Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

New sdr200 owner, oh no what have I done!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: New sdr200 owner, oh no what have I done! Reply with quote

Hi.

I've been on the search for a sdr200 for a few months now and today I managed to get one! Well actually two! a spare motor and a rather nice race system!

Sdr1 is ok needs a lot of tidying has lots of aftermarket bits including a race exhaust and a brembo brake calliper and mahoosive disc etc.

Sdr2 is in bits and is a full project but totally original! But needs the tank repairing or replacing.

Both in black but I might opt for a change in colour eventually for the non standard one.

I will upload pics tomorrow. Wish me luck with my new projects! Gulp!!

Kris
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Kris!

Looking forward to the pictures and the story of your rebuild.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the project Thumbs Up

I really enjoy hiding in the garage on dark evenings, preferably with my favourite tipple. In fact that's when most of my best work seems to get done... On the sauce Very Happy

Like the SDR, it's one of those bikes I dare not ride because I'm sure that I would fall in love and have to have one or three in the shed.. Rolling Eyes
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is a pic of SDR 1.

A bit of a hodge podge of parts and definately needs a good going over, the speedo and caliper brackets are a bit Heath Robinson.

but its complete. an unkown exhaust, any ideas of make anyone?

SDR 2 is a pile of bits so no pics of that.

I pick them up at the end of the month.

but i have got this in my garage, an Alpha Racing system, looks quite nice.

SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to start with, where did you manage to find them, looks like outside a dealer???

No idea what the exhaust is, but Jackal? did an SDR pipe (seen it on a few over the years) You really don't need that Alpha racing pipe, it looks all rusty and worn out, send it my way Smile
(if you decide to sell it, let me know)

I've never seen one with a hugger before, is it a good fit or has it been bodged with cable ties etc? wouldn't mind a close-up if it's genuine, and those brakes are going to stop you like nothing else, a nice bit of overkill seing as the bikes weigh very little, is it a TZR jobbie?
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought them from a friend of a friend who imported them. So both aren't registered yet.

The hugger fits well and is in good condition.

The Alpha racing exhaust is going to cleaned up and eventually fitted.

The other race exhaust needs repairing slightly which is an easy fix.

The brembo caliper,disc and master cylinder looks Ducati could be wrong though.
maccas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kris,

Long time no speak, I still have your old project 3ma and it will be a runner/roller once again sometime in the near future Very Happy

Regarding the unknown pipe, going on the rear silencer alone I would say its a "sportshop ishi" pipe. They are a good japanese pipe if that's what it is.

Dan
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maccas wrote:
Hi Kris,

Long time no speak, I still have your old project 3ma and it will be a runner/roller once again sometime in the near future Very Happy

Regarding the unknown pipe, going on the rear silencer alone I would say its a "sportshop ishi" pipe. They are a good japanese pipe if that's what it is.

Dan

Hello mate.

Glad you still got it, prices are on the up 3ma's I see too will be great bike that.

Thanks for the info on the pipe I have found the SS Ishi shop brochure and pipe work looks the same but so does the sp tadeo pipe work either way its a bonus! Wink
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a spare SDR motor in my garage it got me thinking if anyone has done any tuning work on these motors?

The spare motor I have is compete but seized so whilst its apart I just wondered if there was anything worth doing??
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Martin Johnson did some porting work on my bike and made the nice exhaust for it when Hodkdawilldahonk owned it. I haven't been in to the engine so can't say what's been done, but Martin is a member on this forum and has offered me advice on fuelling here before. If you look through the thread on my SDR you'll find a reply from him, try sending him a PM.
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, yes I noticed he had done some work to match it with the exhausts.

Will give him a pm when I'm closer to stripping it.

Kris
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just taken the head off this motor and the nuts off the barrel! It's definitely seized! Lol

It appears the internals barrels, bottom end con rod etc have a quite a bit of surface rust on them, can this be sorted or does it mean its scrapped?

Also I take it all sdr200 motors are only stamped with 2tv on the block meaning you can swap motors over without numbers not matching?

Sorry for all the questions.
StrokerBoy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibby4585 wrote:
Also I take it all sdr200 motors are only stamped with 2tv on the block meaning you can swap motors over without numbers not matching?

Common on JDM Yamahas, my TZR motor is just stamped '3MA'.
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrokerBoy wrote:
Ibby4585 wrote:

Common on JDM Yamahas, my TZR motor is just stamped '3MA'.

Yep was just checking my 3ma's only had them too, makes engine swaps far easier.
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amongst my sdr parts I have a tank that has small rusty hole. Obviously knowing the perils of braising and welding near fuel does anyone know who could repair it?

Another problem is the tank has a cap which is fitted and no key! I'm pretty sure you still can't remove the cap by undoing Allen bolts as the cap secures on the lip of the tank? Is this correct?

Anyone had any experience of resolving this without destroying the tank or cap too much??

Kris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: