Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Arlurts old 3XV8 RS with SP engine!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maccas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few bits turned up at home, got my mum to send me the pics:

Martin's pipes (thanks martin)

Maccas
maccas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been beavering away on the bike the last couple of days:

My spr airbox rubbers and sp airbox lid arrived from Webbs of Lincoln, top service!

Huge difference:

All fitted now so thats that done.

Been on with welding up Martin's pipes:

My lomas silencers still haven't turned up yet so I have pinched the lomas cans off my KR1 until they do turn up:

Very happy with the pipes, fit really well and weigh nothing at all ;D thanks Martin!

Capped off the carb heating circuit properly with the yamaha blanking plugs and clips.

Commisioned the zeel static angle set at 63 degrees.

Right/front cylinder set at -2.5 degrees to get them both equal.

I will double check all the above making new reference marks etc.

Dial gauge is just the job!

I have both airjets wired in and they work fine.

Central jet on both cylinders 100 (1.0mm)
Solenoid 1 (number 2 in the blocks) 55 (0.55mm) left cylinder, 50 (0.5mm) right cylinder.
Solenoid 2 (number 3 in the blocks) 120 (1.2mm) both cylinders.

Airjets not operating just yet as I want to get the main jets in the right ballpark before playing with them.

Mains:

Right:320
Left:340

A quick test ride reveals four stroking at 9k on the tacho and also won't rev over 9k in neutral so I'm pretty confident I am rich, plugs were very blacked up after a quick plug chop in third and rolling back to my house.

If the weather warms up I will do more testing tomorrow.

Zeel has TZ curve minus 750 rpm loaded up now and revs lovely and quick off a closed throttle.

Quick video just uploading now:

Tacho started doing funny things you can see it in the video. I'm sure its nothing to worry about.

Zeeltronic fits nicely in the standard cdi place by the way for any prospective buyers.

Maccas
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maccas,

You look to be making great progress, good on yer. The SPR carb rubbers have certainly given you more flow than the opened up SP ones I'd bought. If I'd known about those I'd have had a pair rather than spending a load on money on the SP ones!

The SPR airbox lid doesn't look to have given you that much more than the "opened-up" RS one though. How are you going to get round the airbox restriction on the right cylinder? As far as I recall it was a narrowing of the rubber tube under the frame rail between the airbox "chimney" under the tank and the air filter housing behind the right side fairing. Is there an SPR part to replace this?

Hope you have a good Christmas getting to grips with it!
Howie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top job on the welding of the exhausts Maccas, did you do them yourself?

The bike looks fantastic Cool
maccas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread revival time!

Seeing as though the tzr forum is down I will update here for now.

Right some of you may know that the tzr blew up on me a few weeks ago during testing. I had it jetted a touch on the lean side and it seized up due to detonation on the left hand cylinder:

On strip down i found that the crank had corrosion damage on the left conrod and the little end bearing was all corroded up too so i bought a new SP crank for it from Wayne at CCS:

Corrosion:

Shiny new crank

Meanwhile Arlurt had very kindly sent me an SP crank he had with a dead big end to help rebuild my knackered one. Thanks again Karl! So my old crank and Arlurts dead one are at Dave Hedison in Brigg so that I can hopefully get a spare out of the two.

I've fully rebuilt the engine, anything that needed doing has been done, all gen yamaha where equivalent pattern is not available:

2 SP pistons
2 sets of rings
2 gudgeon pins
4 c clips
2 little end bearings
2 replated barrels from langcourts
5 clutch friction plates
2 reed valve gaskets
clutch cover gasket
water pump shaft seal
gearbox sprocket bearing
balance shaft bearing (not the needle roller one)
water pump cover gasket
2 new base gaskets
2 new powervalve seals
gear selector shaft seal
kickstart shaft seal
sprocket shaft seal
both powervalve cables
all new head studs
all new head nuts (threads were corroded on some)

Cost me and arm and a leg probably more than the above but have forgotten.

Work wise I have deburred the crankcases and matched the barrels into the cases with a dremel multi. I am now on with matching the powervalves into the exhaust port as they don'e quite match up at the moment. Also removed the water outlets on the back of the barrels and tapped them and fitted bolts with copper washers to seal them rather than using the rubber caps and clips.

The cases have had a good clean while being apart (not to a mint standard as I want to use the bike). Also ditched the two stroke pump as I am going to go premix instead.

Heres some pics:

Hopefully will be up and running in a few weeks, the engine is nearly back together, the cylinders should be on this week.

Until next time

Maccas
yanw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sexy Maccas Very Happy

I need the forum back up as I have found supply of rear seat cowls for £31 Shocked
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maccas,

You're an inspiration to us all, you've had it go bang, stripped and back together in less time than it took me to think about it!

Pleased the SP crank arrived safely, and hope you can do some good with it. I've still got some engine parts, but nothing as nice as your new ones. Do let me know if there's anything you need that I might be able to help with.

I was pleased with my self for bleeding the brakes on the SDR over the weekend, you've shown me what can be done, I'll keep my head down from now on. Embarassed
maccas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Karl!

I've made a bit more progress over the last couple of days, I will upload more pics tonight.

I'll let you know how i get on with the crank rebuild, quite a few people are also keen to know as they have rebuild candidate cranks that want looking at also.

Maccas
maccas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more done:

Looking more like an engine now, quickly running out of bits to put on the engine, will be making some plugs for the two stroke pipes and making some new boost bottle plugs then the reeds will be going in.

Will be fiddling around with the flywheel too, I want to change where the back of the lobe is on the flywheel.

Maccas
maccas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some new sugo plugs today as the other ones that were in the bike didn't come down far enough into the carb rubber:

Also plugged the two stroke oil pipes by pulling them out and tapping out with an m5X0.8mm tap and then putting an m5 caphead bolt in with a bit of threebond, jobs a good 'un!

Reeds all back in now:

Just a few more little jobs on it to do then its ready to go back in the bike, note to self, must remember to drain the fuel tank and swap it for premix! Would be a disaster if I forgot!

Maccas
louis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Maccas,

Nice to follow your project here Very Happy

How is it with the 3ma?
My hybride is running Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIK3wcD5xBk
Still needs lots of work

Cheers
maccas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis,

That sounds awesome! Well done mate i'm well impressed! Are you sticking with the open carb set up?

My 3ma has been put on the back burner for now as i can't afford to do anything to it after rebuilding my 3xv. The 3ma is next on the list though and i am going to go all out on it,flat top pistons,inserts in the head, zeeltronic,quickshifter, r6 rear shock, 17inch rear wheel, aluminium subframe, different carbs, going to make it as light as i can

Maccas
louis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maccas,

Yes that is the plan, open carbs, and no airjets (movie is without airjets)

Still a lot of work to do, but the pipes seem to work so far. Surprised
Your 3ma will be in good hands have no boubts about that.

Will follow your project here.

3Ma rules Razz

Cheers
Louis
maccas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine back in and running!

Just need to run it in now!

Maccas
maccas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right here are some pics:

11:30am Friday morning

Bike is running nice now, before when you revved it it used to settle at a 1000 rpm idle and then slowly creep up to 1500 rpm, this was caused by the leaky crank seals. It no longer does this.

New clutch friction plates fitted.
30 airjets fitted in central holes in VAJ blocks
320 mains left and right
Powervalve all set up flush to port roof.
2 stroke pump ditched which has removed some clutter
Removed water overflow tank and will replace with a small catch tank higher up near the radiator.

At the moment the huge mains are causing a very rich and spluttery midrange but it does get past this eventually and revs ok, once I've ran it in a bit more I will do some plug chops to make sure the jetting is ok up at the top end of the revs.

I can work out the rich midrange using the programmable airjets on the zeeltronic without even needing to touch the carbs. If I were to play with the carbs though dropping the needle in combination with a smaller needle jet would probably sort it.

Got it booked in on the dyno on Friday the 13th of April luckily i'm not superstitious lol.

Heres a video:

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z125/maccas125/?action=view&current=utf-8BVklERU8wMDI0LjNncA.mp4

Maccas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: