Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

SDR 200 Carb question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:43 am    Post subject: SDR 200 Carb question Reply with quote

So my bike has the stock 3XV carb and on the right side there is a boss that is threaded, looks like something should go in it, but its empty and the bike isnt running right at top end of rev range....however in all the diagrams I see, I do not see the right screw...I thought it was a "jet block screw" but it was not...further it's 7mm (odd size) I think, thread....

There is a 3XV for sale on ebay, shows same hole, empty, so maybe its supposed to be that way...also dont feel it sucking air when bike is running...

I have posted separately about the (new to me) bike....I love it but its not quite running right at top end as it will only do 120kph and doesnt feel like its pulling the revs or power it should be....i have an electronic tach i am going to put on so I know what revs i am getting, and hoping to find a simple fix...other ideas are welcome...
1985 Yamaha RZ350 (mild mod/blue)
1987 Yamaha SDR200
James P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that the hole (although tapped) does not lead anywhere. The TM28SS carb bodies used on the TZR 3XV models have tapped holes on both sides for a throttle stop adjusting screw. On one carb, only one of the holes is drilled through (for the throttle stop screw). On the other carb, neither of the holes are drilled through...because that carb has a throttle position sensor on the top of it, which itself includes a throttle stop adjusting screw.
The two threaded holes is a handy feature, as it makes it easy to change the location of the throttle stop adjusting screw from one side to the other (if it makes access to the screw easier), just by drilling a small hole. The original hole should of course be sealed off with a blanking screw though.
Assuming your vacant stop screw hole is not drilled through, it should not be the source of your trouble.

Regards,
James
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thks James - Inhave found that to be the case indeed and even though I have not done much, the bike is running quite well, seems to like cool air so maybe jetted a bit rich for summer….been riding a lot and have now attained 145kph (I’m 170 lbs) and I think she is good - so much fun….I am going to do steering head bearing a rebuild rear caliper…about all she needs….Inwent and bough An RG500 so it is competing with my RZ350 and SDR200 as favorite….
1985 Yamaha RZ350 (mild mod/blue)
1987 Yamaha SDR200
James P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow02Z06 wrote:
Thks James - Inhave found that to be the case indeed and even though I have not done much, the bike is running quite well, seems to like cool air so maybe jetted a bit rich for summer….been riding a lot and have now attained 145kph (I’m 170 lbs) and I think she is good - so much fun….I am going to do steering head bearing a rebuild rear caliper…about all she needs….Inwent and bough An RG500 so it is competing with my RZ350 and SDR200 as favorite….

Glad you got it sorted. I was an RG500 owner for about seven years in the 1990s. I thought it was a good bike and I really liked it, but it was just too much (power, speed, pistons, crankshafts etc.). I would happily have 'mothballed' it as it was mostly original and in good condition, but I couldn't really justify setting aside the space to keep it if I wasn't going to use it. Now that I have the SDR, I think it is much more 'usable' than the RG - just as much fun, but less complex and arguably slightly less dangerous!

Regards,
James
James P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow02Z06 wrote:

Glad you got it sorted. I was an RG500 owner for about seven years in the 1990s. I thought it was a good bike and I really liked it, but it was just too much (power, speed, pistons, crankshafts etc.). I would happily have 'mothballed' it as it was mostly original and in good condition, but I couldn't really justify setting aside the space to keep it if I wasn't going to use it. Now that I have the SDR, I think it is much more 'usable' than the RG - just as much fun, but less complex and arguably slightly less dangerous!

Regards,
James
James P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow02Z06 wrote:

Regards,
James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: