Go to Main Site Diff'rent Strokers
For fans of oddball two-strokes everywhere

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classic Bike Trackdays

New sdr200 owner, oh no what have I done!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a couple of hours spare so I thought I would try and start the sdr1. But I don't seem to be getting any power to the ignition. Checked the battery, fuse swapped regulators and checked connections but nothing. No idiot light ping up and the ypvs doesn't do it's routine.

The only thing I can think of is the ignition wiring/connector.

Any ideas anyone?
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it got a dodgy cdi ? Question
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah will check the cdi, I think it might have something to do with the terrible wiring for the aftermarket crappy clocks. It's a bloody birds nest of dodgy connections and solder.

Will try tidy this all up first then test the ignition and cdi's.
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds more fundamental than a dodgy CDI. I'd expect an ignition light at least. Are the lights working, headlight, brake, tail? If nothings there you know you're just looking to see where the main 12V feed's gone.
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Had a few hours today trying to sort out the wiring behind the light dome as described in my earlier post. I think the main problem has been quick (shite) wiring from the aftermarket clocks.

I've had to remove all the clocks and cut into the wiring to remove them. I'm slowly getting there and I think I've narrowed it down to a broken pin in the plug to the ignition. I won't be able to check until I've fixed all the other wiring but I'm hopeful. Wink
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm after these. Can anyone tell me if there is another bike that uses the same set up and is still available?

I know the 3ma uses it but I'm pretty sure I tried getting one and they were discontinued

Ibby4585

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally got power to sdr1! After going through all the wiring repairing and fitting new connectors, fitting original clocks, it's alive ! Well pleased considering I'm useless with electrical faults.

The plan now is to give this bike a quick service and get it running and use it as guide to do a nut and bolt restoration on the sdr2.

I have a few bits coming from Japan for my rebuild including a nice carbon front hugger. Wink
SP_BOTT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RD500 could possibly have the fuel outlets, as they also have a remote tap, was going to say 3ma, but you know that Smile ( this one is also a combined vshutoff valve too, so would cost more) FZ750 as a thought?
Just had a look on fleabay, FZ tap is single outlet, weren't these electronic/electric reserve 'switch' so probably no good.
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers sp bott.

I've managed to find another two hose tank fixing just need two fuel tank filters now.
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully serviced the SDR1 and started first kick not bad seeing as it hasn't been started for a few years. They make an odd sound with a race system on lol!

Very happy so this now can be rolled to the corner of the garage and I can start work on the sdr2 full rebuild.
Top-shaggy
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibby4585 wrote:
Fully serviced the SDR1 and started first kick... They make an odd sound with a race system on lol!

Go on then you teaser... Let us have picture and sound.. Laughing
Ibby4585

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get time I will post some pics up at the weekend. Although there isn't much to look at its a funnel direct to the carbs and a whole load of wires. It will tidied up before I put it away.

The only thing I'm struggling with is the neutral lamp isn't working ive changed the bulb and chased the wires to the plug, so I'm thinking a sensor somewhere has broke.

Taking the sdr2 crank and barrel to pj engineers this month to get the motor work started.
2TV owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

Hi Ibby,

Just looking at the pics of your sdr, what is the front caliper bracket made of on your one with the engine in? just getting some parts together to do something with my front brake and need some inspiration to mount my caliper. I have an FZR600 caliper to fit to a 320 floater from an Aprilia (same as YAM) and trying to decide steel or ally for a bracket. Your set up looks similar to what i have. I have an SDR by the way!

Thanks in advance Smile

Justin
arlurt
Show Star !
Show Star !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has a similar disc and calliper, but with a simpler bracket. have a look at the pictures in my thread further down the Yamaha section to see if that gives you any ideas for an alternative approch.
2TV owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

Yes i studied your thread on the disc/cailper but i ended up with a 320mm disc which almost fills the rim! I got an FZR600 caliper to mount up and it looks like mine will have to be on the lines of Ibby's rather than your set up. If i'd have done a bit more homework i would have got myself a Brembo as they seem to have the mounting holes a lot closer together which makes the option you went a lot easier. I found these on an SDR Japan site. Bit pricey though £120 plus whatever postage/import duty etc
http://www.sdr200.com/?pid=1998935
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diff'rent Strokers Forum Index -> Yamaha All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: