Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Suzuki GP125 1988 (ish)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonnietiler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Suzuki GP125 1988 (ish) Reply with quote

OK, so I buy this bit of a heap to be honest but its all there...Not too bad all round I spose, spent the day getting it up and ready for the Boy..Now It doesn't seem to have a front brake switch..this is a disc front brake model..Is that correct or is the MOT man going to suck hard on his stubby pencil and shake his oily mush with a frown...also being of the paranoid kind (1st LP i ever bought that) how can I be certain that the oil is being sent from the tank to the motor.
many thanks
bonnie(2 TDR's)tiler
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a Suzuki gp125 so looked it up...

Firstly they are only listed up to 1983? Is that correct? is yours a 1988?

Then the brake switch for front disk...
The parts diagram shows an optional switch on the offside brake lever but no part number. eBay seller lists this one that ay fit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-brake-Light-Switch-Suzuki-GP125-/190659338886

I know some of the older bikes don't have brake switches. For some reason 1978 sticks in my mind as before the date I think some bikes may not have front and back brake light switches.. (Sure someone on here can confirm or correct me on this.. But of course yours was made after that?)

Finally...
Oil pipe, to check this is working on mine I put some 2stroke oil in the petrol (premix) then you can dsconnect the pipe from the oil pump to the engine (if it has One of course... Like I said I don't know the gp125).. Then start the engine and measure the oil pumping as the engine is running. You can check flow rate with the spec/ manual to see that it's ok.

I bet their is a You tube vid of this... Everything else s on there (I haven't looked..)

Hope that ramble helps..

Cool
yanw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need a front brake switch for a UK MoT if:

"Stop lamps may operate in conjunction with either the front or the rear brake, or both. On machines first used on or after 1 April 1986, the stop lamps must operate by the application of each system."

So, pre 01/04/1986 you only need the front OR the back switch to work.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Yan.. Thats helped me too !! Clap
Gillinghampaul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of them! They are pretty quick too!
If you need to get a switch on the front and struggle with the original, you can get a switch built in a banjo bolt so it works off of the front brake fluid pressure, pretty easy to find and just need to bleed the brakes after,
And the carb is in the side on them isnt it?
bonnietiler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice
I'll post a picture tomorrow, so you can all have a lau...look..ahem
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the brake switch: I have owned a Honda cb100n 1980 'w' reg for over 20 years and it does not have a front brake switch, never has had. it has never failed the mot for this. It has the tester doing a double take though as they expect to see one. you could rig something up if you really wanted, just parallel the wires up to the rear light switch if there are non as standard. Front brake is the first thing I use so in a way it makes sense to get a switch on there especially for a novice rider, just lets those stupid car drivers what you are doing.
Am I having a rant here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: