Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Arlurts old 3XV8 RS with SP engine!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maccas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Arlurts old 3XV8 RS with SP engine! Reply with quote

It's about time I started a thread about my newest purchase, Arlurts old 3XV. I didn't know that it was Arlurts at the time though...... Here comes the story

It all started when last christmas I put a post up on here in the wanted section for a 3ma or a 3xv. I had no replies but then I spotted a project 3ma on the TZR forum which needed a lot of work (what I was looking for) and snapped it up. I'd always wanted a 3ma and was really chuffed to finally find one Smile

A couple of weeks passed then I received a PM on here with Hutch on here offering me a 3XV. We exchanged a couple of emails and once I saw some pictures of it I had to go and have a look!

The bike was only in Beverley (20mins from my house), and it turns out that I went to school with 2 of Hutch's cousins who I am still good friends with now! Small world ey!

I went to see the bike and as soon as I saw it that was it, I had to have it. I gave Hutch a deposit and arranged to collect the bike a few weeks later when I was next back from Uni.

Here is the bike after a quick wash:

Hutch had told me that the bike had an SP engine and the SP's 36mm carbs fitted so the first thing I did when home after staring at it for ages lol was take all the panels off and check this out, it certainly did:

Good news, was well happy knowing that the engine has potential for big power with the SP's port layout and carbs Very Happy

However I was intrigued to know why the engine had been changed. Hutch had given me a big lever arch file full of allsorts of history and parts lists, service manuals, promotional material, receipts, you name it it was in there.

I spent one Sunday afternoon going through the whole lot. It still wasn't obvious why the engine had been changed.

I go to university in Bristol and I spent most of last year doing up my KR1 in the evenings and weekends, when it came to getting the bike MOT'd I took it to Bikecare in Bristol, great lads and I've taken a few bikes there now. Well, it turns out that the 3xv had its first MOT at Bikecare when it was imported into the country! Yet again small world!

The bike wasn't running quite right when I got it, was only smoking on one cylinder. I whipped the carbs off and one of the pilot jets was blocked. Sorted that and the bike was much better. Also synched the throttle slides as they were a bit out.

Running lovely:

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z125/maccas125/?action=view&current=utf-8BVklERU8wMDEwLjNncA.mp4

Then one day I was just scanning the yamaha section here and found arlurts thread, I was like thats my bike!!!! After reading that everything made sense, it was sad to see all the trouble that Karl had had with the bike.

Since then I have made a note of the carb settings and swapped the airjets around to try and get close to what an original SP VAJ block should have:

But then Juergen on the TZR forum had opened his VAJ blocks and found different airjets in place:

jet 1 / 2 / 3
cyl.#1 L/H: 50 / 60 / 40
cyl.#2 R/H 50 / 30 / 40

Alot smaller than I have fitted so I will have to see how the bike rides when I get chance.

As Karl had noticed the SP airbox hoses look rather restrictive:

The above hoses are the -10 suffix for the 91/92 SP

I found a pic on the tzr forum showing this:

Showing that the SPR airbox hoses don't have this restriction, the SPR uses 32mm carbs and not 36mm ones but it seems the O.D of the carb is the same. So I have ordered a pair of the later SPR airbox hoses with the suffix -20. I also have an SP upper airbox lid on the way too.

The rest of the plans for the bike are:

Decent pipes and silencers (on order)
Zeeltronic programmable igntion

I want this bike to be upto its full potential and hopefully I will get it there Very Happy

Hope you enjoyed the read so far, I will add more as I do more to the bike, the next job is MOT it over my christmas holidays.

Maccas
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maccas,

It's nice to see you making progress with the old charger, I really hope it all comes good for you.

I'll be keeping an eye on you to make sure you treat her right. Wink

Good luck!
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a stunner Maccas Cool

So how many bikes do you have now? Laughing
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3MA and 3XV ? Another excuse to post one of my favourite photos, featuring your actual bike. Wink

Glad to see it'll be back on the road being well used. I've done a few miles on it and can confirm it's a lovely thing. Very Happy

maccas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stew,

Lol too many is the answer! Im getting rid of the 2ma to make time to work on the rest of them. Thanks for the comments Very Happy

Tim,

Yeah i had seen your humber bridge tzr meet up pic ages ago and thought what a great pic it was, maybe we should try and get a bigger group of tzrs together at the same spot sometime?

Was the AA pic taken at donny services on the m18 by any chance?

Will you be bringing the 3ma to the sherburn two stroke meet this year by any chance? Id love to have a closer look at it.

Hopefully i will get the 3xv mot'd just before xmas Very Happy Very Happy

Maccas
Howie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im getting rid of the 2ma

No don't do it, I need to go over it with a fine tooth comb first, just so I know what mine is missing Laughing

Can we arrange the Humber bridge meet for about three years time? You know, once I've got mine road worthy Embarassed
twosmoke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my TZR's...

This 3MA dry clutch special was built by Darren Lane and features RGV forks and wheels.

Recently acquired TZR 3XV SP in as new condition with extremely low miles.

maccas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stew,

I am back in yorkshire over xmas for 4 weeks so I will gladly pop through with those barrels and have a quick look over your tzr to see if I can spot anything thats missing if you like?

twosmoke,

That SP is stunning, so is the 3ma! Very jealous!

Maccas
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Maccas,

Just PM either on here or the Kr1 forum to let me know when you're popping over.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccas wrote:
Was the AA pic taken at donny services on the m18 by any chance?

Yes it was.

maccas wrote:
Will you be bringing the 3ma to the sherburn two stroke meet this year by any chance? Id love to have a closer look at it.

Maybe. Although it embarrassed me last time. Might take it to Cadwell with Classic Bike Trackdays too. You can always pop round for a look sometime when you're back home. PM me and we'll work something out.

maccas wrote:
Yeah i had seen your humber bridge tzr meet up pic ages ago and thought what a great pic it was, maybe we should try and get a bigger group of tzrs together at the same spot sometime?

arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were lucky to get there... My powervalve linkage kept dropping off, and your clutch. Maybe this supports your new policy regarding riding other people's bikes. A mate in York had a ride on the 3XV and thought he'd blown it up as well. It was just out of fuel!
yanw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss questioned why I wouldn't want to ride 300+ miles on my 3XV for an event. I said old 2t are like riding a barrel of nitro-glycerine on a turbo charged pogo stick; loads of fun, for a while.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely Stunning Picture !!
Makes me want to buy another 2stroke...
Very Happy Very Happy
maccas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update:

Ordered lots of parts and emptied my bank account.

PDCI-20V Zeeltronic on the way from borut plus 2 of his uprated coils.
SP airbox lid.
SPR airbox rubbers
Stainless Steel Jim Lomas Silencers
Martin77 expansion chambers in kit form (thanks again Martin)
A dozen spark plugs for plug chopping
Main jets from 200-390
A selection of Powerjets from 50-100
Blanking plugs for carb heating circuit
Dial gauge for commissioning zeeltronic
Burette for measuring the clearance volume

Hopefully will get to do a lot of work on the bike over xmas and get it performing to its full potential.

I'm looking to get a fat midrange and I'm not too fussed about all out power, high 50's would be nice.

Update within the next couple of weeks with pics of parts.

Maccas
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serius stuff Maccas! Cool

Really looking forward to reading about your progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: