Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Restoration of Mk3 rg250
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Restoration of Mk3 rg250 Reply with quote

Hi
I have just started restoring a Mk3 rg250 gamma and have a couple of technical questions.
I have a uk spec model and also jap Walter Wolf version that i am going to make one good bike out of. Are the wires on the Flywheel electrics the same?and if not can i swop the electrics and flywheel from 1 model to the other?
Also uk engine had been seized (k&n Filters on it) so need new pistons but barrels look ok (may rebore to be safe) is there always numbers stamped on the pistons telling wether they are oversize or not even on pattern replacements? The pistons i took out of the seized engine have no nos stamped on them so could be standard .
I think crank is also damaged because of lack of oil, looks very dry on big end but don't know how to check any advice?
Have put a wanted request for white faced temp/fuel gauge and seat converters (any colour) if any of you know of any available.
thanks Very Happy
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The generator and wiring are the same for all RG 250 models
Only if your WW is a MK4 then there are many differences.

On the genuine pistons there is a marking with oversize.
On standard size piston not

White faced fuel/temp gauge are available but you would have more luck on Japanese auction sites.

You will need a tank offcourse with the sender unit in and a different loom.
But that should be on your Japanese WW
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wolfman may be a daft question but is the ww bike too bad to restore?
I'm looking for a ww model for restoration - would money from selling that help buy parts for your uk bike? or did you buy the ww for patrs?
I'm in York so not far away and I'm also restoring a japanese import mkIII at the moment I'll put some photos up when I get a minute.
Good luck with the resto let me know if you need anything.
Chers, Rob.
wolfman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob
The WW is in reasonable condition and is taxed and tested. The engine is ok and goes well but bit top end rattly.The bodywork has suffered the usual cracks and vibration damage aswell as some minor crash damage.
I already have one WW (see previous post ref front brakes for pics) so wanted to have a original white/blue model which i think are the original and best colours.
I recently bought a early mk3 in these colours but the bike is only suitable for spares as most of the bodywork is scrap and the engine has been seized and run low on oil (possibly crank damage) so i am going to use WW as donor for the white/blue model and get all the panels re-sprayed to suit.
These rg's are quite rare now i haven't seen one round here for many years,it would be good to get together and compare notes during the year and if i can help with bits for yours and vice versa all the better,i would rather swap bits than sell if its possible.
I have put a wanted add on this site for white faced temp/fuel gauge or full clock set with the above on and also l/h bellypan so if you know anyone who can help with these pm me. I would swap my WW clocks for a set of White faced clocks but these must have the dual temp/fuel gauge.
I have already started the rebuild frame is cleaned swing arm also with bearings checked cleaned and re-greased,i am surprised how easily the bike came apart and how good a condition bits are in under all the crud and oil. Wheels are powdercoated,new bearings just waiting for tyres and to spray disc middles .
I am just sorting through panels to get the best to send away for repair and re-spray ,i am trying to straighten front fairing bracket and then will fit all panels to old frame and then take it to Mark at Paint Supremacy who does a fantastic job, all paint no stickers (checkout my rothmans vfr in the 4 stroke diesel section he re-sprayed that).
thanks for all replies and help much appreciated. Very Happy
wolfman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Work In Progress Reply with quote

Hi All
I have Now Started The resto of my other RG MK3 which is going to be a long and expensive project but should be worth it when finished.The bike is all stripped now and next job will be to powder coat the frame and swinging arm which is too pitted to have standard. I have already got wheels sorted and new tyres fitted plus a couple of other bits powdercoated.
The engine is going to need a full rebuild inc crank but then it should be good for a few years and i know what condition everything is in .The rear mudguard and other black plastics have cleaned up well and are ready for re-fit. I still need those indicators and side panels Rob if you read this.
I am struggling at the moment for space as my large single garage has my WW mk3 Daily Ride my Mk3 resto my Rothmans VFR and also my riley vintage car so any serious work can only be done when vehicles are removed and weather has been stopping this.
My other WW mk3 the tidy one lives in the shed at the moment with my track vfr.
Here's some pics of daily ride,resto and one of my old smoker the vintage car Very Happy

RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,

Now thats an old car! good stuff, a lovely looking classic car. I used to restore 1970's SAAB's but can't be bothered with all the welding etc anymore, so I'm sticking to bikes.
The indicators and panels are here, just arrange to view/collect whatever. I have a good few other 'assorted' RG bits, feel free to have a rumage.
Cheers, Rob.
Still want yer WW.......
wolfman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob
Is there anything you need besides my WW its not for sale yet but maybe later on in the year or early next year depending on progress with resto.
The old car is interesting to drive and has limited performance being 1100cc and weighing 1.5 tons , acceleration is steady Very Happy but will cruise all day at 50 mph unless theres a hill , then it slows rapidly.
I will ring you tomorrow any good time?
Thought i'd add a pic of me riding a 1925 500cc tt douglas at cadwell many years ago (1984 i think) 3 speed hand change but would do 90 mph,not a 2 stroke but smelt good running on castrol R
cheers charlie

RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Phone pretty much anytime on the mobile number.
Looks good at Cadwell, oldest bike I've ever riden is a 1936 Triumph
500cc single, suprisingly easy to ride - but definately not to ride fast!

Rob.
wolfman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Progress on mk3 resto Reply with quote

hi
Just a quick update on progress (which is slow) , forks are stripped and ready for stanchions to go away for re-chroming (Philpots) and engine is stripped ready for all parts to be blasted ready for re-paint.
The crank is ready to be sent for a rebuild , don't know were yet.
I've just got the front pipes back from being blasted , re-painted with bbq paint and baked on at the powdercoaters. All footrest's are cleaned and re-fitted and rear master cyl is rebuilt and ready to fit.
Next job is to go and buy all the bearings and seals for the engine hopefully from a local supplier ,will be cheaper.

RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie

Your expansion chambers look very nice, BBQ paint gives a nice satin finish! I sprayed mine with PJ1 which looks good but very matt but is horrible to put on so I might try BBQ paint next time! The PJ1 stuff was very temperature sensitve (everything had to be warm) and remained tacky for ages and had very strong fumes and at £12 a tin was not cheap. Incidently I have just painted my end cans with Simoniz high temp paint, £8 a tin went on cold no fumes and dried in 15 minutes - fantastic stuff I'll definately use it again.

Cheers Rob.
rgdave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may i ask where you got the end cans re wrapped?they look spot on mate.
intrudin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgdave wrote:
may i ask where you got the end cans re wrapped?they look spot on mate.

+1, Very Happy those cans look great.. 'can' you give info on where you got them???
cheers ,jimd
wolfman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: end can refurb Reply with quote

hi guys
i got a friend down the road to replicate original shrouds in stainless steel i had 4 sets done , i sold one set to erik and used the other set in pics i have 2 sets left one for my resto the other may be for sale but would want £60.00 for them . i also have a brand new set of dep silencers that i probably won't use so they could also be for sale but would want £120.00 for them . let me know if your interested . My walter wolf is also for sale due to a marriage break up so if you know anyone interested let me know but would want as near to £2000.00 as i could get .
Thanks
intrudin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: end can refurb Reply with quote

wolfman wrote:
hi guys
i got a friend down the road to replicate original shrouds in stainless steel i had 4 sets done , i sold one set to erik and used the other set in pics i have 2 sets left one for my resto the other may be for sale but would want £60.00 for them . i also have a brand new set of dep silencers that i probably won't use so they could also be for sale but would want £120.00 for them . let me know if your interested . My walter wolf is also for sale due to a marriage break up so if you know anyone interested let me know but would want as near to £2000.00 as i could get .
Thanks

Dibs on the SS shrouds Laughing PM sent.....
cheers jimd

jimdainty@hotmail.com
wolfman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Resto update Reply with quote

hi all
progress very slow since marriage split but just starting to get going again.
Forks are now rebuilt and ready to go in, all bodywork sprayed and ready for fitting just need to paint front disc middles then all front end will be done apart from bleeding brakes. Next job really is to fit wiring loom and get all the lights horn etc fitted. My clocks are on and look good with the orange needles . My walter wolf resto is sold and going early next month so hopefully will use the money to sort this engine rebuild if theres any left after paying credit card off .
heres some pics of progress;

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: