Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

On a rant.... I really don't like Facebook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: On a rant.... I really don't like Facebook Reply with quote

Sorry ...

I'm saying this now by way of apology ..
Now the reason why..

Facebook is killing the Forums which is a shame.
Facebook is w@nk and has far too many opinionated t@ssers

I'm on a number of Forums and they have almost died.
The Gag site is no more.. The ZXR forum and 2 stroke Forums are quiet as a mouse and the once mega lively KR forum has only retained its die hard fans .. The Derbyshire Bikers Forum hasn't had a proper post for months ..

It's hard not to look on Facebook. Many have moved to that platform and as they do.. the less these Forums get used.

So I'm as guilty as everyone else ... And I'm sorry (hangs head in shame)

What am I gonna do?
Spend more time on great forums such as this one and less time on ?.erm... That other thing...

Thumbs Up
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I "Like" this post?

Wink
bobbyboy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apology needed!

I'm not a fan either to be honest, it just seems a platform for instant gratification. A bit more like banter, like having a chat in the pub, face to face?
It has it's place informing people what's going on here and now, but not as a long term medium of information that can be referred to at a later date.

Although it could be because it's meant for the younger generation with shorter attention spans than us oldies! Laughing
DSBBadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult one. Everyone likes to interact in different ways. Some people share everything, everywhere, all the time, on all platforms. Some people give so little away that they could be a MI6 double-agent. Who's right ? Hard to say. Everyone's diff'rent. Wink Do whatever makes you happy. Certainly no need to apologise.

We do have a DS Facebook page because we thought we ought to. We don't do a lot with it to be honest. We've also got a DS Twitter account but we only remember to log on to that once a year. Embarassed There are countless other newer platforms that remain a mystery for those of us still struggling with our first smartphone... Rolling Eyes

The LC Club have a Facebook page too, and it's had a negative impact on their Forum because some people prefer the immediacy of FB. But if they're attracting more members and gaining content overall, it must be a good thing surely ?

We've seen popular forums implode due to the actions of just one or two trolling idiots that weren't nipped in the bud. Others have gone due to over-zealous moderators driving genuine people away. Some just die due to lack of interest.

Incidentally, we're perfectly happy with the way this forum runs - sure it's quiet, and we'd like more of the zero-posters to contribute, but you don't cause us any trouble and everyone (who posts) seems to have the same friendly and helpful attitude to our shared hobby.

StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined FB nearly 3 years ago, reluctantly, just to try and work out what it was for and if it was any use to me. I'm honestly still not sure. I still look at it every day and I post things quite often, but I don't know if it's a good thing or not really.

Should I be sharing all this stuff with my actual friends, my so-called facebook 'friends', and Mark Zuckerberg and his evil advertising agency ? Probably not. Is it better to keep everything private and spend my whole life flying under the radar as much as possible ? Maybe.

But if I'd not joined the Yamaha RD Forum back in 2001, not started my own KR250 website two years later, not joined all the other bike forums, not helped start DS in 2006, not managed to get this forum running a year later, then I wouldn't own the bikes I've got, wouldn't have met most of you lot, wouldn't have gone to the KROG event in Japan, wouldn't have gone to as many fun events on my bike, wouldn't have considered doing a trackday, wouldn't have Kork Ballington's home phone number, wouldn't know how to find and source rare parts direct from Japan etc etc. The same is true with the non-bike aspects of my life too. Social media - including forums and Facebook - makes the world go round, and the odd troll or nobhead is a smallish price to pay for opening up your life to some new experiences. Just my 2p worth.

Having said that, what does drive me absolutely f.mental on FB is the piss-poor online literacy of a lot of people. It's probably to do with just being able to read something and then post a stream-of-consciousness reply in seconds, with your thumb, without bothering to check anything, add any punctuation or correct any spelling. Chuck in some deliberate txt spk and it takes me 3 or 4 goes before I can work out what they're trying to say. That doesn't tend to happen on forums. Maybe we should all just go back to writing letters with a nice fountain pen and putting a stamp on, things were a lot easier then... Confused
emzedder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A case of quality versus quantity (or maybe frequency) ... FB encourages single sentence updates on what you might have had for dinner or the latest trick performed by your dog but forums have some real conversation, debate and tech content. If forums have trouble surviving it's down to the contributors and thankfully DS is different and had depth as well as humour in addition to idle banter. I note some periods are quieter than others but maybe that's because people are out doing real things like riding or working on two stroke motorcycles!!

Everyone keep up the good work ...
gammaguy21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stayed away from FB as I don't really get it.
I've had friends that have had nothing but relationship issues because of FB.

Sadly, I've also noticed this trend where forums are posting more stuff on FB that I can't access. May mean I might actually have to join. Mad
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im the youngerish generation, only just reached my 30s and i had facebook for years but deleted it about a year ago and havnt missed it!

I really dont need to know what you had for dinner, or what the weather is like.

But i do think its strangled the forums a bit and cant stand the trolling nobbish posts on there, much better to wait for a sensible reply here than a stupid instant one offering to sell me powerbands Very Happy
yanw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I've stopped looking at any bike groups on FB due to the number of c0ck-ends.

I check my bike forums (DS, TZR250 and GPZ500 (but to be honest they are a bit odd)) daily, well when I'm at work.

When I get some time to do bike stuff I'll start posting again, but I am still lurking and resisting the temptation to get a late model AR125 or AR80....
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been on facebook, and probaby never will, got other things that I prefer to do with my time, it's just another platform as mentioned, If you like it them 'knock youselves out' i still prefer the good old forum, but have noticed them slowing down, especially the KR1 forum, but then again, one topic taking 37 pages to rebuild a bike was getting a bit tedious for me, I felt it a bit 'look at me' and got bored!!!
Then again the Luders racebike thread is full of incredible talent and information. I'm confused Smile
andyw114
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is easy as its at hand on my phone but i agree with you. Its full of muppets. I could go more extreme on my view of them but the posting might get deleted. Laughing
jim157

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a fan of any social media but Facebook irritates me the most. It all seems quite vacuous and arrogant at times, with people posting crap just for the attention factor.

I think it's main downfall is that it ultimately fails to provide the information resources or the sense of community that you generally get with forums.

I suppose it is good for posting pictures of what you had for your dinner though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: