Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

Practical Sportsbikes Issue 20 (June 2012)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yanw

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Practical Sportsbikes Issue 20 (June 2012) Reply with quote

I am now most of the way through issue 20 of Practical Sportsbikes and I must say a big "well done" to the large number of names/faces/bikes from the DS site.

Many thanks to you guys and gals who have contributed to the mag and for bringing some 2T cheer to the pages.

If you don't read Practical Sportsbikes then you should give it a try. The writing is good and there is a fun mentality that reminds me of Performance Bikes in the late 80's and early 90's. It's so enjoyable I got a subscription and I am a tight git.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really struggle to get a copy of PS... None of the Local shops sell it and last Saturday (yesterday) in WHSmith they are still selling issue 19 for May... Rubbish !!

I really don't like direct debit magazine subscriptions - in this instance I may have no choice.

(hey put the Readers Wives and Centrefold sections in and it really would look like Performance Bikes / Superbike from the 80/90's ! Gets my vote - give an issue the Retro Page 3 treatment - bet it would be a big seller as a one off)

Nono
yanw

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is in the shops until Wednesday, if you subscribe you get it earlier. Only main WHSmiths stock it, not your local shop. They only have grot and Classic Bike.

I used to love the back page special in PB. Something changed mid-90's, they dropped the back page special and the mag became more about buying a new stock Fireplace and less about monkeying with your bike. I think they were chasing the advertising pound and the advertisers said the "market segment they wanted" wasn't yobs, it was suits with Blades. They had the money I guess.

Anyway, rant over. You can buy a 12 months mag with a one-off payment, you just don't get the "10 for the price of 12". I guess they want you to forget about getting round to cancelling the direct debit and keep paying them. Fair dues.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't subscribe, but I asked my local newsagent to stock it and they get a few copies in especially, try asking yours to do the same. Very Happy

Thought I might actually get a free copy this month (and the missus too seeing as she lent them 2 of her bikes) but it looks like we'll have to buy our own on Wednesday. Rolling Eyes

By the way, I was a huge PB fan from the beginning but they lost it last year and I don't even flick through it in WHSmiths any more...
yanw

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I thought they would bung you a mag or two for helping out. Maybe the printing/distribution is a different company and they don't get access to any free copies as it "is not in the contract and an additional paid for service". (I am getting close to a rant about outsourcing and how it is a cancer on the ar5e of business so I will back off at this point).

I remember "back in the day" when I wrote a sub-article for PB they sent me a mag and a thank you letter saying "no money sorry, just the kudos and a free mag". Made my week Very Happy
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB borrowed my RB50 a couple of years ago. I asked for a copy of all the professional photos, which they sent me on CD, and they sent me a couple of free T-shirts too. Bike came back dirty and scuffed though, with PB stickers on it. Rolling Eyes

Not had any offers from PS yet, other than looking to replace the NSR tank breather which somehow went missing while they had it. And they're paying for a top-end rebuild of the KS-II which they blew up during the test too. Crying or Very sad

Think we've done our bit loaning our toys to the magazines, they're not getting their hands on any more.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:

Think we've done our bit loaning our toys to the magazines, they're not getting their hands on any more.

Looking forward to seeing the write up in PS !

But... Totally agree if they don't look after the bikes I wouldn't loan the mag any of mine! The free mag would be little consolation - and it doesn't look like you even get that any more !! Mad
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the latest issue is in the post to me, they've found the missing tank breather (but it's damaged so they're ordering a new one) and the KS is having a £300 top-end rebuild at the magazine's expense. So can't complain really.

What's disappointing is that I was hoping to arrange a big Gag day with a dozen different bikes so we could all join in. Ah well.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got our free copy each, a day before it hit the shops. Very Happy

The article came out really well I reckon, if I didn't already own one of those bikes then I'd be out looking for one now for sure. Hoping to get copies of some of the photos from the shoot too. Wink

Shame we didn't manage a TZM50 too, but it all happened a bit quick. Crying or Very sad
wolfman

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
is there any pics of the caddy trackday in the mag?
maccas

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there are quite a few! I managed to get in on the kr wahoo!

Il put a pic up on here 2moro

Dan
maccas

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there are quite a few! I managed to get in on the kr wahoo!

Il put a pic up on here 2moro

Dan
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a good pic of you Dan ! Very Happy
maccas

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time i've been in a magazine! They got me mixed up with Salty but nevermind ey!

Does anyone know any of the contact details for the photographers that were there on the day? I wouldn't mind trying to get the original of this pic

Dan
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, email Jim Moore (address at bottom of page 5) and ask him if he can send you a copy of that pic. They're usually OK with this, as long as you credit the photo if you post it anywhere else later on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Petrolhead Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: