Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

TZR250SP Reverse Cylinder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reverse cylinder jim

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim do you know if there is another 2 stroke Sherburn meet this year at all.
Thanks James.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not heard anything yet Jim. Last year I spotted it on the Yamaha RD forum, which is still dead. Must admit I don't really look at the 'temporary' site that replaced it, but will try and keep an eye out.

Somehow I missed the proposed ride-out at last years meet anyway. Don't know if I got there late, left too early or they just snuck off without me noticing. Confused Probably didn't fancy skidding about on my dumped oil. Laughing Was still worth going though, had a nice chat with some people I don't see very often and admired plenty of cool bikes. Very Happy
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie thread alert ! Shocked

Yeah, I know, the TZR has been neglected over the last couple of years while I've been distracted by my other toys. It still has a current MOT - all I did with it last year was ride it to the bike shop for that and then take the long way back home.

Having taken part at the Cadwell trackday last year on the KR, I've signed up again for this year and I want to take the 3MA this time. I'm hoping it makes a lot more sense on the track then it does on the road. Confused

It'll need a bit of fettling first though. The tyres are a bit old and shiny now (plus there's a nail in the back one) so I'll order a pair of something suitable. The brakes will need their annual stripping and rebuilding as they're prone to dragging if the bike is unused for long periods. Ahem. Embarassed

The clutch will be absolutely fine out on the track, but will be an embarrassment in the paddock due to the loud rattle and on/off nature. Don't know what I can do about that though. Hopefully it'll be OK at the 105dB noise test...

I'll also need to rig up some kind of bottle in the bellypan to catch any oily fuel spilling out of the airbox drain (see previous photo elsewhere in this thread) - I really don't want to be responsible for someone else's crash. The handlebar grips have both split but I have some new ones ready to fit. I'll have to take the mirrors off too and tape up the lights.

Oh, and I finally have a single-seat cowl to go on ! Very Happy Fresh from Japan, it needs painting to suit the SP and last night I started to make a little padded bum-stop for it too. I've got a spare subframe so will grind the rear footrest hangers off that. When you're as slow as me, saving every last bit of weight counts...

By the end of Friday 27th April, it'll have either found a permanent place in my heart, or will be sat in the paddock with a For Sale sign on it. Or, I suppose, scattered across Lincolnshire in many small, smoking, bloodstained pieces.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it out today, first time it's run for 9 months or so. Embarassed Thought I'd make sure it was running OK before I start prepping it for the track.

Did 65kms, dry and sunny but a bit cold. Didn't enjoy it at all, the engine felt harsh and a bit flat.

Not sure what to do now. Anyone wanna swap a nice 350LC for it ? Crying or Very sad

Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good looking bike Tim - shame it's not lighting your fire

All bikes are subjective I guess. I really can't understand why anyone would want a Harley let alone a Japanese Harley copy - yet the Virago owners club is popular and well supported - so what do I know.

Has anyone been to check out that KR250S yet? Cool
maccas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

If you were thinking of selling would you be able to pm me a figure you had in mind please? It may well be out of my price range but i'd be interested to know!

Maccas
Wb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More time with the spanners and less with the polishing rags and all will be well... Or as well as they ever can be with a 3MA in any case. Sacks of shite that they are. Wink

Joking aside, spend a bit of time on it and get it to Cadwell. They go quite nicely round there. It might surprise you

But, yes, defintely sort out its incontinence issues before taking it onto the track Shocked. It'll just be a combination of a bowed fuel tap filter letting rust particles down the pipes and lodging in the flaot valves or perished O rings on the float valves I expect (check the valves themselves too of course, but they seem remarkably resilient usually). It'll doubtless run a bit better if its not flooding all the time too.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:
Oh, and I finally have a single-seat cowl to go on ! Very Happy Fresh from Japan, it needs painting to suit the SP and last night I started to make a little padded bum-stop for it too.

Pretty good match for a £3 rattlecan from the cheapo shop, though it doesn't look it in these pics. Confused Black stripe to follow.

StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 days off over Easter, should get a lot of TZR fettling and riding done then. Nope, the weather meant I'd have been better off with a jet-ski... Crying or Very sad

Anyway, with a couple of other bikes shoved out into the rain, I added a satin-black vinyl stripe to the seat-cowl - it nearly lines up ! Laughing I haven't finished the bum-stop yet but gave the cowl a test fitting. Good job I did, 'cos both front and rear mountings needed considerable filing to make it fit. Rolling Eyes I added a strip of foam to cover the holes until the bum-stop is done. Matches the bike perfectly, ie. it looks pretty good from a few feet away... Confused

I also fitted a new pair of BR8ES plugs, a pair of new handlebar grips and a brand-new pair of Bridgestone BT090's. I've never been one to get excited about tyres, but the imminent trackday drew my attention to the fact that the ones that were on were at least 7 years old and there was a big nail in the back one which I've been ignoring. The front one was the wrong size too. The weather ruled out a test ride but they seem very soft and grippy compared to the hard plastic ones which came off.

Whilst I was at it, I completely stripped, cleaned and reassembled the front brakes again. I also drained the red oily liquid from the airbox and plugged and re-routed the drain tubes.

Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking the 'go faster' twin vents in the seat cover Tim !
You'll have to update the Top Trumps now Wink

Let me know if you see one of those solo seat covers for the KR please - very nice Very Happy
nick69
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Tim Cool
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, but not running good. Crying or Very sad Took it out briefly last night to scrub in the tyres. Still feels sick, like only 1 cylinder is actually doing anything useful.

I re-discovered the dodgy thread when I refitted the front brakes too. Now fixed (well, bodged but safe) with a M10x1.25 half-nut on the back of a longer 35mm bolt. Clears the disc by 3mm luckily.

My local tame mechanic has kindly offered to take it away and see if he can sort it. He picked it up this morning. But at the moment, it won't be going to Cadwell in just under 2 weeks. I need a Plan B.

So I pulled the flat-bars and top-yoke off the SDR so that I could fit the proper ones I got last year. Never as easy as that though is it ? Rolling Eyes The offset is different so the previous owner must have fitted a complete set of yokes off something else. I have an SDR bottom yoke and some better forks too though, so tomorrow looks like another full day in the garage...

2TV owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're in the garage messing with the sdr would you check the ypvs on it and tell me what it should do. Just trying to eliminate possibilities with mine. If you turn ignition on It does its cycle and stays in a position where you could put an allen key in the slot like when you're setting it up. If you start the bike the valve moves anti clockwise so the hole is about 11 oclock if you rev the engine it goes back to what I would call the setting position and then at idle it goes back to 11 oclock. But all. the time It's idling the valve is joggling about. It's not at one fixed position. Any chance you can confirm this Very Happy
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2TV owner wrote:
While you're in the garage messing with the sdr...

Spent six hours yesterday turning the SDR from it's non-standard 'streetfighter' look into a standard-looking but unrideable dangerous nightmare. Which promptly died when I took it for a test ride. Bang Head

Once I'd pushed it home, got my breath back and stopped swearing, I spent a further 2.5 hours investigating why the handling was now so bad (lockstop on the bottom yoke was fouling the back of the headlamp bracket) and why it had died (coil feed wire had pulled off when the bars were on full lock). Rolling Eyes

I managed another quick test ride which proves all is OK. Still got some work to do on it though, so when I can face looking at it again (one night this week I hope) I'll check out the YPVS for you. Very Happy
2TV owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Cheers that will be a big help. Forgot to say in my last post, my old 350 ypvs haynes manual suggests that if the power valve is fluttering it could be that it has a non resitive spark plug fitted. Checked mine (it's new) and its an NGK BR9ES

Hope you get yours sorted!

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: