Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Modern Bikes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Modern Bikes Reply with quote

Last time I bought a brand-new bike was in 1993. I'd been through the stage of buying the latest hot-shot model every year or two but somehow I'd grown out of it by then. Newest bike I own now is a '91 model.

Modern bikes leave me cold. I don't know anything about them any more and they all look the same to me. I know any modern 600 will make all my bikes look like fat, slow dinosaurs but I don't care. I sound like a right old classic bike bore don't I ? Laughing Newest thing I've ridden was a 2003 Z1000 that Padgetts let me borrow for an hour. It was fun but it didn't make me want one.

But I know that some of you have some up-to-date stuff. Tell us what you've got and why you love it.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2006 Fireblade, bought new as an indication to others that it was mid-life-crisis time. (Wife said I couldn't have a teenage mistress. Shocked )

It was my second new bike, followed on from a 900 Hornet that had served me very well, but I always wondered what all the fuss was about with big-bore sports bikes. I ride with some very accomplished riders, and though I'm still a lot slower than them, the change from "built to a price Hornet" to "built to a spec Fireblade" has shown me how decent suspension makes a difference.

I love about it what Tim hates; it's so effortless, light and torquey. I don't do anything like enough miles on it and so when ever I do go out it's a real buzz, frightening and accomplished all at the same time. Wind it on from low revs and enjoys all the power steps through the rev range, and the great noise as the airbox and exhaust do their clever stuff.

I doubt I'll sell it, as I don't think they've improved radically in the last five years. A friend with a 2010 'Blade says his is a lot better than the 954cc one he used to have, and has said he thinks it's a step forward on mine. but so long as I'm not doing many miles on it there's not point in a change.

Last edited by arlurt on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
mavesyn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to agree with stroker boy on this one. Six weeks ago i purchased a Suzuki GSXR 600 k1 off a work mate, it has fantastic handling, braking, is superfast, looks and sounds good, but the bike does nothing for me.
The bike is to good, it does'nt seem to need any rider input, it goes round bends on it's own, i like to ride a bike on the edge, and the only place you could really use this bike to it's potenial would be a track.

So the gsxr is up for sale, and i'm going back to my original plan and looking for a early 90's zxr or yzf 750, that require a bit more rider input.
nick69
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of get where you're coming from Tim I have always had a big bike just in case I needed to go any distance,as the rgv's are a real pain in the arse for owt more than 50 miles.As far a character goes the big twins have it in spades but I crave more two strokes.
Got to get shut of the sp2 now as its just not getting used,its a cracking bike but I just don't enjoy going everywhere at 150mph anymore,a good fast ride on a two stroke is far more rewarding.
Howie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree about new bikes being a bit 'samey' especially from the Japanese four. Wouldn't mind a Triumph 675 or something funky from Aprilia/Ktm.

However, purely for work reasons, I've just gone & bought a 2 yr old Yamaha ( Shocked Unfortunately none of the current Kwak range fitted the bill Sad ) Xt660r.

Can't say I love it but definately warming to it. Single cylinder thumper, not fast, not lightweight & very tall (for me Laughing )

Rather be on my Kr1 any day Very Happy
Unobtanium

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much the same here, can now trade my licence for a bigger bike class with out costing GBP800 Shocked

That was the biggest factor not doing - buys a shit load of goods for the 400 that does Laughing

Most likely will end up with a GPz9 , driven many of them from standrad to Stage4 tune at 180+ they asll felt competant, secure and rewarding with out being too lardy arsed.

Coupled with how much mods you can do to them here to make them a modern day spec'd bike I see it the logical move, I can make it handle, perform the same as most things out there with a classic design that might had been made 25yrs ago or last week Cool

Cost doesn't come into the equation just passion for a bike or how it rides.

It does need soul though !! Shocked

MM!
smokestack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new R1 in 2000 and again in 2002 and still have it. I dont like the look af any of the new offerings but would still buy new again. Having said that I usually drag out either the Lc or the Rg400 when I want to go for a fang. My track bike is a KR1 and what I like about them all is the all or nothing way you need to ride them. Sure the R1 would get there heaps quicker and cheaper Rolling Eyes but wheres the fun in that. I use the R1 when I need to go to work for the commute.
On a side bar I was on a classic run a few weeks ago and was behind an RZ500. I couldnt get over how quite it was, I couldnt even hear it over the LC. The RG is way more anti social than that Twisted Evil
Porkie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1994 CBR6 which is my on going project bike.

Its a good middle of the road bike, But I just dont get the buzz riding her un like My RGV250.

The new toys on the market just dont do it for me any more.

The only bike I would like to have is the MK1 triumph 675 Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: