Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Plugs Fouling With New Oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
owned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Plugs Fouling With New Oil Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I run a R1-Z and have used Motul 710 2 stroke oil and had no problems. I just drained the oil tank and refilled with Castrol Power 1 Racking 2T, which used to be TTS and before that A545, and now the plugs foul when the bikes gets hot. It also bogs down in low revs when hot and runs better with the choke on even when at the proper operating temp.

I tried adjusting the thread all the way in on the oil mix adjuster on the cable that runs to the pump to make it run with less oil and it's a bit better, but it's still fouling and needs the choke on to run at all when hot.

I did a search and it seems this type of Castrol oil can foul in some bikes. I used to run A545 in all my bikes in the 80's and never had this problem. I also know that different oil viscosities can either make the mix to lean or rich, and that would appear to be happening here as I need to run with the choke on. Is there anything I can do with the mixture screws on the carbs to sort this out, or is rejetting the only option. If it is I will go back to the Motul 710 as I know it works.

I'm running with the oil pump on the R1-Z and Castrol says the Power 1 Racing 2T is fine for either pumps or pre mix.

Cheers for any advise in advance.
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest a carb strip, there shouldn't be much (if any) changes required when changing makes of 2 stroke oil, are all the connectors ok, and the lines to the carbs/pump etc bled when changing oils.

Might be worth chucking a new set of plugs in too?
R1Zman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run mine on motul (at least the Hein Gericke branded oil which they said to me was the same as motul - just before they went out of business!) & also Castrol racing - no problems in fouling at all with either.
So......I don't think the oil swap is your problem here.

My problem is still getting her started from cold - usually 30 kicks - but no problem when hot. Changed plugs, battery, cleaned air filter, carbs were stripped before I purchased & despite this starting has always been an issue. Any ideas?
owned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice guys.

Yep its time for a crab clean.

I also cleaned the foam air filter when I changed the oil. Its was dry and not very dirty, but I cleaned it with an air hose. Should these filters be oiled, and if so what with.

Not sure why you have starting problems, mine starts first or second kick every time, doesn't matter if the bike is hot or cold or not be used for ages.
emzedder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly I had what might be termed a "technically challenging" session at Cadwell with the TA. Running it at home seemed fine and then at the circuit on Friday she had exactly the symptoms you explain here but maybe more severe. I stripped carbs and eventually found that the jets had been damaged/corroded almost beyond belief. All I had done is change the oil to full synth race formula. I just could ne get her to run for an time.

I can only conclude that the petroil mix is subtley different and swings the balance - most frustrating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: