Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

TZR250R RS V-Twin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TZ250 Crank has arrived! Man that was a long time to ship Rolling Eyes Another £30 to pay in duty and handling fees.

It looks sound, but as suspected the primary and balance shaft gears are differenet to the 3XV, splined rather than keyed. If the crank pins are the same size as one of my dead 3XV cranks maybe I can swap the output end of the TZ crank for one from the 3XV...

Again I'm sorry to say there's no progress on the bike. I've done two months working in India so far this year, and was meant to be there again this month, but the job's been postponed. All I seem to have achieved (bike wise) this year is adding to my pile of semi-servicable 3XV parts.

I've just come back from the TT where I was pleased to see that the 250 and 125 machines are back. They're not running on the mountain circuit, but at least they're part of the festival. It might be nice to go on the 3XV next year, if I can be sure it'll run for long enough to get me there, round and back.

Last edited by arlurt on Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:39 am; edited 3 times in total
garye345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked 10 outta 10 for your efforts to date,hope it all comes togeather soon Smile best post i have read,thankyou Shocked
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's nice to hear from other people, and to know that my waffling's are being read. Smile

I've taken some pictures of the latest parts acquisition and will add them to the post at the weekend.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know I left a 3XV in here somewhere...

Strokerboy mentioned he might be short of a bike or two to show at the VJMC thing so I suggested he could take the 3XV, if he didn't mind it being a static-display-only machine.

I'm a little ashamed to say that since it blew itself up two years ago, (now I am ashamed Embarassed !) I haven't cleaned it. I pulled the engine apart, found the problem, then made myself busy trying to get the bits to fix it.

Well if it's going to a show then it'd better get a rub down with an oily rag.

If anyone gives it more than a passing glance they might notice there's a load of bits missing behind the fairing... Airboxes, 'stat housing, plumbing, a cylinder and head, little things like that, but it doesn't look too bad for a sixteen year old bike.

So if Stokerboy really wants the smell of two-stroke-death on the DS Stand at VJMC, some of you might see it there, cowering in a corner... Hope he doesn't want mirrors. Confused

...But for the moment it's tucked back in to it's hiding place.

Last edited by arlurt on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed following this thread too, and have since used FromJapan to get hold of a good rad for my Gamma, shipped for less than a UK one. I gotta say, I feel for ya, fella, a Grand for your engine/boat anchor has to sting a bit.....keep at it.

http://www.rg250.co.uk
Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep reading this to remind me why I shouldn't lust after an exotic bike!

[Seriously - I'm following this story closely, don't stop posting now!]

She clean's up real nice and perhaps displaying it might winkle out someone who's got a crashed one [with a good motor] in his shed!!!

Perhaps a display with the "story so far"???
jamietzr250r

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been following this with great anticipation, you are attempting (tz crank) that's i think been tried on the tzr250 forum.
go there it has loads of info and very helpful guy's esp warwickb (wb) and martin77.
wb has got a plethora of information on these bikes.
i hope that mine does not go you way too much hassle (and out of work at the mo so no money Sad ).
good luck and keep up the good work. Very Happy

TZR250R(3XV1),RD125LC MK2 (project),RD/DT 80/125 LC (nearly), TZR50R 4eu import (project)
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows what's what with these bikes. The data I have on power outputs and CDIs is from http://www.froos.com/3xv.htm

This says that 93 onwards they were all 40HP, and that the 93 bike used the 3XV-60 CDI. I've not had mine on a dyno or anything like that, it just seemed to rev cleanly a little further up the range with the -00 CDI, before it hit that funny power plateau, than it did with the -40 CDI.

The -00 only cost me a tenner anyway so if nowt else, I've got a spare.

I think that some of the confusion came about because the 92 RS was released late in the year, so most of the sales must've been in 93. So do they have a 45HP or a 40HP CDI...? Confused
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a fit of boredom / frustration on Sunday I had another crack at getting inside my spare CDI. I'm hoping that once I get through all the potting compound I'll find a little switch labeled 40hp/45hp/60hp.... Idea

What do you think. Rolling Eyes

I've already tried going at it with a Dremmel, and petrol, and white spirit, and heat. This time I decided I'd go in the back door. I cut though the casing down all the corners and peeled it like a banana. Sound simple but the casing had to be broken off in pieces, wow it's tough! Took me over an hour to get in without wrecking anything.

I was hoping the the circuit board had been fastened into the casing and then the compound poured over it, but no. the compound fully encases the circuit. Worse still the compound has what appears to be a granular glass or sillica filler in it, like a really coarse sand. This stuff is sharp so the compound can't be just peeled off the circuit, it comes off in pieces. And if you try to rub it off with your thumb it cuts the skin. This also explains why the Dremmel brass-wire brush made so little impression.

Any way, this is where i'm up to. The back of the circuit board is fully exposed, but the component side is going to be much harder. I've got an edge exposed and think I can work my way in from there.

Craigside_Pete
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed - I prefer my "little black boxes" to stay that way so my hat's off to you! I think you deserve to find a row of dip-switches to let you select the power you want Very Happy
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now sold my Nikkon Pipes, advertised on here earlier, so have been "re-investing" the proceeds in some more bits "From Japan". They've got a flat rate commission promotion on at the moment so I had a look and found a couple of items of interest...

I hope these bits will move me more practically towards a running 3XV than the pipes would have done. Now I just have to brace my self for the cost of shipping... Sad

The gaskets and some of the parts are 3XV-C so not all are suitable for my bike. I'll have a sort through, keep those that suit me and sell on the rest. The 3XV-C base gaskets look to be the same as the TZ250 4DP ones I bought last year, looks like I might have a job lot to move on.

I suspect the crank is sick, but even from that rubbish picture I can see it's better than the one I've got! The needles are still in the big ends, and it should be a better candidate for rebuild than any of mine.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited by arlurt on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
jamietzr250r

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how/who do you get your parts from?
what sort of prices are you paying?
and can you get ANY part?

keep up the good work.......

TZR250R(3XV1),RD125LC MK2 (project),RD/DT 80/125 LC (nearly), TZR50R 4eu import (project)
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service parts, gaskets, seals, pistons and rings and the like can be available from your local yamaha dealer. The guy behind the counter at my local dealer has a 3XV, so he's pretty much with it on what is and is not available. Things bought this way usually arrive within a week, but are quite expensive. A piston was £50, and that didn't include rings, gudgeon pin, circlips or little end bearing.

Items do come up on eBay, it's worth keeping an eye out, and making sure you check the international sellers and the eBay shops. There are sometimes bargains to be had.

I've had quite a few bits from "Southern Cross" in Australia. They sell some bits through eBay, if you contact them direct they they will also supply items that are not listed. They're cheaper than the Uk, but shipping can be expensive. Parts have taken upto ten days this way, and be aware that customs might intercept them and charge duty, and a handling fee from the post office.

Last option is Yahoo Japan. They don't use eBay in Japan, they use the Yahoo auction site. Do a search on there for 3XV and all sorts of wonderful things come up. BUT shipping can be VERY expensive, don't be tempted by the complete engines for sale, mine cost £900 pounds to get here, and took several months. AND, be aware that the Japanese description of the item (that I assume) you can't read may say important stuff about the item being broken.

Most Japanese sellers won't sell directly to UK buyers so you have to use an agent in Japan. There are a few that will bid on your behalf, have it shipped to them in Japan, and then forward to you in the UK. There can sometimes be bargains to be had. The two items I've just bought in the post above have cost me (so far) 28,000 Japanese Yen, 211/£, so that's about £132 for an SP crankshaft and all the new parts you see. With fees, import duty,shipping and then rest expect your bargain to double in price by the time you have it here in the UK. And if it is knackered when it arrives, and you didn't know because you can't read Japanese, then tough. You're stuck with an expensive ornament.

Last edited by arlurt on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting there.... Slowly.

From this.... ...to this... ...with hours wasted, and finger ends sore...

So far there's nothing that's obviously marked as being a configuration setting. And there's no sign of the EPROM I was hoping to find with the ignition map, it must be part of the processor I guess. Confused

Next points of interest are the two large dark-red devices. I had thought they were capacitors, but the markings on them don't support that idea. I haven't dug down to the markings on the board that apply to them yet, maybe there's a clue there. Inductors maybe?

It appears that these devices have just two lead wires, and that they're mounted on their sides. From the other side of the board it's apparent that there are quite a few components underneath these red devices, maybe my engine power setting switch is there.

Well done to Chris on beating me to the 3XV-00 CDI that was on eBay. I didn't know it was you I was bidding against, that's the problem of all these anonymous auctions. I hope it does what you want of it.

Last edited by arlurt on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
jamietzr250r

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, i was wondering if there was a way that a system could be set up so that we could order together to save money. a guy on the tzr250 forum (from ausy) is trying the same idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: