Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

TZR250 =)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: TZR250 =) Reply with quote

I thought I'd start a new thread rather than continue the 'Hiya' one.

I've finally made a bit of a start on the TZR basket case I got a couple of months ago. It's a C-reg 1KT Japanese import and it looked to be in good condition, other than the tank was rusted through on the left side Sad The welding wizards at college could probably rescue it though, I hope.

So, I didn't really know what I wanted to do with it, other than the front and back ends were going to be replaced. I've been at the swingarm with a grinder to get the R6 shock reservoir to clear the bracing and I've measured up for spacers for the wheels. I need to swap the stems over on the front ends (I was going to use a TRX850 front end but got the YZF750 front end at a good price) and it's sitting a little low at the back (I need to make some shorter dogbones up) but the chassis is coming together ok Smile I don't know whether to use Yam three spoke wheels or use the Cagiva six spokers Confused

That's it for now.

Last edited by Kayla on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
si.likes.guiness
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

six spokes Very Happy
nick69
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep em coming Thumbs Up
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, looks a very interesting conversion, not seen one of these done before. now I don't know much about suspension, but are you doing away with the rising rate, as it looks as though you are getting straight compression on the shock when the swingarm moves? is that right or am I interpreting the pics the wrong way?? not a dig, just trying to work it in my head??
Keep the pics coming.
maccas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like that alot, is that a fzr400 rear swingarm? looks to fit nicelyi would go with the six spokes looks spot on
do you have any plans for the engine?
Kayla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP_BOTT wrote:
Hi, looks a very interesting conversion, not seen one of these done before. now I don't know much about suspension, but are you doing away with the rising rate, as it looks as though you are getting straight compression on the shock when the swingarm moves? is that right or am I interpreting the pics the wrong way?? not a dig, just trying to work it in my head??
Keep the pics coming.

To be honest, I used what I had to hand that fitted together ok Laughing I tried a FZR400 3TJ and TRX850 linkage but they didn't fit so settled on the 3MA linkage.

Maccas- Yes, it's an FZR400 3EN1 swingarm. It would work really well if the R6 shock reservoir wasn't there but I'll have to cut too much of the bracing away to make it worth bothering with. It's cheaper to buy a plain, unbraced early FZR400 arm than a new shock Laughing The bike came with the early type cast linkage which is crap, basically, and I wanted it to look relatively right for the period so plumped for the 3EN1 arm. Meh. Then the YZF750 forks turned up at a good price so now I'm umming and ahhing over whether to use those or the TRX850 front end I've got. I reckon I'd need a TZR125R banana swingarm to go with the USD forks though Wink

I dunno Confused
maccas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you go for a 3ma arm then you won't have the problem with the r6 shock as the swingarm will be the other way up?

plus they look pretty awesome and won't look out of place with the upside down forks as the later 3ma's had upside down forks

i would advise getting some pipes just for weight saving alone

i saved 10kg on mine with just getting some pipes

Kayla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccas wrote:
do you have any plans for the engine?

Just a rebuild for now I think. I'm not planning on selling it, ever, ever, so maybe I'll have it ported in the future. I have no idea what pipes to use though, I certainly don't want to be putting standard ones back on it Shocked Laughing
Kayla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccas wrote:
why don't you go for a 3ma arm ...

Price and availability really. What pipes are those on your bike? They look hydroformed Confused

I really like the idea of keeping it quite '80s looking with RWU forks and a plain swingarm, but with decent tyres Cool
maccas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yer they are hydroformed, martin77 of the tzr forum made them, i'm not sure if he is still making them though, if you can get your hands on some they are a great pipe!
fredjee
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wanted to update a 1kt/2ma with diffrent front & rear ....... looking fantastic Very Happy
Kayla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress has been s...l...o...w... what with college and work and that. I've done a bit though Smile

I decided to go back to 'relatively' standard looking, but with beefier forks and a slightly fatter swingarm. I got an FZR400R SP (2TK) swingarm and cut it up so it'd fit in the TZR frame-

It's snug and I'll have to shave a smidge off the lower subframe mounting point but it's a good chunk lighter than the 3EN1 arm I was going to use and the welds look lovely Very Happy

I fitted the TRX front end we had lying around and I'll look for some Thundercat forks eventually, but I'm going with rwu forks.

The clip-ons I had for the usd forks are 50mm and the TRX forks are 41mm so I made a couple of sleeves to fit the clip-ons on the forks-

They fit- huzzah!

That's as far as I've got for now, it's too cold to be out there for any length of time Laughing
maccas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good, you did well to find a 2tk rear arm, there aren't many about now, i wish i still had mine Sad

Kayla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been over a month since I did anything on this Embarassed but I did a little bit today Smile

I've been umming and ahhing over which swingarm and wheels to use so have held off doing anything to fit the R6 shock until I decided. I have a TZR125R banana arm too but I'd have to buy a different shock to be able to use it and because we're skint I've decided to use the 2TK arm I already have.

The R6 shock needed to be lengthened so it sat at the right angle to clear the swingarm because I'm using later linkage parts (3MA) and a different swingarm so I made a little adapter up-

that makes the shock 325mm long and it fits through the swingarm ok now Smile

The rear end is a bit of a hotch potch of parts Laughing It sits 10mm higher than standard which is where I was aiming for and that's all I've done. The front end is pretty much sorted in as far as I know roughly which parts I'll be using. If I can find some Thundercat forks I'll use them instead but for now the TRX forks will do. The expensive stuff is up next (engine rebuild Sad ) I may be some time Laughing
mikee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any advance on this ?

i have a 3en1 arm i'm thinking of sticking in a tdr ,sorta re-kindled my interest

you up here in the frozen north mate ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: