Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

New to me 1987 SDR 200
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thump566

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow02Z06 wrote:
James P wrote:
If considering an engine change for your second project bike, I came across this by chance today: https://aeb-developpement.com/boutique/tdr-125/moteur-250-mxe-adaptable-200wr-200-dtr-125-dtr-tdr-tzr/

I think this is a Chinese copy of the DT230 Lanza engine. There are mentions of 250cc everywhere, but if the bore is 66.8mm and the stroke 64mm, it is still only 224cc. There is also mention of a 280cc kit, but it isn't clear from the blurb exactly how this is achieved (you'd need a 74.5mm piston to get 279cc with the standard stroke). The quoted output of 38hp in standard form seems promising, but comparison with a known quantity (e.g. a standard Japanese DT230) on the same dyno would be necessary to validate the claim.

A quick internet search revealed the same engine cheaper direct from China https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004233296199.html but perhaps the extra cost from AEB comes from that firm dismantling and checking the engines before sending them out...and seemingly fitting standard YZ250 crankshaft bearings, as stated in the blurb. I wonder what is wrong with the bearings fitted in the factory...Rolling Eyes

Again, I'm not sure that the Lanza engine mounting points will allow the engine to slot straight into an SDR frame, but it may be worth investigating.

Regards,
James

Thks James - my "wild" project thought was actually a VINS V-Twin 2 stroke - the type that is in the new Langen - I have inquired if they would sell me one, not sure they will unless I commit to do a whole "production" run, which is unlikely....further, this motors would probaly be too much for the SDR200 frame....maybe would be better in an R1Z frame than an SDR200...in riding the SDR it does seems like it could do more at the upper end of the RPM range and probly tuned overall kind of mildly....so perhaps I will pursue a pipe and other changes or the 230 or just continue to ride and enjoy the thing as is...

The VINS V-twin in the SDR chassis is an interesting proposition. Not sure how much clearance there might be for the lower cyylinder and exhaust vs the front tyre but would be interested to hear if Langen would agree to selling their engines to potential customers.
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the VINs people dont seem to want to sell a single engine....and realistically that would have been a huge project....I have instead been riding, showing, and improving the bike.

I removed the clear coat from the trellis portion of frame, rest was not bad....it looks quite good!

Got the new motor mount bushing set from SDR.com, replaced a few small rubber details, I got new tires (had to go with a front 120 for the rear after a worldwide search.) Installed a new plug and battery.

Recently when riding I was exploring the upper end (rode it "fast" when first bought it), and it was not pulling cleanly at all at the upper end, and only got to about 120 kmh, where its supposed to do 160. Of course I dont know what revs I am at (awaiting an electoronic tach).

So in trying to fugure out this issue, I noticed a "jet block screw" missing on the right side of the carb...im hoping this is the issue...have one on order.

Anyway still in love with the bike, I was actually curator at an important bike show, and I entered the SDR 200 in it....a friend was judging, and wanted to give me top prize...I told him no, I had disqualified myself as the curator, he was supposed to have been told that....still, that was cool....people really are always intrigued by and impressed with the bike.

The best thing though is riding it!!
1985 Yamaha RZ350 (mild mod/blue)
1987 Yamaha SDR200
mboddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridgestone BT39SS in sizes for your bike:
https://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt39ss.html
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thks I did see BT39SS and I had been looking for a rear or even “front/rear” for rear and only I think saw (what I saw now as I rechecked) a front in the 110/80/17 rear stock size - once I gave up on that I maybe did not return to BT39SS….I have Battlax on many of my bikes and like them….

The Michelin Pilot Streets i got (including 120/80/17 front on rear) are a good tire and my OCD has gotten over the fact that it says 110/80/17 on the rear swingarm sticker🤣
1987 Yamaha SDR200
waggytee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow02Z06 wrote:

Anyway still in love with the bike, I was actually curator at an important bike show, and I entered the SDR 200 in it....a friend was judging, and wanted to give me top prize...I told him no, I had disqualified myself as the curator, he was supposed to have been told that....still, that was cool....people really are always intrigued by and impressed with the bike.

I think people really enjoying seeing something different they don't know about, and the SDR fits into that category.

Went to the local hill climb in the UK yesterday (Loton Park), and the same sort of thing happened in the paddock there - we walked straight past all of the Ferrari Owners club cars (yawn) and over to the cars, bikes & sidecars people had either adapted or just knocked up in their garage - far more interesting!!
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waggytee wrote:
Yellow02Z06 wrote:

I think people really enjoying seeing something different they don't know about, and the SDR fits into that category.

Went to the local hill climb in the UK yesterday (Loton Park), and the same sort of thing happened in the paddock there - we walked straight past all of the Ferrari Owners club cars (yawn) and over to the cars, bikes & sidecars people had either adapted or just knocked up in their garage - far more interesting!!

Agreed - funny - I actually have 2 Ferraris and in many ways I find the SDR far cooler / funner, but I am bike crazy these days and cars (even great sports cars) are a little passe in my view!
1987 Yamaha SDR200
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys - pls see my other post "SDR car question....could use some advice, thks
1987 Yamaha SDR200
Yellow02Z06

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys - pls see my other post "SDR carb question"....could use some advice, thks
1987 Yamaha SDR200
James P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow02Z06 wrote:
I actually have 2 Ferraris and in many ways I find the SDR far cooler / funner, but I am bike crazy these days and cars (even great sports cars) are a little passe in my view!

How much would you pay me to take the Ferraris off your hands...? Laughing Laughing

I replied to your separate question about the carb body - the mystery hole seems unlikely to be the source of your woes.

Regards,
James
thump566

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow02Z06 wrote:
Well the VINs people dont seem to want to sell a single engine....and realistically that would have been a huge project....I have instead been riding, showing, and improving the bike.

I removed the clear coat from the trellis portion of frame, rest was not bad....it looks quite good!

Got the new motor mount bushing set from SDR.com, replaced a few small rubber details, I got new tires (had to go with a front 120 for the rear after a worldwide search.) Installed a new plug and battery.

Recently when riding I was exploring the upper end (rode it "fast" when first bought it), and it was not pulling cleanly at all at the upper end, and only got to about 120 kmh, where its supposed to do 160. Of course I dont know what revs I am at (awaiting an electoronic tach).

So in trying to fugure out this issue, I noticed a "jet block screw" missing on the right side of the carb...im hoping this is the issue...have one on order.

Since my last comment I have seen a few test ride articles on the Langen from the UK which uses a slightly moded VINS engine. It looks like the motor really comes alive at top end of the rev range so possibly more suited to track use to get the best out of it? The motor is derived from their track bike alternative so that would be logical. I'm looking forward to seeing a VINS motor in a TZR 250 3XV V-Twin, no there's a thought.

My SDR has a few chips in the Clearcoat so am wondering about repairing it or removing it, what did you use to remove it please?

Also am looking to replace the Front and Rear engine mount bushes but if it is simply a bundles of spacers then a friend will gladly machine a set up for me unless I am missing some info and there is more to it than that?

Also considering a Jackal simply to save weight, sound a little crisper and hopefully breath a little better.

Look forward to any thoughts on the above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: