Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RG250 resto update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: RG250 resto update Reply with quote

Hi, progress has been good recently as the bike is now almost complete with all electrics working and the engine running perfectly! Very Happy Fantastic to hear the bike running after 18 months in bits, no end cans so rather loud but sounded spot on, crisp and tight, it revved nicely and idled perfectly.
I've just a few tiny little bits to add and finally check then I'll be loosely fitting all the bodywork then I can phone Dream Machine to arrange for them to collect it to have a full respray in it's original colours - can't wait for that after all the hard work!
I'll post a few photos of it complete this week, then post a few in it's multi-coloured bodywork before it goes to Dream Machine.

Rob.
wolfman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Rob
will be good to see pics and glad to hear bike runs ok , although it should do with those new carbs you have. It should be on the road for summer if we get one this year.
I was out on daily ride today did about 35 miles it ran really well, had it upto 100 ish without ducking behind fairing (not that my 15 stone frame would let me lol).
I should pick up my other WW paintwork next fri so will be re-building that next weekend and will post some pics when finished.
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, having new carbs did help a lot! I was very lucky to find them but they are still very fiddly to fit in place as it's really cramped for space, especially with my clumsy fat fingers! I attached a pre-mix bottle to get it running so I'll have to bleed the oil pump before it's first shake down ride.
Your end cans look nice Charlie, I'll see how mine turn out, I've taken them to a local company in York called Minster Engineering who are making exact copies in stainless steel to be then TIG welded back on to the cans. Should get them back in a week or two..... or three...........
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Up to date resto photos Reply with quote

Should have put these on a week ago but I've been struggling for time, here are a few photos of the bike as it is now, waiting for the mis-matched bodywork to be loosely fitted on.

Rob.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgrobby/sets/72157626084713159/
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodmorning Rob,

Nice pics
Looks very good.
Its a shame that allmost evertything you see in the pics will be covered by the fairing panels.

You have a little rubber cushion over the rear brake line were the bracket fits.
What did you use ?

Regards Erik
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik and good morning.

Thanks for the nice comments and yes it will be a bit of a shame to cover most things up with the fairing panels! I'm so used to seeing it this way!
The small rubber cushion you mentioned comes as part of the braided brake line kit, mine came from HEL but loads of companies make these kits ( I'm assuming you mean the bracket half way along the swingarm? )
I went for stainless steel braided brake hoses (covered in a clear plastic sleeve) because they offer much better braking performance against standard rubber hoses. You can get the braided hoses coated black if you want to have the look of the original brake lines.
Erik, I've offered my bike for display at Uttoxeter in July for the Diff'rent Strokers stand and so has Gary ( I think! ) with his blue and white bike - would you fancy bringing one of yours over for a cracking RG250 line up? Very Happy

Cheers Rob.
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rob,

I have a GOODRIDGE brake line set for the RG.
But they don't have the extra rubber cushion.

Will make one myself Very Happy

Sorry can't come over for the Uttoxeter show.
But can't wait to see the pics on here from the show.
Will your RG be ready ?

Hope the good weather comes fast
Can't wait to get the RG's on the road.

Regards Erik
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik,

I may be able to get you some of the rubber cushions for your brake lines - no promises, but give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can do.
Shame you can't make the Uttoxeter show but yes I hope my bike will be ready in time, I'll let you know how long Dream Machine expect to take to paint it.
I took my RGV250 for a blast yesterday - great but very cold so didn't go too far, just used it for running errands/collecting stuff etc roll on those long hot summer days........ Very Happy

Regards, Rob.
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rob,

That would be great.
I will wait with the brake lines until i hear back from you.

RGV..... its been a while since i have been out on it.
Mine needs new tyres and a repair kit for the front brake calipers.
Been looking for six pot calipers to put on the Bandit 1200.
Then the 4 pot calipers from the Bandit can go on the RGV.

Thats the biggest problem with having (too) many bikes.
They all need work and time.

Today sorting out the fuel leakage of the WW.

Have a nice day

Erik
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Here are a few photos taken yesterday with the bodywork loosely fitted. It's a mixture of original panels and new panels sourced over the last year or so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgrobby/sets/72157626259897092/

Cheers Rob.
Bitacticus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is funny
I had a new bellypan in your grey/red color and had to get it painted in the red/black colors.
Bought it from Spares Direct some years ago.....

Is your tank a Jap spec one?
With the fuel sender in it?

Can't wait to see what Dream Machine is going to do with it.

Have a nice day

erik
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Erik,

I'm looking forward to seeing what Dream Machine can do as well - I hope they are good at sticking broken bits of top fairing back together as mine is very cracked and broken around the windscreen and mirrors!

The tank in the pictures is a Japanese spec one with the fuel guage sender etc in it, the one that came with the bike was very rusty inside (but it still got me back 200 miles riding it home from London!) so this is an excellent replacement, perfect inside, in the correct colours and was a bargin at only £35! Very Happy

Regards, Rob.
wolfman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Rob
Your Bike is looking really good now (good set off pics) and i bet you can't wait to get it painted. When are you hoping to have it finished? Have you got your exhaust end cans back yet? . There seems to be a few bikes being sold at the moment alot of them though are basket cases and in need of alot of work.
I bought a set of mirrors off ebay the other day, they are the longer type like on Eriks WW and will be a great help as the standard ones don't let me see anything but my shoulders. I will be fitting these to my resto and may try to get another set for my WW.
I'm still waiting for my fork stanchions to come back from philpots and they will be my next job but my stash has just about gone so progress from now on will be slow unless i sell WW daily ride ,which is now strong possibility. Don't want to but may have to Sad
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,

I'm still waiting for the exhaust can shrouds to come back Rolling Eyes , but it's been done as a bit of a 'when we've got a bit of spare time job' to try and keep the costs down. I like the look of the longer mirrors as the standard ones are plain rubbish, let me know if they are worth having.
You're right about a few bikes coming up for sale but they are total sheds usually with little or no identity. I've considered one recently myself but it was too far away to bother with (Cambridge area) and had serious ID issues.
Another bike has come onto the bay tonight, a mark 4 in Preston which I think is again way over priced and not registered so has ID issues (possible but costs time and more importantly money).
Interestingly I have only ever seen one other mark 4 bike in blue and white for sale in the last 3 years and that too was in Preston and sold for £600 ( I know because I bid on it and almost got it!) yes it's the same bike and is now on at £1800 and he hasn't done a thing to it, people seem to be getting very greedy these days......

Regards, Rob.
RGRobby
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik,

I've managed to get hold of 1 rubber cushion for your rear brake line, if you want it (free) can you send me a private email with your address and I'll post it over to you.

Regards, Rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: