post some pics soon. I was thinking of going for a copy of the classic mid 70's KX400 scheme, with the 'lightening strike' down the tank?

Kawasaki have given us some great schemes over the years. My other idea was to copy the paint scheme from the 1977 Ke175, with the swooping decals.
The only thing I am absolutely sure of is it will be mainly Kawasaki green.

To match the rest of my Kwaks Embarassed

Howie
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, as taken before the top end came off!
[img]
As you can see, its not pretty Laughing

Howie[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: