Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

3xv fluids!!!!!!!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flounders

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: 3xv fluids!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Having trawled through all the info I could find, im struggling to get the spec on the standard oils for the 3xv.

If anyone can help, I need specs for the engine/gear oil, the fork oil and also any particular coolant?

Cheers in advance.
Wb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good 2t oil for the motor (I use Hein Gericke fully synth 'Racing ol' or Motul 710 myself, but any modern semi-synth would be absolutely fine I'd think - esp' if it's just road use and the motor's stock, as it's pretty understressed when wheezing out just 45 ponies)

Any decent stroker gearbox oil for the 'box (I use Motul Transoil in both road and track applications) MotoX shops are good for 2T gearbox oil.

For the forks, Yamaha recommend 'Yamaha Suspension Fluid 01', which you can get from your Yamaha dealer, but any decent, light, fork oil will be fine. Depending on Application (road or track) I use 5, 7.5 or 10wt myself, but I know of others that use oil as heavy as 15-20 wt.., so you might want to experiment and see what suits you? For R forks you want about 357ml's to leave an air gap of 116mm with the spring out and the leg fully compressed (don't forget to wrok the oil in by pumping before finalising the air gap). SP forks want about 393ml and a 135mm ar gap.

Any old antifreeze and water mix will do. You might want to use distilled water if you live in a hard water area? And you could 'go posh' and use some of the bespoke bike coolant stuff if you wanted? It's a waste of money, mind... Wink
Flounders

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wb, appreciate that, thought it may be the case, im only road riding, but im used to car fluids, and they are so varied, my last two stroke was many years ago, and I used to stick anything in!!!!!

Do you know the weight of Yamahas 01 oil?

Thanks again
Wb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best info I have is that it's very light stuff - comparable to about 5 -7.5wt. Unless you are a real biffa you'll be fine with 7.5 I'd think. If you're over 13 stone, or like a well damped front end then maybe go for 10 or 12.5. They start to feel a bit choppy on the road with anything heavier than 10 in though IMO.
Flounders

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great help, im not big boned, so I will get something in the range you state.
Just picked up 3 litres of Motul Trans oil for £9, bargain I say.

Thanks again for your help

Regards
Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: