Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

R1Z owners please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: R1Z owners please Reply with quote

So i've got a couple of replies and enthusiasm over my question about a possible NSR250....but my other candidate for a new 2 stroke is the R1Z/

So can any of you long term owners tell me what living with one has been like? the ups and downs Smile
mboddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had my R1-Z this year. But I have used R1-Z engines in my race bike for eight years.
They are great engines. Very good crank. Easy to get extra power without porting.
32mm carbs, skim head 0.65mm and fit less restrictive silencer end cans.
It will fly and still be reliable.
Electrics can be a bit dodgy. Paint work not very thick.
Brake callipers stick when corroded as is typical of Yamaha of that time.
Check Practical Sportsbikes back issues for R1-Z articles.
Manuals available new (in Japanese) from Webike. http://japan.webike.net/products/9371580.html
They also sell other stuff such as carbon fibre parts.
If you buy enough you get free shipping so do a combined order with a friend.

I wouldn't rather have any other road bike.
R1Zman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coffeebaron
chuffed with mine - first stroker I've had since about 1980 & a lot more practical than a race rep as you don't bend as well after reaching 40!
No real problems (though I think the battery is on the way out as it won't hold a charge) & I understand many parts are available, obviously the motor is/was in common use so the important bits aren't a problem. Fast enough for me, & handles quite well, plus there are not many around. Only had mine a couple of years but it always draws a crowd at the bike shops amongst the gsxr's & blades, & allow 20 minutes at the fuel pumps when some old guy (like me) comes over & tells you all about when they had an LC back in the day. I think it's the smell of 2 stroke bringing out subliminal memories of days when we all had no worries......
There are some great examples on here of bikes with japanese crossover pipes, rgv front ends & the like. Mine's pretty standard, which is fine by me! The sort of bike you'll enjoy tinkering with (no panels to remove) & probably a keeper.
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the personal opinions guys Very Happy This forum is proving to be one of the best i've had the pleasure to be on.

From what I've managed to digest off the net, and chatting to people at places like Fastline, these older TZR motors are strong, and you guys are backing it up.

I've always loved the look of the tektro's like the R1Z, Bandit 400's etc, as I like naked's for the ease of maintenance, but usually end up on race reps as I find the positions comfey and like a light bike.

Truthfully I've been after an NSR for some time, but the price and possible cost/parts availability have made me wary, but I'm a Honda fan from their 90's bikes as I really felt they had top notch quality, being a big v4 fan (RVF400 and a couple of VFR'S). Yamaha's I end up having bad luck with usually ( except the DT125...great bike)

But I keep getting drawn to the R1Z, it seems like a fun, yet practical 2 stroke! I will be taking a pilion regularly, so the R1Z will prove itself there (with a new shock)

R1Zman, have you considered if it's the alternator or reg/rec on it's way out? I only mention as I've had many experiences with them on 90's Hondas... Rolling Eyes the one thing they all suck with Smile
R1Zman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffeebaron wrote:

R1Zman, have you considered if it's the alternator or reg/rec on it's way out? I only mention as I've had many experiences with them on 90's Hondas... Rolling Eyes the one thing they all suck with Smile

You could be right there - I'm no mechanic & have an aversion to electrics - but the battery won't even charge fully on the optimate so I don't know if a faulty reg/rec is the culprit.
By the way - there are hours of footage on youtube of the R1z - it was watching these that did it for me as i'd never seen one on the road here. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you go for one.
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the R1Z dude. I've been checking out Youtube and it's persuading me to seriously think of one Smile

I'd be interested to know if it is your Reg/rec, so post a reply when you've had it checked.

I'm hoping that all will be sorted by the end of this week with my CBR going, then I can start looking to buy Cool
fredjee
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a good r1-z that is possible up for sale ......

Fred.
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts dude? I'm looking in the near future, I'm now free of the CBR, so will be looking to get the cash together. What would be the ball park price?

PM if you don't want to post in the thread
fredjee
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a pm ..... Coffee ....
Coffeebaron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Fred, seen and will respond as requested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: