Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Projects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Projects Reply with quote

Not a lot of chat going on at the mo on the forum, so I hope you don't mind a newbie trying to spark up some conversation?

Right, what do you think I should do with this? Parts are not plentiful,
[img]

This is my 1980's Ke175, its a beaut don't you think? Laughing I have the engine (currently re-building it) but I have no loom, no clocks, no lights.... erm this is it really. Now my plan was to make a custom trail bike out of it, wouldn't mind a few ideas if you have any?

Howie[/img]
BenR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could find bits on ebay. Make your own loom? Idea I'd be tempted to strip it completely & do a full restoration. Thumbs Up
colp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i owned a lime green one of these, bought it new in 1983! kept it until i got my kr-1 in 1989 which i still own, it was a great bike, easy to ride and fun, it would be great if you can get it on the road again
colp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a piccie of my ke175 taken just after i bought it in 1983, thats my first car, a vauxhall chevette in the background, it had twenty speakers in it at one point!
Howie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what colp, that pic has actually inspired me to restore mine. Very Happy

The long arduous search for bits begins tonight Wink

The idea of making my own loom for the bike appeals, cheers BenR. I'm sure I have a manual for it somewhere.

Howie
colp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry the pic is a bit blurred , i had to take a picture of a polaroid with my digital camera, it looks like a blurred memory! if you check out e bay and maybe go to a few motorcycle autojumbles if they are near you it might be easier than you think to get a great bike back on the road, good luck
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right boys & girls, thank you for the inspiration, the rebuild begins[img]

Here we have my Ke175 as it was & here is a pic from the other side[/img]

On this next pic, pay close attention to the electrics, pro job I think Laughing [img]

Hmmmm, block connectors wonderful things eh? Right here is a pic of the plastics. Looks like the bike has been many different colours over the years, blue, white, yellow & soon to be green Very Happy [/img]

Ok & lastly the seat! Its a good job I know a very good welder[img]

What have I let myself in for? Oh well its all good fun Laughing Sorry one last pic [/img]

Who makes this b****y stuff? Does anyone honestly think this is an improvement to rust? No.

Anyway the rebuild is on its way. This bike will not be rebuilt to original spec, just simply because I have no idea what its original spec is suppose to be. I have a D model frame & tank/plastics etc with a B model swingarm. Upon investigation, the Ke 'D' had a few different specs, especially with the clocks! It appears the model did away with the rev counter at one point(why?). So until I find out any more info, I am just going to bore you all rigid with pics of replated parts & things painted nicely & welding to seat pans. Ooh I bet you can hardly wait Laughing

Howie
colp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again good luck with the project, i'm glad you have chosen lime green, i think the famous pagetts spray paint company sell the exact colour if you need it, i noticed you had the black tubular swing arm, mine was the later 'd' model with the aluminium box section swing arm. mine had a rev counter and i remember the clocks had unusual bluey-grey faces. i'd better take off the rose tinted glasses!
Howie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the look out for the box section swingarm. I found a new gear selector shaft on e-bay this week, mine had the lever welded on & the only way to remove it was to grind it off Rolling Eyes

It then became apparent why it was welded on, not one single spline on the shaft was intact, I blame the parents!

Anyway, heres a pic
[/img]

The foot pegs will be powder coated eventually but I thought a zinc plate first will help preserve them. I think I need to renew my plating tank as they are not exactly 'bright' nor are the bolts hanging up drying as we speak, oh well!

[img]

Here is the lump! About a year ago I bought the rotor & coils off ebay(!) They were listed as for the D model, coils fit but the flywheel doesn't, I love ebay Evil or Very Mad
The engine is being put back together to see if it all works. If it does then it will come apart again & be refreshed. I know it sounds an odd way of doing things but if you had seen the piston I took out of it, you would understand Laughing

Howie[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: