Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

RG250 WALTER WOLF LATEST...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLIVERSDAD

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: RG250 WALTER WOLF LATEST... Reply with quote

Things have slowed down on the rebuild lately due to my other half being made redundo and a holiday to pay for so i've got to watch the pennies more.
All the brakes are back on but having trouble bleeding the front. Got a new battery on and all elecs work ok. Need a new horn tho. Cured the right carb overflow prob with a new float valve needle and now the left side does it now and again! Got to get a new chain and hopefully will be able to take it for a run round the block soon.
Just fitted a new pair of original bar grips. Will be getting it ready for MOT asap and then i've got to register it. Bodywork to prepare for new paint also. Looks like it goin to take little longer than planned...
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of watching the pennies....I see ur selling a pair of carbs! Mine is running ok, now. Occasionally the left float sticks and overflows if left empty for any length of time.....the pilot jet was blocked solid on he right carb, so had that off again and sorted it. sounds sweet now! Apart from brakes were at pretty much the same stage.....and it always takes longer (and costs more) than you expect! Mine was a one year build.....its been 2 now!! Keep at it!!
Sorry to hear about your missus being laid off.

Gary

http://www.rg250.co.uk

Last edited by Crofty on Wed May 20, 2009 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
OLIVERSDAD

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the front brakes are a pain to bleed with the new braided hoses fitted. Been told got to bleed all connections from the top down and even try to pull the fluid through at the calipers if that fails!
The carbs have been a pain in the ass too and yes i've got a spare pair for sale on ebay. I'm dying to take it out for a blast and clear its throat. Not good just idling on the paddock stand and reving it now and again. Stroke smoke and oil everywhere on what was a gleaming clean bike before fire up.
Have you put a fuel filter on the carb supply pipe Crofty? It will save lots of hassle if there's bits getting through from the tank. I've noticed the fuel filter and o rings/seals perish on the fuel tank badly and can easily get into the carbs without another in line filter.
These things are sent to try us eh?...
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fuel filter is something I've thought about. I've not run it with the tank on yet, I've rigged up a pot straight onto the fuel line. Even so, when I had to take the carb off there was a red grit in the float bowl!! Must be outta the petrol station underground tank!!

Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you go on with ur brake bleeding? I'm having the same problem with stock rubber hoses!! The master cylinder pulls fluid back on its return stroke coz the hoses are bone dry....I've left it over night with the lever tied back to the bar to see if that'll help.

Mouse99

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i did on my tzr is to use a big syringe, hook it up to the bleed nipple on the caliper with some hose and use it to create a vacuum to suck the brake fluid out, that usually helps.
You have to keep pumping the brake lever of course to let the oil in

When you get oil in the syringe it's then just a matter of the usual brake bleeding procedure to get the air out.

Also,sometimes an air bubble gets trapped in the banjo bolt of the master cylinder, just keep the brake lever pressed and carefully loosen the banjo bolt a bit to let the air out, just wrap a cloth around it to prevent brake fluid splatter Very Happy

After this your brakes should be rock solid Cool
OLIVERSDAD

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be having another go at the front brakes this weekend. Looks like you need to get fluid into all of the hoses down to the calipers by pulling it through with a suction pipe connected to the bleed nipples on the calipers. When you know fluid is in all the system, i think that is when you know you have a chance of bleeding it. What a carry on.
I would defo recommend putting a fuel filter on the carb supply tube until you know the supply is clean. Make sure you keep the total length of tube the same too as any longer tube restricts the flow of fuel from the tank/tap as i found out when i fitted new tubing all round.
I'm still looking for a new chain at the right price this week...
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Easi Bleed kit from my car mechanic days, and a spare Master Cylinder cap....I'll drill a hole in it and attach the Easi Bleed and pressurize the system.....that shud do it!! I'll let you know how I get on!

Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easi bleed was a limited success...it helped. I had to clamp of the lower hoses and bleed it at the splitter on the bottom yoke, then unclamp the left hose, bled that caliper, then the same for the other right hand side.....worked ok.
Clamping hoses aint an option with braided lines tho...... Rolling Eyes

Mouse99

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch,

Are the hoses still ok or do you need new ones now... Sad
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm ok, I've reused the rubber hoses and was bleeding those! LOL, but Ollies Dad has fitted braided, I believe!! The brakes were a bit OTT on the Gamma, so braided hoses are a luxury, rather than necessity! Tho I will be changing to braided as funds allow. As it stands I'm as good as ready for an MOT!! Just gotta check it over, wheel alignment and such like!

OLIVERSDAD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: LATEST... Reply with quote

Got a new chain on with a split link. DID Gold O'ring that was kindly donated to me after being used on a track bike for one race. Got the left engine cover back on, gear change lever and reset the clutch cable. Got the horn working!
Still haven't got the front calipers bled. Tried everything! May have to take them apart again to see whats wrong.
Been riding it up and down the garden path, using just the back brake to stop me! Sounds and feels good. MOT is the next job when the brakes are sorted and will try to get it registered...
Crofty
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can borrow a vacuum pump for the brakes to suck the fluid thru, I used a pressurized method to bleed mine, was a right pain. What really helped, was slackening off hose unions til fluid leaked out (with pressure in the system) working down from the master cylinder, to the splitter, to the callipers (left hand 1st, then right hand). Had a soft lever then, but that meant I could now bleed the brakes as normal. Beware of all that brake fluid flying about!! I gotta repaint one of my calipers as fluid has crept up the bleed nipple threads and under the paint, making it all crinkly!!

OLIVERSDAD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: LATEST... Reply with quote

Sorted the front brakes at last thanks to my local bike mechanic. Passed the MOT last week! Sorting the paperwork out now for DVLA registration,plate,tax etc. Got it insured cheap too. It's still not complete but should be on the road for May...
BenR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of some pictures?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: