Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

3ma Flat spot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crock41

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: 3ma Flat spot Reply with quote

My recently purchased 3MA has a severe flatspot at about 5000 rpm, if the throttle is held open the engine will eventually pick up at about 7000 rpm when it will then rev freely.
Any suggestions? Sad
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest issue of Performance Bikes says that 3MA owners needing help and advice should contact... erm, us. Oh dear... Embarassed

Have to admit I've not really done much work on mine luckily. There's a few areas to look at - check the powervalves are working properly, have a look at the solenoid-controlled air jet thingys, clean and check the carbs and all the airbox/filter/tubing. Quite complicated for just a parallel twin really. Confused

Best thing is to just point you at the archive of useful info already on the TZR Forum : 3MA section. Warwick and Martin are the men to speak to, although they do come on here sometimes too.
martin77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's almost impossible to give a definate answer to your problem, as a flat spot like that could either be rich or lean running. Does it cough, splutter and spew forth smoke from the pipes, and needs more throttle to clear? if so it's rich.... If it makes a sort of hollow groaning noise and picks up a bit when the throttle is backed off, then it's lean.

As Stroker boy says...make sure the PV's are in good order, strip and clean the carbs, try adjusting the pilot mixture screws etc etc...

Sorry I can't be more specific, but these things are complex enough, even without a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: