Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Kawasaki KR1 Rebuild and tune up (lots of pics)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maccas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Kawasaki KR1 Rebuild and tune up (lots of pics) Reply with quote

Hi everyone, i have already posted this on the kr forum and its been on there for a while, but i thought i would tell the story on here so here goes:

hello all i am new to this forum but have been on the tzr250 and tdr250 forums for a while now as i have a 1990 2ma, anyway here are some pics of my 1989 kr1 with kr1s paintwork, kr1s wheels, kr1s spannies with nikkon silencers, proflex rear shock, i bought it as a none runner a few weeks back off ebay (some of you may recognise it), didnt take much getting going, the woodruff key had sheared and the pilot jets were blocked, sorted that out but low and behold a crank rebuild is in order as it was rather rumbly from the bottom end, i'll be happy knowing that all is well once it has been rebuilt though, anyway pics as i got it in september 09

i then started the inevitable stripdown:

ok so i maybe went a little too far

swinging arm before:

after polishing:

the engine is in bits and i have sent the crank away to get rebuilt, inscribed on the barrels and head is stadley stage III at least i think it is stadley, it mite be stanley not sure, but all the transfers have been raised aswell as the exhaust ports, the squish bands look to have been re-cut and the head appears to have been skimmed, it is fitted with a full set of carbon reeds, so i'm hoping it will go pretty well, it sounded well when it was running (apart from the rumble from the crank)

the plan is to finish polishing the frame and other bits, match the barrels into the cases and fill any voids up with epoxy, make a really good job of matching the powervalves and setting them up correctly, new pistons and rings full gasket set, crank rebuild then build it all up and use it as it was intended, hasnt been on the road since 1999 so i intend to change that, hope you enjoy the pics and i will update as and when i can

back end of september 09

decided to put bike back together loosely so that it takes up less room in my garage, also wanted to see how the polished frame looked with all the fairing in place, going to concentrate on getting the engine finished this week

crank returned from grampian today, all sorted, had to put a new centre shaft in from bdk engineering, bearings had done their usual trick of spinning on the centre shaft wearing it away, have been meticulously matching the barrels to the cases, waiting for my jb weld to arrive in the post and then i'll be filling up the voids in the cases, hopefully will have engine rebuilt by the weekend, well the bottom end anyway

december 09

since i've been snowed in over the past week i cracked on with filling up the crankcases while i'm at home from uni for xmas, nearly there now, just got a few more holes to fill and a couple of pin holes to go back over, looking forward to getting it all back together for the summer

next job is the square channels in the top of where the reed block plate meets the crankcase

thats what is inscribed on my barrels and head, would people say that thats stan stephens st III?

march 2010

had a week on the bike as i had some time off from uni, i purchased some steel powervalves a while back so thought i would modify them to f3 spec

kips passages before:

and after dremel treatment:

finished off filling the crankcases:

fitted my rebuilt crank: (thanks to grampian for top service)

got the engine pretty much built up minus a set of new pistons:

so once i've bought pistons they will get fitted

i managed to break on of my kips levers being a rough arse twat so i need to get another one sorted, but that can wait till summer, after having a good look at the way the kips valves operate i think i might try and change the way they work, as far as i can tell it would be better (especially with f3 type valves) if the valve at the resonant chamber side of the cylinder rotated in the opposite direction to the one at the other side of the cylinder, then each cylinder would have 'left' and 'right' handed valve and the kips ports would flow much better in my opinion, because at the moment the valve closest to the centre of the bike opens the wrong way, leaving a very similar situation to round slide carburettors where the port is straight then has the cylindrical hole to navigate then straight again, might cause more turbulence than necessary, just my perception on things anyway, i will have a fiddle in the summer.

i noticed my cylinder head doesnt have a thermostat fitted, will i be ok to run it like this or should i get one fitted?

finally got round to doing some more work on the bike, i bought a spare engine off ebay because it was cheap a few months back and it has some barrels that have been modified by bdk with welding across the back to strengthen them, the plating doesn't look too good though so i think i will get them replated for future use, the ports look to have been opened up a fair bit too so will be interesting to see what it goes like with those on in the future

anyway i have sussed how to change the way the powervalves work so that the left and right powervalve in each barrel turn in opposite directions, to try and improve flow into the exhaust port

august 2010

i know it won't make much difference but i figured every little helps, it is really simple to do, the cables need swapping from left to right and the two central powervalve pulleys need a locating hole drilling perpendicular to the original mounting hole, the linkages need to be length adjustable so that it can be finely tweaked but it seems to work ok

september 2010

finally got some more done on the bike, had the frame and a few other bits and bobs powdercoated, i will be taking the bike back to uni with me to work in while i am down in bristol, powdercoating was £85 for everything in pictures, powder and paint in east cottingwith, yorkshire would recommend them, very quick turnaround

got a bit of progress done on the bike

october 2010

just need a few bits to get a bit further:

-kr1s rear wheel spindle and wheel spacers
(just fitted kr1s swingarm and obviously kr1 rear wheel spindle is too short)

-wiring loom clips that attach the loom to the frame

till next time

november 2010

finally got a bit more done to the bike, got it rolling now

jobs to do are:

-polish fork legs
-drill out kr1 speedo drive so that it fits kr1s front spindle (doh)
-get a longer powervalve cable made up so that it will work now that i've changed the powervalve sequence
-paint a few things here and there
-route all the cables and electrics properly through the frame

can't wait to hear it running again

until next time
nick69
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work mate,one of my all time favorite bikes,looking forward to your next post Very Happy
Drunkn Munky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking work there, the powder coated frame looks ace and looks very well done.
mavesyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post, very informative.
Hope you get it finished soon.....
maccas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how the bike is looking now:

merry christmas!
maccas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right been ages since i updated so here goes:

Got the frame back from powdercoaters and started to put back together.
Yes the bike is in my living room on the first floor lol, i live in a coach house with the garage underneath. I'm sure it will go down the stairs and out the front door lol.

Pics:

Pretty happy with the satin silver, it looks very factory.

Will add some more pics in the next week or so.

Jobs left to do:

Paint rear brake torque arm
Paint rad guard
Paint bar ends
Polish the crap out of the aluminium bits

Parts left to purchase:

Relevant jets for these bad boys:

Decent throttle tube
Stainless bolts for here and there

Till next time
maccas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got alot further with bike!

Now taxed and mot'd!

Heres how it looks with stainless lomas pipes also added!

Nearly done, just tweaking the jetting, one of fork seals has gone too bloody typical!

Maccas
maccas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick vid of the KR1, clutch slipping but sorted that now:

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z125/maccas125/?action=view&current=P1000541-1.mp4

Maccas
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build story, thanks for sharing with us.
Sounded fantastic zipping past on the vid 
Hope to see you at one of the Classic 2stroke track days !
Very Happy
maccas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

Yeah I'm very keen to get along to one of the trackdays next year, i'm not too far from cadwell so could probably ride it there!

The bike now has a zeeltronic programmable ignition fitted that I will be tweaking over xmas:

The ignition curve isn't far off, the jetting needs tweaking at the bottom, the powervalve opening rpm needs setting up on the dyno ideally too.

I can report however that the bike now starts, idles and revs much quicker even with the standard ignition curve loaded up, very happy with it!

Maccas
terrycarter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they pwk 35carbs ????

If so what manifolds did you use
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Kawasaki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: