Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

New to me R1Z 250

View previous topic :: View next topic  
howARD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: New to me R1Z 250 Reply with quote

Having just bought fatboy128's R1Z i am in two minds what to do with it, I runs well and handles well but there's room for improvement.

I have a pair of 4HW USD forks, will these fit without too much hassle, i would like to use high bars not clip ons,do i use the standard R1z front wheel, do i need adapter plates to use blue spot calipers, are there any other wheels i could use ?

Can i improve performance, flat out it will do about 175kph , will end cans work or are the pipes restricted, what other mods should i do ?
Tom Mac
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've got the yokes as well then you could make the USDs fit. the Unique R!Z clocks may look out of place though as i doubt they'll match up the the 4HW yoke but you could get a one off one machined up to suit.

you could keep the R1Z front wheel, but you may need the make spacers to suit the new forks, not a difficult job.

Tuning wise, firstly check what CDI you've got on the bike, some R1Zs were restricted to 40bhp, There was a "race" R1Z CDI available in Japan but these are like Hen's teeth and very expensive when they do come up for sale.
then I'd suggest getting a pair of TZR250 2MA/1KT carbs, these are 28mm dia instead of the R1Z carbs which are 26mm dia and getting a set of TZR250 2MA/1KT aftermarket exhausts.
That see a few more ponies realeased Very Happy
howARD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: r1z Reply with quote

I do have the yolks with the forks and It looks like the wheel should fit but can i use blue spots ?

The bike is an early model so i think it has the less restricted CDi unit fitted so I'll have a look for some carbs and pipes , anything else i would need ?
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding the CDI, you could try an Ignitech or Zeeltronic unit. they are both fully programmable CDi boxes but would need a dyno session to get the best from them. I recently bought an Ignitech YPVS controller for my SDR, Good piece of kit!
howARD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered a Zeeltronic ignition, wondered if the 2MA top end and carbs would make a big difference to it ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: