Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

SDR200 2TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

I've ordered a selection of jets, on their way now.

The front disc is about 265mm diameter, as best I can measure it without taking the wheel out. It's a one piece disc, drilled, of the type used on the TZR125 of the time. I've got a 282mm floating rotor disc from the later TZR125 on its way, I think I can just about clear the extra 8mm on the radius.

I'd have thought the 3MA and 3XV discs would be bigger, what sizes are yours?

Thanks for your help.
reverse cylinder jim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yeah your right ive just looked and my discs are from 286mm upwards so a bracket would have to be made.
The bike looks very nice from the pictures you have posted, love the colour.
James
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SDR made it all the way to Squires today, four-stroking for half the time, but we got there. The pretty SDR actually draws quie a bit of interest, not something that ever happened with the 3XV.

The jets have come, so I'll have to have a play and see if I can improve the part throttle response. I travelled out to Squires on the A64 dual carraige way, not fun at all, but I came back on the back roads, that's the way to do it!

The new front brake disc hasn't come yet. Shipped late by the seller blaming the Bank Holiday, and then delivery attempted yesterday while I was out. They've taken it back to a distant depot, and now don't answer the phone.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My floating rortor front disc came last week, but with a lot on it took me until the weekend to do anything with it.

It's slightly dished, rather than flat like the standard one. As the disc is thinner the offset doesn't matter and the disc runs near enough to the centre of the caliper not to matter.

The (expected) extra diameter is more of a problem though. It's not as bad as it looks in the pictures with the top bolt fitted. I'd need to lose al least 3mm off the radius of the disc for it to go together, which isn't practical.

I think the only way to make it work properly would be to buy a 267mm flat floating rotor disc, or to make up an adapter bracket to carry the caliper.

If I'm making a bracket, I have another option as well...

SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, have you sorted the fuelling out? have you seen the SDR200 forum, loads of specs and data for the bike, and carb in particular.
http://sites.google.com/site/sdr200yamaha/specs2
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting brake upgrade here:
http://www.yamaha-rd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2983
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bike was on eBay ten days ago. I saved the photo of the front end, and the caliper mounting bracket from the listing thinking that I might have to go that way.

Thanks for the link though.
martin77

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alurt.... it's good to see Honk's SDR go to a good home, as I'm the person responsible for the pipe and tuning work. In fact I've even taken the bike for a few laps around Cadwell last year Smile

Funnily enough the carburation wasn't quite right then either, running too rich on low throttle, which is probably what you're experiencing still. I would suggest trying a smaller pilot jet (and said the same thing to Honk). It's a matter of juggling needle height and pilot jet to get a clean response, whislt making sure the main jet is correct for wide open running....

I hope you get it sorted as it's a great little bike to ride.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the advice, good to hear from someone who knows about these things.

A friend had suggested that the "four-stroking" was more likely to be due to it running rich than lean. It's fine on anything above half throttle, so I see your reasoning on jet size. It's just unfortunate that normal road speeds are where it's at it's worst. I'll have a go and update on here.

The weather being as it is at the moment I'll have to limit myself to playing in the garage...
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided I'd better get my finger out and sort the front brake on the SDR. I'm still on with projects in the house, but a chap needs a bit of a diversion now and again.

I've all but given up trying to find a floating rotor disk that will pick up on the existing mounts and work with the Sumitomo 4-Pot calliper that's fitted to the bike. I haven't been able to find anything with a small enough diameter, so I've started to look at other options.

The first thought was a bracket to move the Sumitomo calliper out and up to work with the TZR125 disc I’ve got, but the bracket is pretty complex to move the calliper to where it’s needed.

Second option is to use the Brembo calliper, acquired on eBay some years ago for another project. You’ll see that this was considered a little way back in this thread. I’ve found that the Brembo will pick up on one of the existing mounts, and carry a disc of up to about 300mm. This gives me a better braking set up and a simpler calliper bracket.

I went to see Reverse Cylinder Jim and borrowed a selection of brake disks from him, 3XV, 3MA and anything else with a centre that matches the SDR. Now I’ve got the discs to try I can have a look at putting together a combination that works and then make up the calliper bracket to suite.

I’ll post some pictures when I get my spanners out.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SDR passed its MoT on Saturday, of course I had to fit the barn-door number plate, refit the standard front disc and caliper, and put the exhaust back on. I really must sort the fuelling out, it really doesn't ride well in traffic, and is worse still round town.

While I was putting it together I did a bit more with the other brake discs I still have on loan from James. I think I can make something work but it will need a bit of machineing to the fork leg.

The MoTs say I've done 160 miles since last time, then I realised the trip is still in Km, so actually it's only a 100 miles. That's more than the test center and back so it could be worse...

At the Test Centre there was a rather sad looking old Yamaha of a similar vintage to the SDR, which I believe is also a grey import.

The interesting thing about the SRX4 is the front end... It's got the similar clocks and clip-ons to the SDR, and a floating rotor front brake disc. I wonder if the fork legs are the same size as the SDR?

Last edited by arlurt on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:53 am; edited 3 times in total
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one. See you HERE on it then ? Wink
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done my miles for this year, another trip to Squires at Sherburn:

A nice ride out and good to see some interesting bikes, so now it must be time to take it apart again. I've been messing about with brake discs and calipers for a while now and making little progress. Decided when I got home that the best way was to get the fork leg and wheel out so I can see what's what on the bench.

So that's it in bits. Out of curiosity rather than obsession I thought I'd weigh the old solid disc and the "new" 298mm floating rotor...

So that's a decent weight saving and an improvement in braking. I've mentioned the weight of the bike, and my own weight, on here before. It's got to be easier for me to loose 250g than it is to take that amount off the bike, but the saving's there soI'l take it!

That's as things should go together. The 298mm disc runs in the center of the caliper. The top caliper bolt picks up on the standard mounting point, with the botomone nicely between the upper and lower standard pick points. I'll make a plate and spacer to join it all together, just need a nice piece of hard alloy plate out of the scrap bin at work.

I think James said the 298mm discs were from a 3MA, I need to confirm that before I try to get hold of one.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arlurt wrote:
I think James said the 298mm discs were from a 3MA, I need to confirm that before I try to get hold of one.

Think the 298mm discs are off the RWU 3MA-1. USD 3MA-3/4/5 plus 3XV and 3LN (FZR250R) had smaller ones, 280 mm ? But don't quote me on this. Confused
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to good old eBay I've got some H30 alloy strip and bar, and a selection of stainless fasteners. After a bit of messing about I've got my first attempt at a bracket and spacer for the Brembo caliper.

I don't have a milling machine, and I don't think the super-crisp CNC machined look would work with the SDR so it's drilling, filing and cutting by hand and then a quick rough polish with wet'n'dry to get something like. The bottom bolt is counter-sunk, and I need to go and see a mate to cut that.

It all seems to hang together OK, and doesn't look too in-your-face which was always a priority. If it works I'll do a better job of the polishing.

It's really hard trying to photograph shiny things, it looks much better in the dim light of my garage than laid bare in the brigh flash of the camera... Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: